Napoleon - Victory And Glory

Started by tgb, February 28, 2016, 10:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bboyer66

Quote from: Hofstadter on March 17, 2016, 04:23:51 PM
Not sure if ill get this one. Doesnt seem to offer a lot of gameplay options, which is fair considering its basically a board game

What options are you looking for?

Philippe

Depth, for one thing.

That strategic map looks pretty simplistic, even for beer and pretzels.




Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Hofstadter

#17
It reminds me of the campaigns for pike and shot. Except it trades 3d battles for more strategic options.

I really dont like idea of two months per turn. Thats a bit much

EDIT: actually i might get this. Im kinda split on it 32 AUD is a lot less than i was expecting
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

bboyer66

Here is the 106 page manual. While obviously not as in depth as say Empires in Arms, the game so far is playable, the AI seems to be decent, and it is actually fun.

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/443020/manuals/SLIT_NVaG_Materials_Manual_Ebook.pdf?t=1458230766

Hofstadter

Yeah I'm not getting it. Its basically a simplified 2d version of Total War Napoleon
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

jomni

Quote from: Hofstadter on March 18, 2016, 01:55:36 AM
Yeah I'm not getting it. Its basically a simplified 2d version of Total War Napoleon

So Hannibal is a 2D simplified Total War Rome?

Hofstadter

Cant really say since I've never seen it. But looking at this title. Simplified diplomacy, simplified battles, simplified movement. There doesnt seem to be anything to drag me in, in regards to its level of depth
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

-budd-

I'm intrigued, as many times as i've tried to get into the time period and failed with other games, maybe simple is the way to go for me. Simple doesn't always mean a lack of depth and also AI 's are usually better in the less complex games which appeals to a SP gamer. I'll be keeping my eye on it.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Steelgrave

I'm with you, Budd. Not everything I buy has to be War in the East. Sometimes I just want a game I can jump into and relax with. I picked this up yesterday, hoping to get some time into it over the weekend.

-budd-

Quote from: Steelgrave on March 18, 2016, 07:35:38 AM
I'm with you, Budd. Not everything I buy has to be War in the East. Sometimes I just want a game I can jump into and relax with. I picked this up yesterday, hoping to get some time into it over the weekend.

post some impressions please when you get some play time.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

bboyer66

Think we are hitting on something here. While it may not have the depth of a Napoleonic Game that has a 10000 hex map, and 15 pages of rules on creating the Confederation of the Rhine. This was a game  that I was able to start playing almost immediately,having watched just a few videos. Also the AI is better due to the fact that there are not 10000 hexes or areas for it to decide where to move.  The Hearts of Iron series to me is the epitome of a game with so much depth, and bells and whistles , that the AI has no idea how to use them effectively.  Look at the latest AGEOD Napoleonic Game. Tons of depth, and lots of decisions to be made. Then read the forums and you will see many people just don't think the AI has the capability any more to effectively play the game, and that a new engine is needed.

So I actually find it refreshing to find a game that cuts out a lot of the minutia, to make it more playable, and AI friendly.



Cyrano

The board that sits "under" this game used to sit framed on my wall, so I'm certainly a bit biased, but the lack of MP is just KILLING me.

There are very few Napoleonic games that will not tempt me to a purchase.  Some are grand (everything HPS/JTS and "March of Eagles") some are grand failures (Crown of Glory), and some have made me scratch my head (N:TW, AGEOD, Matrix's Empires in Arms, and the nonsense that was Commander: Napoleon at War).  I here adjudge SoW:W a wondrous incomplete.  They absolutely need not and should not be all the same difficulty and I'm liking this offering well enough for what it is.  And am perturbed that there is no MP.

That said, 10,000 hexes?  Seriously?  And you call yourself a grog??!!  By my math, the operational map for JTS: Leipzig sits at 490,000.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Barthheart

Quote from: Cyrano on March 18, 2016, 11:03:53 AM
The board that sits "under" this game used to sit framed on my wall, so I'm certainly a bit biased, but the lack of MP is just KILLING me.

There are very few Napoleonic games that will not tempt me to a purchase.  Some are grand (everything HPS/JTS and "March of Eagles") some are grand failures (Crown of Glory), and some have made me scratch my head (N:TW, AGEOD, Matrix's Empires in Arms, and the nonsense that was Commander: Napoleon at War).  I here adjudge SoW:W a wondrous incomplete.  They absolutely need not and should not be all the same difficulty and I'm liking this offering well enough for what it is.  And am perturbed that there is no MP.

That said, 10,000 hexes?  Seriously?  And you call yourself a grog??!!  By my math, the operational map for JTS: Leipzig sits at 490,000.

Jim, if you get the boardgame version of this I'd gladly give it a try with you at Origins....even though it's a Nappy game. Looks very interesting......

stolypin

This will be my next purchase.  I've never gotten into the AEGOD system and the AI of HPS/JTS Napoleonic titles doesn't cut it. 

And I have all the "depth" and complexity I need right now with Command.

Hofstadter

Okay, I take back my earlier reservations, this game is bloody fun.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"