Oh my...Elite Dangerous:Horizons

Started by JudgeDredd, August 28, 2016, 04:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 07, 2016, 08:49:52 AM
Damn it. I guess there is a first time for everything...

I just upgraded my FSD to a 5A capable of making 28 LY jumps. So I'm on my merry 480 LY journey back to Ceos making fast progress when I get into a desolate region populated with stars that are useless for refueling.

I'm now in the middle of nowhere and my fuel tank is nearly dry. I'm 250 LY from my destination and I don't really see any populated space anywhere nearby.

Are there any options other than to self-destruct?

I've been doing the exact same thing, per SirAndrewD's expert advice. Got a stripped down Asp, with A rated FSD and Thrusters (for the extra boost / speed to outrun interdictions) and Fuel Scoop; mine launcher is only defense and heatexchanger only utility. The rest is cargo (76T) and fuel tanks -- can get over 30LY per jump unladen, around 26 fully laden. The Ceos to Bubble run unladen I can do in 14-15 jumps. Raking in $$ this way -- my account now up to an unprecedented (for me!) $50M.

JH, are there seriously no scoopable stars within moderate jump distance? I've had a few cases where I was running quite low on fuel, wound up at a non-scoopable star system, then checked the galaxy map to divert my course from the bubble to the nearest scoopable star, anywhere. I've pushed it on a few occasions but haven't wound up stranded yet.  Hope you can find a way out short of the dreaded self-destruct...

EDIT -- in galaxy map, the tab that lets you set the 'color' of star systems according to Allegiance, Economy, etc. There's a "Star Type" option there. Keep the first 7 star types checked, uncheck the rest, and hopefully one of those KGBFOAM stars will be in jump distance for you to refuel at.

Jarhead0331

Found one. Thanks, guys. Saved my ass.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

sandman2575

JH -- maybe I missed this in a previous post - but out of curiosity, what ship are you using?

JudgeDredd

Quote from: sandman2575 on October 07, 2016, 10:09:15 AM

I just upgraded my FSD to a 5A capable of making 28 LY jumps. So I'm on my merry 480 LY journey back to Ceos making fast progress when I get into a desolate region populated with stars that are useless for refueling.

I'm now in the middle of nowhere and my fuel tank is nearly dry. I'm 250 LY from my destination and I don't really see any populated space anywhere nearby.

I've been doing the exact same thing, per SirAndrewD's expert advice. Got a stripped down Asp, with A rated FSD and Thrusters (for the extra boost / speed to outrun interdictions) and Fuel Scoop; mine launcher is only defense and heatexchanger only utility. The rest is cargo (76T) and fuel tanks -- can get over 30LY per jump unladen, around 26 fully laden. The Ceos to Bubble run unladen I can do in 14-15 jumps. Raking in $$ this way -- my account now up to an unprecedented (for me!) $50M.

JH, are there seriously no scoopable stars within moderate jump distance? I've had a few cases where I was running quite low on fuel, wound up at a non-scoopable star system, then checked the galaxy map to divert my course from the bubble to the nearest scoopable star, anywhere. I've pushed it on a few occasions but haven't wound up stranded yet.  Hope you can find a way out short of the dreaded self-destruct...

EDIT -- in galaxy map, the tab that lets you set the 'color' of star systems according to Allegiance, Economy, etc. There's a "Star Type" option there. Keep the first 7 star types checked, uncheck the rest, and hopefully one of those KGBFOAM stars will be in jump distance for you to refuel at.
You were laughing at me when I couldn't get fuel and ran out on various systems. This was early on in the game and it was because, at that time, I was in the arse end of nowhere and the universe was clearly "evolving".

So I laugh back  >:D
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

Enjoy Sothis / Ceos while you can. Rumour has it 2.2 will nerf em.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: sandman2575 on October 07, 2016, 12:17:01 PM
JH -- maybe I missed this in a previous post - but out of curiosity, what ship are you using?

Asp.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 07, 2016, 12:59:04 PM

You were laughing at me when I couldn't get fuel and ran out on various systems. This was early on in the game and it was because, at that time, I was in the arse end of nowhere and the universe was clearly "evolving".

...and you were traveling without a fuel scoop, and I was able to find a good star, refuel and turn a 12,000,000 profit. So, I'm still laughing.  :smitten:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 07, 2016, 01:24:49 PM
Enjoy Sothis / Ceos while you can. Rumour has it 2.2 will nerf em.

I don't think there's much truth to that rumor.   Sothis/Ceos went from boom state to war state right around the 2.2 Beta launch, this had the effect of the mission boards losing a very large number of the more lucrative delivery missions.  This happened across all servers though, people that were playing Beta just didn't see it going on in 2.1 as well. 

Mission refresh times in 2.2 also seem to be a lot longer, and the "mode switching" exploit doesn't work with beta. 

Also worth noting that in past betas the mission payouts have tended to be lower than live.  I remember Robigo seemed to be nerfed in the Engineers beta, but was not.

I haven't been bothered to go to Sothis to check it out in Beta myself, but I read enough commanders saying the missions are still there to doubt a full on nerf will be forthcoming.

EDIT:  The official word from FD as of two days ago is that the missions will still spawn, just more rarely.  This is compounded by the war state currently.  So, Sothis/Ceos will have a soft nerf, not with the missions but just with an increased time sink into doing them.

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Yskonyn

Well the fact that you cannot refresh the boards anymore upon mode switching is the big nerf for running these missions. While not a nerf to the mission itself it is a nerf to the process of why they were so lucrative.
But I guess getting rid of the exploit is a good thing. I am just going to run the heck out of it whileI can. :D
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

sandman2575

Yskonyn

Yeah, when you are docked and you switch from open to solo or private group, the missions get refreshed on the mission board. With some mode switching you can stack up on the high pay missions before running back to the bubble.

undercovergeek

SirAndrewD

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 07, 2016, 05:24:48 PM
So cheating then?

In a way, yes.  Some argue in the case of stacking haulage missions that it's just time saving.  FD was wishy washy in on the rightness or wrongness of it unlike they have about other things like combat logging.  When directly asked in a Q&A one time, they just referred to it as a "non-desirable situation that wasn't on the short term priority list to fix".  They then later said that "While mode switching is not in the spirit of the game, it's not considered by the development team to be an exploit".  So a lot of people saw that as an implicit green light.   

The most egregious exlploitation of it didn't come from stacking haulage missions, but from constantly refreshing donation missions in systems like Tun in order to power level Federal/Imperial rank. 

I never used it myself because the Sothis/Ceos back and forth was honestly more entertaining and lucrative.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Kushan

Could always try and see if the Fuel Rats can help.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 07, 2016, 01:29:23 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 07, 2016, 12:59:04 PM

...and you were traveling without a fuel scoop, and I was able to find a good star, refuel and turn a 12,000,000 profit. So, I'm still laughing.  :smitten:
touche
Alba gu' brath