Friday.....I Would Die For You

Started by JudgeDredd, April 29, 2016, 12:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PanzersEast


Will be playing Caves of Qud and UnReal World, dying has never been so fun. Also continuing my Xenonauts campaign with mods.

I also have a campaign with EUIV with possibility of DOM4 or COE4. 


A little prep-work for my Legions to finish off the Gallic tribes and stop the Falling Sky.


PE

mikeck

Like Boggit, I found my self playing Endless Legends again. Also started up a CK2 game as the Duke of Anjou in 1136...no reason. Someone started watching Game of Thrones again.

I'm still finding it hard to drop Graviteam Mius front. It's just such an awesome game I always go back.

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Sir Slash

Been trying all week to get Mc Clellan to activate in Civil War 2. I give him a big-ass army and he just sits there in front of Charlottesville, Va. stared-down by a few thousand Confederates. He won't move so, it's time to RE-move him. I'm putting Gen. Whipple in charge. With a name like that, he's probably been fighting his whole life so maybe he'll do something. Also started the Russian Campaign in CMRT just because I want to end the month with getting my ass kicked so I'll start May.... humble.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mikeck

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 29, 2016, 10:37:18 AM
Been trying all week to get Mc Clellan to activate in Civil War 2. I give him a big-ass army and he just sits there in front of Charlottesville, Va. stared-down by a few thousand Confederates. He won't move so, it's time to RE-move him. I'm putting Gen. Whipple in charge. With a name like that, he's probably been fighting his whole life so maybe he'll do something. Also started the Russian Campaign in CMRT just because I want to end the month with getting my ass kicked so I'll start May.... humble.  ::)

How is ACW 2 now? When we parted ways, Athena was doing nothing with her Ginormous army of the Potomac and Army of Ohio while I ran roughshod over Virginia and Tennessee. So we switched sides and Athena sent -the quite willing I'm sure- General Jackson on a foray north of Pittsburg with a division. After he starved, Athena sent a few more Division and Corp sized raids to the Great Lakes while my army moved over Virginia like syrup over pancakes.

I am an AGEOD fan but was less than impressed. I'm convinced the engine is only really good in conflicts with no traditional lines. (Best games are Rise of Prussia, Wars in America, Roman stuff and Russian civil war). I'm a big ACW fan so would love to have it work right.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

MengJiao

Quote from: mikeck on April 29, 2016, 11:19:13 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on April 29, 2016, 10:37:18 AM
Been trying all week to get Mc Clellan to activate in Civil War 2. I give him a big-ass army and he just sits there in front of Charlottesville, Va. stared-down by a few thousand Confederates. He won't move so, it's time to RE-move him. I'm putting Gen. Whipple in charge. With a name like that, he's probably been fighting his whole life so maybe he'll do something. Also started the Russian Campaign in CMRT just because I want to end the month with getting my ass kicked so I'll start May.... humble.  ::)

How is ACW 2 now? When we parted ways, Athena was doing nothing with her Ginormous army of the Potomac and Army of Ohio while I ran roughshod over Virginia and Tennessee. So we switched sides and Athena sent -the quite willing I'm sure- General Jackson on a foray north of Pittsburg with a division. After he starved, Athena sent a few more Division and Corp sized raids to the Great Lakes while my army moved over Virginia like syrup over pancakes.

I am an AGEOD fan but was less than impressed. I'm convinced the engine is only really good in conflicts with no traditional lines. (Best games are Rise of Prussia, Wars in America, Roman stuff and Russian civil war). I'm a big ACW fan so would love to have it work right.

I agree.  Athena does a very strange job in ACW2.  I took Richmond and most of Virginia in early 1862 while Athena sent lots of Southern armies off to die in the wilds of Pennsylvania.  But as you say, in other contexts, she does well.

JasonPratt

Was it any better in ACW1, or has it gotten worse?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: PanzersEast on April 29, 2016, 08:21:27 AM

Will be playing Caves of Qud and UnReal World, dying has never been so fun.


PE


Caves Of Qud is a superb roguelike.  I just wish it had a better looking graphical tile set.

I tried UnReal World a few years ago.  The UI was fairly straightforward, as far as classic style roguelikes go, but it seemed like I needed to learn an assload of info from it's game wikis up front, to have much chance of lasting long.



More World Of Warships with the Grogs this weekend, for me.

Sir Slash

I can't compare ACW 1 to ACW 2 as I never played 1. The AI in 2 has some problems handling things like Partisans, which it seems to just ignore and the Event where you spend Vic. points to raise militia in areas pro-Union-- it seems to scare the crap out of the AI and they'll often run back south to get away from them. It also kind of gives up on defending Richmond at times. So I don't push-it too much here to take advantage. But it does seem to react well to your moves and has hammered my armies when they're isolated. It loves to send cavalry raiding deep behind your lines and I've been surprised at how competently it plays the naval part of the game, using Raiders and Blockade Runners to earn income and harassing my shipping. Overall it's quite a challenge-- for me anyway-- and a lot of fun. This is my first AGEOD game so I'm still a little unfamiliar with the system but the game certainly gives you lots of things take into consideration during a move/turn and I love the attention to detail in the game.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Boggit

Quote from: Nefaro on April 29, 2016, 06:46:28 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on April 29, 2016, 08:21:27 AM

Will be playing Caves of Qud and UnReal World, dying has never been so fun.


PE


Caves Of Qud is a superb roguelike.  I just wish it had a better looking graphical tile set.

I tried UnReal World a few years ago.  The UI was fairly straightforward, as far as classic style roguelikes go, but it seemed like I needed to learn an assload of info from it's game wikis up front, to have much chance of lasting long.



More World Of Warships with the Grogs this weekend, for me.
Have you tried Dungeons of Dredmor? That's quite fun and the graphics, while basic, are not too dire.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

mikeck

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 29, 2016, 01:19:56 PM
Was it any better in ACW1, or has it gotten worse?

Well for me, the problems are the same. In ACW2 I had a game where I wasn't sure if I had mistakenly turned off the AI in options. The Union army did nothing while I ran up into Maryland and Pennsylvania. Out west I was in Wisconsin before I quit in 1862. In both 1 and 2 I had problems of AI confederate sending divisions up into the north by themselves. Like Stonewall, 3 inf brigades and horse artillery....creeping around Pittsburgh...completely unsupplied. So to me, the same problems exist in both. The AI has trouble conducting coordinated attacks. It can handle one stack, but not effectively fight 3 stacks that are linked as Corp in an army. This is also why the games with no real battle lines fare better. AJE is great because there are only single stacks...same with WiA. My 2 cents
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Hofstadter

Played a bit of twilight struggle. But I forgot how much I hate card games and I got a refund.

Might get decisive campaigns barbarossa. Will be making a new character in l33t souls.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Huw the Poo

With more than a week to go to Stellaris I am absolutely itching for something to play, so I finally cracked and bought Master of Orion - just like I said I wouldn't!  Looking forward to giving it a proper go this weekend though.  It's a three day weekend for we Brits too.  8)

Boggit

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 30, 2016, 02:00:29 AM
With more than a week to go to Stellaris I am absolutely itching for something to play, so I finally cracked and bought Master of Orion - just like I said I wouldn't!  Looking forward to giving it a proper go this weekend though.  It's a three day weekend for we Brits too.  8)
Do you still play Dominions 4?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Boggit on April 30, 2016, 03:50:24 PM
Do you still play Dominions 4?

I don't actively play it at the moment, but I certainly haven't consigned it to the "will never play again" category.  I love it, despite being comically bad at it. :)

Gusington

Played a couple of hours worth of Anno 1404 and it is easier for me to wrap my brain around than Grand Ages - Medieval. One question for those who have played - I toggled off the view of the commodities my city was producing - how do I get that view back? Anyone remember/know?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd