Atlantic Fleet coming to Steam

Started by IronX, February 24, 2016, 01:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

#105
Quote from: Barthheart on March 10, 2016, 08:15:53 AM
I've never had a problem with the enemy subs, or mine for that matter, starting so close and getting the first easy kills. I take this to represent the effort they spent to get to that point and my forces being surprised. Subs were really a very scary weapon in WWII. That's the point. You usually didn't know they were in your midst until the first ship was struck/sunk.


One big problem with the initial set-up conditions involving wolf packs has been where the convoy escorts are located.  They start lined up as part of the box formation of the convoy.  They may be on the outside line but they are close-in and, therefore, pretty much useless as a convoy screen.  Those DDs should be further out, forcing subs to approach from further out & ahead. 

Hell, my large wolfpack attack example started with two British DDs lined up on the same side of the convoy, just as cargo vessels would be.  Which is just wrong.  The BB was also out ahead of the rest by one space.   

I've been an avid sub simmer for decades.  This sub vs convoy attack setup doesn't jive well with me, it's presumptions causing issues.  Escorts also have insanely accurate sonar, which makes the ASW further problematic.  The subs are also automatically detected from the very beginning.  It boils down to the subs taking their free & easy shots on the first turn, then diving to maximum depth to automatically leave the battle.  Because the AI escorts will sail straight to them & kill them on the first DC run if they haven't.

The simplification in the surface warfare part is fine, and works well enough to be a nice "Lite" & enjoyable portrayal.  But the sub warfare is too simplified in numerous ways.  So the ASW part of the game hasn't been a good representation in my few experiences.  Unfortunately, this is the Atlantic war so it has tons of ASW in the campaign. 

I still think a sequel in the Pacific would be far superior, playing to the game's surface warfare strength and having less ASW focus.  This is a great game with a great price and I've enjoyed it thus far.  I just hope this series progresses further, and that this facet gets much needed refinement along the way.  :)

Boggit

How does it compare to Victory at Sea? It looks like it's very entertaining even if there are issues with it, but at least the Dev seems to be patching. Anyway, I'm in from what you guys are saying. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on March 13, 2016, 11:15:05 PM

I still think a sequel in the Pacific would be far superior, playing to the game's surface warfare strength and having less ASW focus.  This is a great game with a great price and I've enjoyed it thus far.  I just hope this series progresses further, and that this facet gets much needed refinement along the way.  :)

Actually, I believe Atlantic Fleet is the sequel. The series started with Pacific Fleet and Pacific Fleet 2. They are only available on the ios though.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Boggit

Just downloaded and played the Graf Spee scenario. I lost all my ships but the GS was so damaged it got scuttled. What a great little game. It seems a cross between Battlefleet 2 for the mechanics and Victory at Sea for the 3d modelling. I think the ship modelling in AF is sharper than VAS, and you get far better zoom.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Cyrano

I was profoundly disappointed in VaS, a game I'd liked a great deal on the tabletop.

And it's funny, Charles, that you mention the zoom.  Drove me absolutely mad in VaS.

This is a very, very good game that would, for me, become irreplaceable if it had MP.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Boggit

@Cyrano :)
I think it does have multiplayer. I haven't explored it much, but the scenario's allow for another human player because you can turn that off/on in the scenario menu. I admit, I have no idea whether it works online, or how you would send your turns, but there is definitely the suggestion of multiplayer. I'll send you a screen from the conversation I've had with Sauron about multiplayer.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Nefaro

Quote from: Boggit on March 22, 2016, 09:14:18 PM
@Cyrano :)
I think it does have multiplayer. I haven't explored it much, but the scenario's allow for another human player because you can turn that off/on in the scenario menu. I admit, I have no idea whether it works online, or how you would send your turns, but there is definitely the suggestion of multiplayer. I'll send you a screen from the conversation I've had with Sauron about multiplayer.

I thought it was just hotseat capable?

Boggit

@Nefaro :)

Oh you might be right there. I saw the opportunity to have a second player, and 2+2=5 so thinking multiplayer. Like I said it was just a first impression, and didn't look very far into it.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Nefaro

Quote from: Boggit on March 24, 2016, 10:01:58 PM
@Nefaro :)

Oh you might be right there. I saw the opportunity to have a second player, and 2+2=5 so thinking multiplayer. Like I said it was just a first impression, and didn't look very far into it.

Should add multi via IP to the Want List for the next version. 

I saw a dev post, regarding just such a request, that they were considering another series release in the future with multi-player and some other stuff.  Whether that happens... I dunno.

Boggit

It would be a very neat feature. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat