F1 2016 - NOT a wargame

Started by JudgeDredd, May 31, 2016, 12:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

Not pretty, but points earned. I certainly can't drive like this in the race...unless I want to do 5 pit stops

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

WallysWorld

Interesting videos!

Just wondering if you're using any kind of auto-shift or auto-brake help functions or it is all manual?
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

JudgeDredd

All manual. I think I have the lowest traction help, but all other player aids are off...which you can probably tell from my trials at Sochi
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

GDS_Starfury

the trick to Monaco is drinking mimosas first.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


GDS_Starfury

is it possible to play this without a steering wheel control?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


jomni

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 21, 2016, 06:14:30 PM
is it possible to play this without a steering wheel control?

I played the old version without a wheel.

WallysWorld

I play F1 2013 with just a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and it works fine with the game.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Bardolph

Watching  your vids I'm fairly sure this thing would kill my poor old comp trying to run it on triples. And I'm not sure I can go back to a single monitor anymore  :))

JudgeDredd

^ I don't know - it's one of the few games that does not set my fans alight.

I actually do not know if triple support is there anyway as I don't have that kind of setup.

As for playing without a wheel. It's possible - but as with all driving games, I could never recommend it. The absolute best experience with a racing game is with a wheel. It's like flight simulators. Sure, they can be played with a joystick, but your experience will be greatly enhanced with a joystick.

It doesn't have to be a FFB wheel. A standard wheel would do, though again, FFB will again enhance your driving experience. For example, you can feel the car going "light" when you are losing the back end of the car...without FFB, you wouldn't get that.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

A bit of Practice 2 - just a few laps. I think things are coming together...definitely locking up less and finding the right braking, entry and exit points.

Roll on Practice 3

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Bardolph

I waited and watched for a decent sale, and finally was able to score a set of three 24" monitors that would work with my laptop vid card (had to use one Thunderbolt to HDMI adaptor) for ~$100 each. My iRacing ratings went up almost immediately. I can maintain decent frames in iRacing, but Project Cars for example was a slide show. Raceroom was noticeably slow and I couldn't figure out how to set my fov properly in Automobilista so I don't really know how it runs. Older sims seem to do ok. But I'm only running a Geforce 670m.

Being able to see the apex before you get there and have more peripheral vision to see when someone is beside you is a game changer.  I thought I needed 27"+, I know it is what all the cool kids have, but to be honest 3x24" is plenty big.

May still give it a try, Steam refund is always an option ;)

JudgeDredd

That sounds cool.

It's never been something I've thought about tbh. But people have different "immersion" requirements. Sometimes, not even requirements but once you "do" something, it's a game changer. One day when I'm a bit more affluent or I stop spending money on some other things you never know - it might be something that interests me.

As I said, I don't know if there's support for it in the game (does it need support or is it just FOV change?) or whether it would run well. Hell, the game doesn't even support TrackIR.

I do know it runs smooth as silk on my system with not seeing any noticeable frame drop

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

bboyer66

Do any of you amateurs do Iracing?   If you do not, I humbly request your presence so that I can blow your doors off.      O0


JudgeDredd

I used to. Too expensive and too stressful
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

#44
Sochi Qualifying

I changed my tyres at the start from Super Soft to Soft - being cocky. Actually just not wanting to waste a set of Super Soft tyres if I could help it. Turned out, I slipped down quite quickly and had to go out again in Q1 to get a better time on Super Soft tyres.

Q2 I went out in scrubbed Super Soft tyres and quickly realised I should've used my new set - so again, I had to go out a second time in the session



There's a couple of "chinks" noticeable in the AI.

First, there's really no way a Marussia - even with the developments being made - should be qualifying so high (I won't spoil the surprise...watch the vid). I've had some development done on the car, but the car is still bottom of the pile in terms of overall performance (when you go to the development screen, you can see other team performances in relation to your team).

I'm playing on 1 below the top level of AI (I think I'm on Expert and the top level is Legend) and given that level, I'd expect a Marussia to be stuck in the first part of qualifying, regardless how good the driver is.

I know I won't do so well in racing - which highlights a separate issue which is where in previous F1 games, you used to qualify fairly low and in the race you could be first by the first corner...it seems to be reversed here where you qualify high and run the race lower down...which is actually a better representation of how it is in the real F1 world.

So - there's that. I don't think I can change the AI level - but I may have to do that because the car is out performing it's performance.

Secondly, you will notice at some point during qualifying (5 minutes in) I have just finished my fast lap and requested to box - so coming into the pits. I'm on my in lap and I see Hulkenburg behind me. I slow down to let him past, which he does, and then proceeds to slow down a couple of times because I'm close. This highlights to me that the AI is not programmed to understand that I have just requested to pit. If the AI could detect that, then it shouldn't be making such an effort to let me past.

So I said I would keep people informed of perceived issues that I cam across and so I am.

It still doesn't ruin the game - it's a fantastic racing sim. Although the Marussia qualifying so high does irk me somewhat
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people