Dawn of War 3 confirmed....YES!

Started by Jarhead0331, May 03, 2016, 09:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

republic

Lets say...I have a friend who has always been interested in Warhammer but doesn't really now anything.  I...I mean...my friend has played Dawn of War II briefly but as usual something else shiny distracted me...me friend.  What is the best way for my friend to learn about Warhammer?

Yskonyn

Gameplay wise buy the rulebook obviously.
Lore wise, start reading the novels. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: Cyrano on May 03, 2016, 08:02:31 PM
I just do not understand why these people don't turn to 40k movie making.

Devil take the game, I want to watch the movie.

Still, the notion that I get to muck about in a Warhound?  Yes, please.


Agreed.

But GW is so stingy with the license, it will probably be quite awhile longer. 

Hell, they only just loosened up the licensing for their old discontinued stuff to more game developers.   ::)

magnus

I am a bit confused about the Warhammer universe.

They have both Warhammer and Warhammer 40K and they also did some historical work as I recall. Is this right?

Now Warhammer is really just ancient/medieval warfare and 40k is 40,000 years after with starships etc.. Do I have that right?

Thanks

Nefaro

Quote from: magnus on May 04, 2016, 04:19:17 PM

They have both Warhammer and Warhammer 40K and they also did some historical work as I recall. Is this right?

Now Warhammer is really just ancient/medieval warfare and 40k is 40,000 years after with starships etc.. Do I have that right?


Original Warhammer was a dark "high fantasy" setting.  40k is similar, but in the extremely distant future.  They're all rather grim dystopias in their own style of setting.


I don't recall Games Workshop having historical stuff.  If they did, it was quickly overshadowed by their fictional IPs.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on May 04, 2016, 04:08:25 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on May 03, 2016, 08:02:31 PM
I just do not understand why these people don't turn to 40k movie making.

Devil take the game, I want to watch the movie.

Still, the notion that I get to muck about in a Warhound?  Yes, please.


Agreed.

But GW is so stingy with the license, it will probably be quite awhile longer. 

Hell, they only just loosened up the licensing for their old discontinued stuff to more game developers.   ::)

There is a space marine CG animated film that is available for download. I'd rate it a 3.5 out of 10.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


panzerde

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 04, 2016, 05:49:45 PM

There is a space marine CG animated film that is available for download. I'd rate it a 3.5 out of 10.


I bought that as the limited collector's edition in the special tin and everything, ordering it about a year or so before it came out.


I watched it once. I was sooooo disappointed. It isn't terrible, but it's not good, either. 3.5 out of 10 seems about right.


Now this new game...yeah, I'll be buying that.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Cyrano

Bought the movie...

Watched the movie...

Once...

I will repeat my earlier inquiry as to why Relic doesn't get into the 40k movie biz.

GW had a fairly extensive historical arm and some of their earliest designers were histo-gamers in their hearts.  The very first games of WHF I ever played were magic-free as the group I joined had already determined that the magic system was completely broken so they just wanted to play medieval battles with orcs, elves, and dwarves.  This historical side brought out a range of games on the ECW and even the lovely but broken "Trafalgar" naval system.  It was shuttered some months ago.



Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

panzerde

We may have to drag that along to Origins and play it on the big display in between Command Post sessions...

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: republic on May 03, 2016, 08:58:53 PM
Lets say...I have a friend who has always been interested in Warhammer but doesn't really now anything.  I...I mean...my friend has played Dawn of War II briefly but as usual something else shiny distracted me...me friend.  What is the best way for my friend to learn about Warhammer?

There was a long thread on this board a month or two back about Gothic Battlefleet, asking the same question about the WH universe.  You can dust that one off for all the recommendations, but that thread was more focused on fleet battles.

If you want some books offering an intro to ground combat, I'd recommend either Dan Abnett's The Founding (if you like a story about typical grunts fighting with typical weapons in the WH40K universe) or read James Swallow's The Blood Angels Omnibus (if you like a story about genetically engineered super marines in powered battle armor who fight with animalistic savagery).  Neither one is real cheery, but both sagas are well-written and don't rely on you knowing all the WH40K backstory to follow what is going on.

jomni

The religious overtones is probably the most intriguing aspect of 40K the lore for me. 

Nefaro

Quote from: republic on May 03, 2016, 08:58:53 PM
Lets say...I have a friend who has always been interested in Warhammer but doesn't really now anything.  I...I mean...my friend has played Dawn of War II briefly but as usual something else shiny distracted me...me friend.  What is the best way for my friend to learn about Warhammer?


There's a YouTube series by user(s) named "Vaults Of Terra" which gives a quick overview of the various 40K lore.   If you want more detailed info on certain parts, such as the Horus Heresy, just check that guy's playlists on YT for more.


Imperium Of Man series, could be considered the default viewpoint of the 40k universe:






Different races/factions:





Other series under YT user's Playlist..



Gusington

Thanks for posting the above Nefaro, didn't know that stuff was on YouTube and being a WH40k novice, it will help me navigate what looks to be a lot of upcoming WH40k gaming.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

#28
Quote from: Gusington on May 05, 2016, 07:22:01 AM
Thanks for posting the above Nefaro, didn't know that stuff was on YouTube and being a WH40k novice, it will help me navigate what looks to be a lot of upcoming WH40k gaming.

Yes, but the Warhammer Fantasy setting is different, so keep that in mind.  Although it's easier to pick up while doing, like when you inevitably buckle and get TW Warhammer.

republic

Quote from: Nefaro on May 05, 2016, 06:17:52 AM
There's a YouTube series by user(s) named "Vaults Of Terra" which gives a quick overview of the various 40K lore.   If you want more detailed info on certain parts, such as the Horus Heresy, just check that guy's playlists on YT for more.


Imperium Of Man series, could be considered the default viewpoint of the 40k universe:


Different races/factions:

Other series under YT user's Playlist..

Awesome!  I mean...I'll tell my friend.