To clip or not to clip...

Started by JudgeDredd, August 31, 2016, 09:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Crossroads on September 16, 2016, 11:41:29 AM
I am however keeping this. For the seventh son of my seventh son!  O0

That's the White Star Rising counters getting some TLC  :smitten:
How much is that clipper tool in the US?
Alba gu' brath

Crossroads

USD 44.95 directly from Oregon Lam

Cost me an arm and a leg as I had to pay the parcel and customs as well, but it is robust enough to last to my grandchildren!
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Nefaro

Quote from: Crossroads on September 16, 2016, 09:49:28 AM
I am pretty sure there isn't anyone without OCD here  ;D

So very true.

Bison

Quote from: Nefaro on September 16, 2016, 04:59:09 PM

So very true.

I'm not OCD, but I dig that you blokes are it gives me aspirations to fix my broken counters.

bob48

Clip - you'll be glad that you did....

..twitch, twitch....
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Bison on September 16, 2016, 05:03:56 PM

So very true.

I'm not OCD, but I dig that you blokes are it gives me aspirations to fix my broken counters.

We all know you're a compulsive sleever.

mirth

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 18, 2016, 11:55:59 AM

So very true.

:2funny:
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 18, 2016, 11:55:59 AM

So very true.

This is very true.  I do love card sleeves and people who abuse their cards by shuffling without them are heathens.

Double Deuce

I clip everything but my ASL stuff. Looking at all those boxes and knowing my OCD will require that every counter be clipped before any of it hits the table, even counters I'm not planning to use.  :'(

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Crossroads on September 16, 2016, 12:25:55 PM

Cost me an arm and a leg as I had to pay the parcel and customs as well, but it is robust enough to last to my grandchildren!
Ouch

I want one, but not that much. I don't think I buy enough board games to warrant that cost.

Although I do love board games, I'm not sure I want to buy more anyway. I mean, I do, but my memory is pretty poor nowadays so where some "interpretation" of rules used to be difficult, just remembering them now is hard.

I have Band of Brothers Ghost Panzers that I want to get into, see if it's any good and I have LnL Band of Heroes games (including The Falklands one) and Combat Command which I kind of like - so I think I might stick with those 3 systems.

How do you guys have so many board games? How can you go back and play after learning different rules for different games?  :idiot2:
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 19, 2016, 02:04:38 AM

How do you guys have so many board games? How can you go back and play after learning different rules for different games?  :idiot2:

The majority of mine are easier to learn and, therefore, even easier to re-learn. 

Very few wargames with 60+ page manuals in my collection these days.  Too much time investment.

JudgeDredd

lol - none of mine are over 30 pages I don't think...but I still have issues taking everything in.

I don't think I could play those monster games at all!

I think the best rules for a game I ever came across was Battle of Britain. Very clean, clear and I was up and playing very soon after a first scan. (I should go back to that one - it was a good one!)

Anyway - off topic - sorry (though it was my topic  >:D )
Alba gu' brath

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on September 16, 2016, 12:25:55 PM

Ouch

I want one, but not that much. I don't think I buy enough board games to warrant that cost.

Although I do love board games, I'm not sure I want to buy more anyway. I mean, I do, but my memory is pretty poor nowadays so where some "interpretation" of rules used to be difficult, just remembering them now is hard.

I have Band of Brothers Ghost Panzers that I want to get into, see if it's any good and I have LnL Band of Heroes games (including The Falklands one) and Combat Command which I kind of like - so I think I might stick with those 3 systems.

I tend to stick to the Platoon scale with games I have, so it helps in a way. And then there's the couple MMP OCS series games, that actually are quite complex, but that is the one system I want to learn outside the more medium complex sets.

As for the Oregon Lam cutter, yes, quite an expensive thing. It will last forever once you have it though. That is at least how I explained its cost to myself  :D
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

GJK

I have the "standard" (non-deluxe) OL clippers in both 2mm and 3mm and they've been great for years now.  They're all metal, unlike the deluxe version with the plastic handle that keeps breaking on people and even more importantly is they're 1/2 of the price of the deluxe model.

The deluxe doesn't have the occasional miscut that you'll get with the standard but if you practice a bit with it, you'll get the feeling for when it's about to miscut and you back off and reseat.  And I'll take one miscut (that you can barely notice) over a set of counters that all have uneven cuts from nail clipper any day.

I use the "2mm Radius Corner Rounder Punch Cutter Heavy Duty" for 1/2" counters and the "3mm Radius Corner Rounder Punch Cutter Heavy Duty" for 5/8" and above.  I *believe* that they have a 2.5mm in the standard model so you might just grab one of those. 

They're $21 on Amazon.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

mirth

It's not easy. I mix up rule sets all the time. Which game allows you to move through a ZOC? For how much movement cost? Which gives a road bonus? Do you have to start and end on the road or do you prorate the movement?  :D
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus