House of the Dying Sun - Space Combat Sim

Started by Gusington, June 08, 2016, 12:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

In Steam early access but it has been in development for almost five years. Check out the music coupled with the radio effects, etc. Looks (and sounds) great.

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

IronX

Looks like a first-person version of Homeworld and the music reminds me a little of BSG.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

#3
Looks nice, but joystick support seems to be lacking...and I ain't got no gamepad.  :-\

Well seems that some joysticks work, but some users are having issues.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

I have it. It has joystick support, but not the greatest. It's actually meant to be played with mouse and keyboard and this combination surprisingly works well.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Steelgrave

"Hunt the traitor Lords and bring ruin to their people"....

Hell, I like seeing that in any genre! Looks great!  O0

Gusington

JH have you invested much time in it yet? Does it feel like a combat flight sim version of Homeworld?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Hofstadter

Apparently this game is super shallow, once youve done the first mission youve done them all.

CAP2 and its crap.....HotDS and its short GIVE ME SOMETHING DECENT
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

joram

I was reading (on RPS I think) there are only 14 missions and you are meant to play them multiple times on increasing difficulties which unlocks stuff.  Not sure what the 'stuff' is but doesn't sound especially deep since the missions are scripted. 

sandman2575

This looks pretty rad, and who can argue with the price.

Anyone know if it supports TrackIR?

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

Quote from: sandman2575 on June 09, 2016, 12:56:46 PM
This looks pretty rad, and who can argue with the price.

Anyone know if it supports TrackIR?

Yes. It supports TrackIR.

The space combat is good. The reason people are so pissed is that for a long time it was marketed as having an open world. At some point, the developer nixed that and went with 14 linear missions instead. I'm assuming he ran into difficulty creating an open-ended, dynamic universe.

What is there is good. I disagree with Hofstadter that "once you've done the first mission youve done them all". The missions definitely have variety, and they have significant variety on each of the difficult ratings, as well. That being said, yes, the missions are undeniably linear and scripted so longevity and replayability is limited.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Gusington

Scripted missions do kill me.

However some games that have scripted missions in a space combat sim genre I have enjoyed, like Colony Wars. I saw some comparisons to that series.

Not sure if you ever played any of the Colony Wars series, JH.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd


sandman2575

Whenever I read something about this game, I get That Song stuck in my head for an hour...