F1 2016 - NOT a wargame

Started by JudgeDredd, May 31, 2016, 12:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 02, 2016, 10:04:39 AM
JD....

Any recommendation of what level of team a newbie should start?  I don't care if I actually win races right away, just want something that will allow me to learn and gain experience.

And are you able to switch teams during your career so that if I start out low, some day I can make it to the top team?
Well, the best teams are the best for a reason...they have better cars and that is modelled in the game. The Mercedes has much more grip than the Marussia.

As for career, depending on how you're doing in the team (I think it's down to how you are doing against your assigned rivals - but there may be other factors) will depend on whether you are offered a drive with a better team. So yes - you will be offered contracts with other teams as you progress depending on your progression.

You can also get dropped from the team I believe...though you have to be really, really bad I think.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 02, 2016, 10:25:07 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 02, 2016, 10:04:39 AM
JD....

Any recommendation of what level of team a newbie should start?  I don't care if I actually win races right away, just want something that will allow me to learn and gain experience.

And are you able to switch teams during your career so that if I start out low, some day I can make it to the top team?
Well, the best teams are the best for a reason...they have better cars and that is modelled in the game. The Mercedes has much more grip than the Marussia.

As for career, depending on how you're doing in the team (I think it's down to how you are doing against your assigned rivals - but there may be other factors) will depend on whether you are offered a drive with a better team. So yes - you will be offered contracts with other teams as you progress depending on your progression.

You can also get dropped from the team I believe...though you have to be really, really bad I think.

Well, I am sure I'll be able to tell you about the drop because if it will happen, it will happen to me:)

jomni

Though a word of caution, top teams with the good cars demand better performance from the driver.

Grim.Reaper

Although I have felt good about my progress, my practice lap times still about 5-6 seconds off the other drivers....at Australia I am about at 1:45 while others coming in at 1:37-1:39....I am sure they have better teams and cars then me, which likely accounts for it, can't be my lack of skill:)

jomni

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 02, 2016, 05:17:49 PM
Although I have felt good about my progress, my practice lap times still about 5-6 seconds off the other drivers....at Australia I am about at 1:45 while others coming in at 1:37-1:39....I am sure they have better teams and cars then me, which likely accounts for it, can't be my lack of skill:)

Being a novice myself, I found Australia difficult.  I have managed to get the fastest timings in Bahrain and China but I guess my car has been improved by then.

Grim.Reaper

Some tight turns for sure, but thought I was doing pretty well even though time does not reflect that.  I am guessing not taking advantage of car setup is likely holding me back right now.

I am extrememly surprised and pleased that my Xbox controller is actually very reasonable to use and I have even used the headset to use voice commands which is cool.

JudgeDredd

I've literally jumped onto my computer this morning, jumped into the Marussia and done a lap of Australia on Soft tyres with the default "Preset 3" setup and logged a 1:34:081.

It might be your driving. It might be the fact you are using a controller. It might be your setup...have you changed anything? It might be the assists you have on.

The thing is, it might look like a good lap in the sense that you are staying on the racing line but in Australia - and actually as with every circuit - there's some corners where you think you might be going through OK but actually losing a load of time.

Turn 1 is crucial. Brake just before the 100 meter mark and shift down to 3rd or 4th and try and turn in nice and early so you have as straight a line through it as possible. The straighter the line your car takes through a bend the better your speed will be through it and that means a better lap time.

People often think keeping speed up and braking late is the best way to a good lap time and it's not - it's the worst. Finding the optimum braking point is crucial. When you find that, you'll get a good turn into the corner (at the apex) and that means a good exit trajectory. A good exit trajectory means more power being put down sooner.

All turns are crucial to find the optimum braking point and the apex and the optimum exit trajectory...practice.

So in Australia I'd say turns 1 and 2, 5 and 11 and 12 and a good exit trajectory out of 16 are the best places to improve your lap times.

What tyres are you on? Perhaps try with the assists off. I don't know what using a controller with no assists will be like, but for example having the traction control assist on will limit your power to prevent the car sliding and if you're limiting your power, then you're slowing the car down.

By the way - I don't think I'd get anywhere near your time with a controller!  O0 Again - I highly recommend a wheel to get the best experience out of driving sims...otherwise you'll get frustrated at the difference between you and the AI.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

jomni

#97
Track acclamation practice does help a lot but I can't perfect them for now unlike the qualifying program.
The tire management practice is hit or miss for me too. Some tracks I burn too much rubbe or go too slow. But I guess it is a matter of cornering straight as much as I can.

Any tips on pit strategy and tire selection?

Grim.Reaper

Good thoughts jd....it certainly could be some of the assists, I have them all still turned on and will gradually work myself off most of them.  Also, I am playing on one of the lowest level teams somguessing that has an impact too.  In turns I am getting better with them but still have room for improvement.

As for controller, certainly can be part of it, but for the most part I have been able to reasonably stay in control and not as sloppy as I thought I would be.  Interestingly I have read that in some cases people with controllers often actually record the fastest times but I am sure it all comes down to skill and comfort.  Some day I will investigate using a wheel if the game keeps my attention, just don't want to drop a ton of investment at the moment.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: jomni on October 03, 2016, 03:03:45 AM
Track acclamation practice does help a lot but I can't perfect them for now unlike the qualifying program.
The tire management practice is hit or miss for me too. Some tracks I burn too much rubbe or go too slow. But I guess it is a matter of cornering straight as much as I can.

Any tips on pit strategy and tire selection?
Tire Management test - it's heavy braking (locking wheels) and going through high speed corners carrying too much speed that'll kill the tyres. Of course, you have a lap time to stick to so the urge is to try and be fast - but the actual test will fall into your lap if you take the right line into and the right speed out of the corners.

You can do the tests multiple times (though on scrubbed tyres it does become more difficult).

Best thing to try and do is nail the Track Acclimatisation and keep practicing it until you do because that will show you the best entry and exit points. If you miss an entry point, you've carried too much speed...brake a bit sooner. If you hit an entry point but you're too slow, you need more speed...so brake later or throttle more. If you miss the exit point, you're probably going too fast for the bend.

When you nail the Track Acclimitisation you'll be in a good place for the Tyre Management test.

For the races I've done, I have selected more pit stops than has been suggested meaning better pit windows and also I know I'm heavy on the tyres so I choose more stops than less. But it's really down to personal preference. If you think you can make the tyres last, go for the lower option. I generally don't mess around with the pit stops except to select one of the two offered options.

You can always change the pit stops on the fly anyway and just go how the car feels. If you're noticing the tyres go off and it's affecting your time (delta of the car behind is decreasing) then request a pit stop.

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

jomni

Thanks.  I'm really bad at keeping tires fresh so I'll try the more stops option (and longer races).

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 03, 2016, 04:31:09 AM
Good thoughts jd....it certainly could be some of the assists, I have them all still turned on and will gradually work myself off most of them.  Also, I am playing on one of the lowest level teams somguessing that has an impact too.  In turns I am getting better with them but still have room for improvement.

As for controller, certainly can be part of it, but for the most part I have been able to reasonably stay in control and not as sloppy as I thought I would be.  Interestingly I have read that in some cases people with controllers often actually record the fastest times but I am sure it all comes down to skill and comfort.  Some day I will investigate using a wheel if the game keeps my attention, just don't want to drop a ton of investment at the moment.
I'm not sure what assists are there, but I know the traction control one can heavily affect your speed out of corners meaning poorer lap times. It has it's good side too, of course - helping you not spin.

If you think about it, these cars vary in terms of speed by very little. The bulk of your lap times won and lost will be in the corners.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Agreed....certainly turns seem most important and I am sure with time I'll get better.  My first racing game in a very long time so will take me a bit.

jomni

Come to think of it, I can do 2+ hour flights in X-Plane in one sitting. How bad can a 2 hour race be?

JudgeDredd

Quote from: jomni on October 03, 2016, 09:10:45 AM
Come to think of it, I can do 2+ hour flights in X-Plane in one sitting. How bad can a 2 hour race be?
I think the concentration levels required are different. Travelling at 500mph 30k feet up is less taxing than driving round a very bendy circuit with 21 other cars at 200mph  :2funny:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people