Civilization V: Vox Populis

Started by RedArgo, April 26, 2016, 01:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RedArgo

Fan made update to Civ 5 that changes the happiness mechanic, victory conditions, and other stuff.  Anybody try it?  I think I may check it out this weekend.

Here's the RPS write up:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/26/civilization-v-community-patch-project/?
utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RockPaperShotgun+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%29

Barthheart

That looks really cool... until you go the mod page and read how to install it...  :o I'd need a lot of time to work with those instructions and files to get it up and running.... maybe someday....
OR hope that when the "Official" release comes later this summer they've streamlined the process...

Barthheart

OK, I was wrong about this. The download is a full fledged installer. There are a few options for you to choose from but just use the default that installs all the bells a whistles. Easy like pie.

WOW! The game is very different.... the same but very changed. Getting creamed so far on Prince... may have to drop another level to learn all the new systems.

Here's a direct link to the mod:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=528034

Get it if you enjoy CiV at all...  :D


Boggit

I have Civ5 installed on Steam. Will the installer take that into account, or will I be better waiting until it is in the Steam workshop?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Barthheart

My CiV is Steam as well. Works just fine.

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

RedArgo

I had no problem installing or running it, so far anyway.  I don't have a couple DLCs the docs say are required, so that may cause problems at some point.

I've only played about an hour, so I don't have much of an up or down opinion yet, but wow, they changed just about everything.

The techs, buildings, and units are different.  Part of the mod is a UI enhancement that puts way more info on the screen.  Supposedly the AI should be much improved, including combat AI, which was one of my biggest problems before.

Barthheart, if I read it right, they got rid of the lower difficulty levels, so playing on Prince now is like whatever was above King before.  I'm trying Prince, so we'll see how it goes.

If the game stays fun and the AI is better, this will really breathe new life into Civ5 for me now.

Here's a link to the documentation:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LpMswoeLDnAi6Zaqemyhjr2g1xaBPMTc6sXmKU8ERlg/edit?pli=1#

Barthheart

Quote from: RedArgo on April 29, 2016, 07:51:57 PM
I had no problem installing or running it, so far anyway.  I don't have a couple DLCs the docs say are required, so that may cause problems at some point.

I've only played about an hour, so I don't have much of an up or down opinion yet, but wow, they changed just about everything.

The techs, buildings, and units are different.  Part of the mod is a UI enhancement that puts way more info on the screen.  Supposedly the AI should be much improved, including combat AI, which was one of my biggest problems before.

Barthheart, if I read it right, they got rid of the lower difficulty levels, so playing on Prince now is like whatever was above King before.  I'm trying Prince, so we'll see how it goes.

If the game stays fun and the AI is better, this will really breathe new life into Civ5 for me now.

Here's a link to the documentation:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LpMswoeLDnAi6Zaqemyhjr2g1xaBPMTc6sXmKU8ERlg/edit?pli=1#

Yep, I finally took a close look at the difficulty level...  :o  I think I'll be playing at Warlord for a bit until I get a handle on all the new stuff.

Thanks for the doc link. I need to do some reading.....

RedArgo

I haven't used a mod in a long time, so I don't know if this is specific to this mod or all of them, but I discovered this morning that to load a saved game you have to go through the mod menu and load the saved game from there and not the normal load game process.  It crashed on me loading the game a couple times before I figured that out.

Barthheart

That's normal for the mods that are very involved. Simple ones can be done the normal way.

Tuna

Does this hurt your regular install?

Barthheart

No. It's a mod that you have to activate by going to the Mod section in the setup screen.

jomni

Quote from: Barthheart on May 01, 2016, 04:55:14 PM
No. It's a mod that you have to activate by going to the Mod section in the setup screen.

It's saved in my docs too so nothing to do with core files.

Barthheart

Early thoughts:

AI is better at war, even the City States put up a fight now... in fact one took a city of mine, then became allied with a different power so now I can't get my city back without declaring war of the New power.  >:( And I'm playing on Chieftain level, just to get used to the new mechanics.

I'm liking the new happiness scheme. And the reworked tech tree.

No more buying City States, you need to build and send envoy/diplomats, so if they are not near it can take a while for your diplo to get there and probably someone closer will beat you to the punch.
If you Pledge to Protect a CS, and you can only do this if your military is in the top 5 on the planet, if their city gets damaged your relation with them degrades at a faster pace.

Keeping me busy while I wait fer Stellaris.....  :D

bbmike

So is this still just a war-fest or did they change the diplomacy so that you can actually have allies that won't turn on you just to win the game "like a human player"?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak