Matrix holiday 2016 sale is here!

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 23, 2016, 06:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Rayfer

Quote from: Tuna on November 25, 2016, 03:18:24 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on November 25, 2016, 02:56:02 PM
Took the Holiday Plunge...Polaris....downloading it now.

Can't go wrong with that one!

Just went through the tutorials....awesome fleet combat battles, the best in any 4X space game I've played.

Hofstadter

Huaaaaaagh bought CMANO.

Been a whole since I prostrated myself before Matrix's altar.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Martok

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on November 25, 2016, 06:14:19 PM
Martok - you've got some crackers there, I'd recommend:

Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided - amazingly a GG game you could conceivably complete in one (longish) sitting - a bit of an overlooked gem in my opinion.

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage - really challenging AI
Thanks Wolfe. 


Yeah, I knew about Hannibal's AI; it was one of the main reasons it attracted me in the first place.  That, and the setting (I do love my Classical history!).  :) 

Good to know GG's World at War: AWD is a little more straightforward and doesn't take as long to play.  If memory serves, I believe that was one of the reasons I got the game in the first place; I was looking for a WW2 title that covered the entire world, but one that didn't include the fascinating/frightening level of detail of his WITP game(s), as I knew something like that would take me forever to learn/play. 



Quote from: Greybriar on November 25, 2016, 09:43:32 PM
Gary Grigsby's War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition is on sale for 39.99 USD--half price.
Lalalala not listening... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Greybriar

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Martok on November 26, 2016, 03:44:33 AM
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on November 25, 2016, 06:14:19 PM
Martok - you've got some crackers there, I'd recommend:

Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided - amazingly a GG game you could conceivably complete in one (longish) sitting - a bit of an overlooked gem in my opinion.

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage - really challenging AI
Thanks Wolfe. 


Yeah, I knew about Hannibal's AI; it was one of the main reasons it attracted me in the first place.  That, and the setting (I do love my Classical history!).  :) 

Good to know GG's World at War: AWD is a little more straightforward and doesn't take as long to play.  If memory serves, I believe that was one of the reasons I got the game in the first place; I was looking for a WW2 title that covered the entire world, but one that didn't include the fascinating/frightening level of detail of his WITP game(s), as I knew something like that would take me forever to learn/play. 



Quote from: Greybriar on November 25, 2016, 09:43:32 PM
Gary Grigsby's War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition is on sale for 39.99 USD--half price.
Lalalala not listening...
Regarding GGWaW:AWD, it was a neat, lite game, but I got fed up with a "DING" and a message that said "You can't move there"....ok...thanks for that, why?

Shelved it in the end. Yeah...I know there's a manual, but I am gobsmacked at the games out there that don't provide tooltips to help the users progression...especially when the game knows you can't move there. It's already done some checking, so why not tell me instead of expecting me to go find the section in the manual that may be in play or remember it after reading said manual??  :uglystupid2:

For me, that's one of the most frustrating things in games at the moment...especially this genre that requires you to read and absorb a lot of stuff  :pullhair:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 26, 2016, 07:03:01 AM
Quote from: Martok on November 26, 2016, 03:44:33 AM
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on November 25, 2016, 06:14:19 PM
Martok - you've got some crackers there, I'd recommend:

Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided - amazingly a GG game you could conceivably complete in one (longish) sitting - a bit of an overlooked gem in my opinion.

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage - really challenging AI
Thanks Wolfe. 


Yeah, I knew about Hannibal's AI; it was one of the main reasons it attracted me in the first place.  That, and the setting (I do love my Classical history!).  :) 

Good to know GG's World at War: AWD is a little more straightforward and doesn't take as long to play.  If memory serves, I believe that was one of the reasons I got the game in the first place; I was looking for a WW2 title that covered the entire world, but one that didn't include the fascinating/frightening level of detail of his WITP game(s), as I knew something like that would take me forever to learn/play. 



Quote from: Greybriar on November 25, 2016, 09:43:32 PM
Gary Grigsby's War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition is on sale for 39.99 USD--half price.
Lalalala not listening...
Regarding GGWaW:AWD, it was a neat, lite game, but I got fed up with a "DING" and a message that said "You can't move there"....ok...thanks for that, why?

Shelved it in the end. Yeah...I know there's a manual, but I am gobsmacked at the games out there that don't provide tooltips to help the users progression...especially when the game knows you can't move there. It's already done some checking, so why not tell me instead of expecting me to go find the section in the manual that may be in play or remember it after reading said manual??  :uglystupid2:

For me, that's one of the most frustrating things in games at the moment...especially this genre that requires you to read and absorb a lot of stuff  :pullhair:

Agree 100%...in a recent hockey game I picked up (FHM3), when you have incorrect line setup, it just says something like "Fix your line" without any details...there could be a million reasons the line is wrong so very crazy they simply can't tell you why the line check failed so you could easily fix it...no idea what developers are thinking some time and how doesn't come up in testing.

bbmike

I see that Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue has a scenario editor. Does Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa have one?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JudgeDredd

I don't think so...I'll check

Back in a mo...
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

bbmike

Thanks, JD. Now I'm leaning more towards DC:CB.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

-budd-

DCB doesn't have an editor but there's a whole seperate download and install, the DCB community project.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3982558

Also there a good mod for a world divided here
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1627473
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Geezer

#131
Just picked up SoW Gettysburg Anniversary Edition.  Any "must have" mods people can recommend?

Edit - Added Bugles and Flags after finding a thread here.  Also added Pea Ridge.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Sir Slash

I love Case Blue but it's not for everybody. If you like really BIG campaigns with hundreds of units to push around, then it's a great fit. Down side is  only an attempt at a naval part to the campaigns and an Air Element that was, in my opinion, less well developed than DC: WtP. The AI can be a really tough opponent.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on November 25, 2016, 06:14:19 PM
Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided - amazingly a GG game you could conceivably complete in one (longish) sitting - a bit of an overlooked gem in my opinion.

Because it's GG's Axis vs Allies! Down to the map and counter design. (Though with plenty of extra computer-aided house rules.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ComradeP

I bought:

Ravenmark - Scourge of Estellion.

I've looked at the title several times in the past, but didn't actually buy it. It's enjoyable so far.

Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front and the Kursk DLC/expansion for that title.

With the by now rather serious dry spell of pre-modern operational level land-focussed wargames going strong, there isn't much more that interests me in what Matrix/Slitherine has released in the last couple of years.

There was a period where there were interesting new releases every few months, but with the focus going to mobile gaming, easy to play/difficult to master games, space stuff, and periods or types of warfare (like modern air/naval operations) I'm not interested in, I'm struggling to find something to buy each year.

On the plus side, discounts from membership milestone coupon codes work during the sale as well. Whereas the discount from a coupon code might not be good enough to purchase something normally, it currently adds a nice additional discount to the sales.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45