World War II Europe 1939-1945 Patch 108

Started by solops, November 13, 2016, 09:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

panzerde

Quote from: -budd- on November 14, 2016, 02:01:53 PM
The UI is a bit clicky and the map scrolling is brutal for me, that is the thing that makes me  scream. I wonder if it's just me or does it scroll terrible for everyone.


It's not just you. I can deal with a quirky UI, but this one is just broken. I found it far too frustrating to play.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

GJK

I recall playing his Russo-German War and the one before (after?) that, Anglo-German War and the UI/scrolling were issues then.  Actually, as I recall - they didn't have any scrolling (just scroll bars) but someone found or wrote a utility that *somewhat* gave it the ability to scroll but it was clunky as hell.  That may be what it still uses to this day.


I do recall that the depth of the game was there and that the AI even produced some tough battles.  Even with the smaller scenarios however, this thing is too much of a monster with too much micro-management for my tastes.  I'd absolutely *love* if he came up with a WW2 ETO game at the Corps or even the Army level...with a proper user interface...that would be tops.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

panzerde

Yeah, the content is there. The game is amazingly well researched and the combat engine gives believable results. He needs to hire a UI programmer to handle the front end and clean it up. I'm not even saying clean up graphics or counters or anything like that - though that couldn't hurt - just address the really blocking aspects of the UI.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

-budd-

I dont even bother with the mouse scroll anymore, the arrows work fine but slow. The zoom gets wonky also, sometimes hard to hit the spot you want or im doing something wrong. I do like that the player aids are available in game, like the counter legend and phase descriptions dont know why more games dont do this.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Boggit

Quote from: panzerde on November 14, 2016, 05:33:18 PM
Quote from: -budd- on November 14, 2016, 02:01:53 PM
The UI is a bit clicky and the map scrolling is brutal for me, that is the thing that makes me  scream. I wonder if it's just me or does it scroll terrible for everyone.


It's not just you. I can deal with a quirky UI, but this one is just broken. I found it far too frustrating to play.
You need to use the arrow keys for the best map scrolling... and yes it is a pain, unlike the smooth map scrolling seen for example on John Tiller titles.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: -budd- on November 14, 2016, 09:34:56 PM
I dont even bother with the mouse scroll anymore, the arrows work fine but slow. The zoom gets wonky also, sometimes hard to hit the spot you want or im doing something wrong. I do like that the player aids are available in game, like the counter legend and phase descriptions dont know why more games dont do this.
Sorry Budd. I just read your post about the arrows. I agree with all you say there.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat