Atlantic Fleet coming to Steam

Started by IronX, February 24, 2016, 01:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bbmike

Thanks, guys. This is starting to look more interesting...
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak


Barthheart

The damage is visual as well. If you take out a turret, all it's gun barrels will be pointing a skew downward. You can start fires that can set off secondary explosions.

Ships have main and secondary guns you can fire, but only one set a turn, ie some/all main guns OR some/all secondary guns. Some ships have torps you can fire. You can call in land based air strikes and all the ships nearby will fire flak at the plane.

Aircraft carriers have airstrikes that can be launched. You can damage the deck of a CV and delay air strikes until it's repaired.

Subs can attack with torps or deck guns. You can stalk a convoy at periscope depth before you attack. Escorts will hunt you with sonar and depth charges as you maneuver and dive trying to get away.

There's night battles where your sight is shortened and you need to rely on surface radar.... or fire star shells that help to correct your firing solutions.

It's is a fun game but it's not overly groggy.

WallysWorld

I just bought it and I'm just starting up the tutorial. Graphics look very good coming from an iOS port.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Barthheart

I think they "upped" the graphics since the port over to PC... those sample pics look way better than the stuff on my iPad...

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

WallysWorld

For that price, it seems to be worth it for me at least.

Just finished the third training mission and sunk three German freighters with the HMS Queen Elizabeth. I like how the gunnery range is roughly estimated at first and then narrows down slowly to more accurate numbers. It led to my first couple of shots being off at 19,000 yards and then started straddling the target on the third shot.

I too played Great Naval Battles and thought that was a great game.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Shelldrake

I had a go at Victory at Sea but it didn't really grab me. Might have been the real-time aspect although I like WoW and that is as real time as you can get.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

WallysWorld

I see little figures on the deck beside the guns and on the open bridges of the destroyers, but the figures do not move if I remember correctly.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

MengJiao

Quote from: WallysWorld on February 25, 2016, 01:02:54 PM
For that price, it seems to be worth it for me at least.

Just finished the third training mission and sunk three German freighters with the HMS Queen Elizabeth. I like how the gunnery range is roughly estimated at first and then narrows down slowly to more accurate numbers. It led to my first couple of shots being off at 19,000 yards and then started straddling the target on the third shot.

I too played Great Naval Battles and thought that was a great game.

For 10 bucks USA, it is a strangely satisfying game and all I've done is the sink freighters training missions.  Nice to see tribal class DDs!

Gusington

Thanks Wally...so little static stick figure crews...that works for me.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

WallysWorld

#27
Anti-aircraft fire is definitely deadly as I had three "Stringbags" shot down by German freighters during one of the training missions.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Barthheart

Yes it's deadly. Try to pick an approach angle that gets away form other ships. And try not to hold on too long...  Kinda like playing chicken.  ^-^

tgb