2016 Running Football Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, February 28, 2016, 06:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

NFL viewership is down sharply this season.  It is especially down for those under 35.

I've read a couple of stories about this.  Most of them blame the election.  But the National Anthem protests could not be helping matters.

Bison

I think there are a number of factors that are pulling down the NFL's ratings this year.   I'd rather watch college athletics whether its football, basketball, or a number of other sports. 

mirth

Too many NFL games are totally unwatchable. And it is a rules driven league now. You spend more time debating calls than watching plays on the field.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Steelgrave

Quote from: airboy on October 09, 2016, 10:20:17 AM
NFL viewership is down sharply this season.  It is especially down for those under 35.

I've read a couple of stories about this.  Most of them blame the election.  But the National Anthem protests could not be helping matters.

I would add that Americans like fair play and that has been perceived as an issue for the last couple of seasons. Whether one is a Patriot fan or not, the way the league handled Deflategate in no way resembled a fair hearing or outcome. The NFL operated behind closed doors and put forth an incompetent investigation, then refused to consider anything which might point to an outcome besides the Pats cheating. To a large degree, the way the NFL has handled player discipline as a whole has been inconsistent and dictatorial. Guys who get busted smoking pot are treated as harshly as guys who batter their women. A botched Super Bowl in Dallas where too many seats were sold, the Hall of Fame game this season where the NFL may have kept fans in their seats for hours despite knowing the game wouldn't be played....Goodell's mantra of "Protect the Shield" has become a mockery as he has done more damage to it than prior commissioners combined.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

airboy

In the gym today I saw the Steeler's uniforms.  They look like athletic bumble-bees.
Reminded me of that horrid Blind Melon song.  Now it is stuck in my head. 
I hate the Steelers now.

mirth

I like that Blind Melon song! Hate the Steelers regardless of uniform.

Steelgrave

Hey Viking fans, how you liking that Sam Bradford trade so far???  As an unabashed Bradford fan from his Sooner days, I'd love for Sam to finally live up to his billing. Looks like a case of right guy/right situation for all involved. Just....just keep him upright, fellas. Trust me on that one   O0

mirth

Who thinks Tony Romo will ever again be the starter for Dallas?

Steelgrave

Not I. Dak is looking good, way better than we had any right to expect. If Tony somehow retires with a Super Bowl ring, it will be as a backup or a starter somewhere else.

mirth

Dak looks very friggin good. Romo would have 10 INTS at this point in the season.

Dallas with a for real QB could be a real PITA.

Gusington

I once had faith that Ryan Fitzpatrick was a real QB :(

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

bayonetbrant

Blind Melon had far better songs
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth