Motorsport Manager for Racing Fans

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 19, 2016, 04:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

I bought it for $20 or so, thought worth the chance since never played the mobile version.  Just fired it up and very quickly went through a race...mind you I have no idea what I am doing.  Like the presentation and UI, seems simple enough to control.  Have not dived into the options but seems like you can do basic things like car setup, driving strategy, and how much you want to push the engine.  When you go into the pit, you can choose to repair things, change tires, decide how much risk you want, etc.  Seems like you can speed up races so you don't have to sit and watch it slowly playout.....Those are probably enough options for me since I don't have a clue anyways and more interested in management aspects:)

JudgeDredd

How long are the races?

I think the track stuff was very lacking in the Android version of the game. Very little to do.

For example

  • Only 2 setups and 3 options when qualifying

    • Gear Ratio for Acceleration, Neutral and Top Speed
    • Aerodynamics for Straights, Neutral and Cornering
  • Only 3 types of tyre - Soft, Hard and Wet - and there was little difference between the Hard and Soft - only a couple of laps really
  • Only 12 minute qualifying with limited chance to test setups - you just basically went for the suggested option and almost always, that was the best option. The only thing you really had to do was try and put your driver out in less traffic
  • Races were way too short to make any difference and it was basically down to whether you left it too late to change tyres
  • Bearing in mind it's just been advertised on the Sky F1 channel, it's disappointing it doesn't have real cars, teams, drivers or even tracks

It wasn't a bad game for Android for the price - it was just waaay too limited and basic. If it's fleshed out some more, it could be good. If not, meh.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

If anyone is semi interested, then this guy has fired up a video



Unfortunately, it does seem to be very lite in the practice/qualy/racing aspect. There's depth with other things, but it was the lack of any tactical depth  in the 3 sessions just mentioned that prevented me from having a lot of fun with it.

Having said that, it's pretty positive on Steam sitting at 92%. Still not deep enough for me in the racing department.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 13, 2016, 04:58:55 PM
How long are the races?

I think the track stuff was very lacking in the Android version of the game. Very little to do.

For example

  • Only 2 setups and 3 options when qualifying

    • Gear Ratio for Acceleration, Neutral and Top Speed
    • Aerodynamics for Straights, Neutral and Cornering
  • Only 3 types of tyre - Soft, Hard and Wet - and there was little difference between the Hard and Soft - only a couple of laps really
  • Only 12 minute qualifying with limited chance to test setups - you just basically went for the suggested option and almost always, that was the best option. The only thing you really had to do was try and put your driver out in less traffic
  • Races were way too short to make any difference and it was basically down to whether you left it too late to change tyres
  • Bearing in mind it's just been advertised on the Sky F1 channel, it's disappointing it doesn't have real cars, teams, drivers or even tracks

It wasn't a bad game for Android for the price - it was just waaay too limited and basic. If it's fleshed out some more, it could be good. If not, meh.

Hard for me to judge since I am no F1 expert, nor did I own the mobile version......it has four tyre setups soft, super soft, intermediate, and wet....when your setting up your car you have options such as car balance, gears, suspensions, tyres, wings, etc....while driving you choose when to pit and strategies for engine management and aggressiveness.  You can also choose what parts to repair and such.  For a novice like me, has enough for now, but I could understand that hard core racing fans might want more.  The management activities outside the race seem pretty involved as well.  Since I didn't pay a whole lot for it and I didn't have high expectations anyway, I think I'll get my money's worth.

JudgeDredd

Writing what I did, I had to fire up the Android version again to remember what it was that left me frustrated. Don't get me wrong, it was a catchy game and certainly kills 30 minutes of dead time. But I paid less than £5 for it...and that was fine. They're asking for £25 for this version. IMO that is far too much for the lack of depth...especially with practice, qualifying and races being so short.

After watching those two videos yesterday, I've got more for ya...good and bad though.

It is definitely fleshed out more. Lots more options for as you say for setting up the car - but they don't mean squat because you've literally got 2 laps in Practice to see what works - and that's because of the limited time you have on track (7 minutes I think) and then you're on to qualifying. That is ludicrously short.

There were other options in there which made no sense - for example, fixing the engine in a pit stop. They are nonsensical options and only put in there to "mix things up". But the mixing up of qualy and the race could be done with standard fuel and tyre usage and ALOT more could be done with Practice by allowing you the time to actually change the setup and go out and test it. That would give you the ability to test the setups for each driver (as they're both different). Let me tweak the settings and see how the drivers are doing. Get a couple of clear laps in, bring them in, see what they're not happy about, tweak it, send them back out.

One example I saw on the video was the driver saying he wasn't happy with the down force. Well....what wasn't he happy about? Was there too much? Too little?

Also, from the videos and the Android version, it's very "basic" during the race. The race stints are so short, there very little chance to have the strategy settings (for tyre wear and fuel usage) play any part. For example, Supersoft tyres will last 4-6 laps. Put your driver on the fastest setting (to push) and he'll get 4 laps out of them. Put him on the "take it really easy" setting and you'll get 6 laps out of them. The other 3 options in between those two don't really count for much. They're there - showing as options...but the stint is so short, they don't make a difference.

What I would like to see is full practice, qualifying and race lengths with lots more variability in tyre wear and fuel usage. There's the options there to speed up progress and they could add an option to skip a session once you've got the cars and the drivers where you want them.

There's also an awful lot more to do outside the racing aspect, like buildings for various research I saw.

I liked those videos of the game I watched last night - but I think the problem with it - and it was my main gripe with the Android version - is that the practice, qualy and race are way too short to be able to influence the outcomes in any way. There's depth there, but you can't get your teeth into it because you can't test your changes. I suspect the lengthy options for the race sessions are due to not enough figures behind to make it a proper simulation.

Are there any options for lengthening the practice, qualifying and race sessions? If there are, then I could be in because there's definitely more in here than the Android version I've got.

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

You certainly know more about the sport than I do so can't speak to those items.  When you first setup game, you can choose between short, medium, and long sessions.  Long session says 50-60 laps on average and I believe practice time was 12 minutes.  Haven't seen anywhere that can be further customized but I haven't played much yet.  I only paid around $20 for it and never bought the mobile version so thinking I will get my money worth....likely won't finish a long career anyway:)

Grim.Reaper

I stand corrected, didn't realize each league had different rules...on the top league, the following:

Practice = 20 minutes
Qualifying = 12 minutes
Race Length = Average 35 laps

BanzaiCat

I've had my eye on this one, too. Like Grim, I enjoy a good sports management game, even if I find the sport as boring as watching paint dry (e.g. Football Manager; I know JD and others have had long discussions on that game in the past), I for some reason find the management angle interesting.

I haven't bought it yet but from what you guys have been on about it looks to be very much for people like Grim and I and not people like JD, though I could be off on that of course. It's a way to get introduced lightly to the subject and the workings without gagging on the plethora of details that could literally drown a newcomer and totally turn them off from it.

Not that it does the sport justice, either, so I could see how that's incredibly frustrating for a fan like JD.

JudgeDredd

There is alot more game in this than the Android version and from what I was expecting - that's for sure. Certainly on the side of management.

The lack of depth in the practice, qualifying and race stints though removes any appeal for me. How in God's name am I meant to find out how my driver feels about the setup I've given him if I can't have proper practice sessions to try the plethora of options? If I can't, then it's really just "tinkering" without having any strategy as to why you are tinkering.

I do not doubt for a second that people into management sims will enjoy this from what I saw. There are plenty of options to "build your empire". F1 fans may be wondering though how they are meant to win any races using their head rather than guess work.

On the other hand........................................some F1 fans might enjoy it for what it is...a lite F1 management sim.

Not me I'm afraid - and not for £25 when GR paid £16!!

Also - don't forget I did say that the Android one (which is even more lite than this) kills 20-30 minutes when I'm not at my computer and feel I need to be playing something  :)
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Yep JD, I can see how this PC release is not going to meet your expectation...maybe over time they introduce more complexities but for me right now this is the right level of detail as I try and grasp F1 racing.  At least you can save a few $$$$:)

JudgeDredd

^ Silver lining

I really would like a good, deep F1 management sim. Hopefully they can flesh it out or even patch in allowing more time. Seems crazy not to give you longer in practice at least to test your changes.  :idiot2:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 14, 2016, 03:05:13 PM
^ Silver lining

I really would like a good, deep F1 management sim. Hopefully they can flesh it out or even patch in allowing more time. Seems crazy not to give you longer in practice at least to test your changes.  :idiot2:

Just curious, what specifically is enough time?  Asking in all honesty since I have no idea what real life is like.  Are they even close?

JudgeDredd

I'd go with proper real life stuff. I mean, why not. Anyone who wants to skip can do so and there's fast forward features...but a handy skip feature would allow people either not interested in doing full practice and qualy to get out when they're done or just skip altogether.

I'd like to see

  • At least 1 60 minute practice though I'd like a couple
  • 60 minute qualifying with the same format as in F1 at the moment (Q1 = 22 drivers, 6 drop out for Q2, Q2 = top 16 drivers and 6 drop out for Q3 and Q3 = top 10) <- though I'd forego the format...the duration is important to help you tweak to get the best out the car, tyres and drivers
  • Proper full race length
Like I said - a skip option and the handy fast forward stuff would allow people who don't want to delve too deep...though apart from making money, marketing, building research buildings the other key aspect is to win races to GET the money...so the practice, imo, is crucial and I'm lost why it's so short.

Give me that, I'll give you £35 for it  :)

If I could try and put it in terms that may be understood, IMO, having it as it is perhaps like having a Football Manager game (your football) where you've got all the management stuff, but you've got no draft, no feeder leagues and the stats come down to 3 for your QB - Throwing power and Concentration, WR would be categorised by Speed and ball handling etc, etc - you'd probably justifiably think it was a bit lite. That's how I feel with this.

I do want them to beef it up and I'd purchase in a heartbeat.

However, enjoy. $20 isn't bad for the amount of game you've got. I certainly enjoyed (enough) the Android version
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

No worries JD, I know what your looking for and hopefully in a future release they my consider providing those options...but of course if you don't give them your money, may never be a future release:) 

Plenty of other games to concentrate on, such as Ultimate General: Civil War and possibly Strategic Command (depending on price and early reviews)   :)

jomni