Best Single Player Space "War" Game?

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 20, 2016, 09:42:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 21, 2016, 05:55:22 AM

Maybe the best way to describe it is something like World War II in space (or any other major war).  The sides for the most part are known, with some variability.  I don't need to explore for years to discover new worlds and species, the combatants are already defined for the most part.  The resources are known, I don't have to discover them.  No need to manage a huge tech tree, although having one is likely since the war would last over some small period of time.  There would be both ground and space battles to gain territory and ultimately win the game.  More looking for a strategy game, versus actually piloting ships and such.  What I can say as mentioned in the original post, I don't believe the typical 4x game is what I am after (i.e. DW, Stellaris, etc.), something that is much more focused.  I guess in space this might be akin to the Star Wars universe where the two sides are largely known battling for control of the universe (although I don't believe any actual Star Wars games is it either....Empire at War I remember being close, but don't necessarily want to control the forces in the fight).



Soooo... basically Star Wars Rebellion then.


Although that's a rather old game, and the graphics may scare you away, it is definitely a wargame and not a 4X.

bbmike

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 21, 2016, 06:28:57 AM
Quote from: bbmike on December 21, 2016, 06:18:05 AM
How about this - ditch the digital! Go buy Federation and Empire and play a proper board game.  :P

You missed the statement where it must be single player....this board game suggests 2-8 players:)

I've yet to meet a board game that can't be played solo.  :cowboy:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

gameleaper

you can play PBEM or Hotseat solo games like boardgames , it has A.I. you will never beat :)

Philippe

Quote from: bbmike on December 21, 2016, 06:42:42 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 21, 2016, 06:28:57 AM
Quote from: bbmike on December 21, 2016, 06:18:05 AM
How about this - ditch the digital! Go buy Federation and Empire and play a proper board game.  :P

You missed the statement where it must be single player....this board game suggests 2-8 players:)

I've yet to meet a board game that can't be played solo.  :cowboy:

Diplomacy and the old Avalon Hill Bismark were kind of hard to play solitairire.

But apart from that, solo board gaming teaches you the joy of playing hotseat solitaire in games that have weak AI (like most of Tiller's games).
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Millipede

I'm on-board with Anguille! Imperium Galactica is great fun. There's an extensive Youtube LP at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtLl5qPl6Xk&list=PL095B72196C234C18&index=1 and it's currently available on GOG for $4.79.

undercovergeek

I recently refunded stars in shadow - absolutely nothing wrong with the game, but for me it wasn't doing anything Polaris or stellaris is except with zany graphics

Nefaro

Quote from: Philippe on December 21, 2016, 09:00:31 AM
Quote from: bbmike on December 21, 2016, 06:42:42 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 21, 2016, 06:28:57 AM
Quote from: bbmike on December 21, 2016, 06:18:05 AM
How about this - ditch the digital! Go buy Federation and Empire and play a proper board game.  :P

You missed the statement where it must be single player....this board game suggests 2-8 players:)

I've yet to meet a board game that can't be played solo.  :cowboy:

Diplomacy and the old Avalon Hill Bismark were kind of hard to play solitairire.

But apart from that, solo board gaming teaches you the joy of playing hotseat solitaire in games that have weak AI (like most of Tiller's games).


There are tons of fully solitaire tabletop games these days.  Been pretty popular lately.   :bd:

DennisS

Quote from: Nefaro on December 21, 2016, 02:09:49 PM
Quote from: Philippe on December 21, 2016, 09:00:31 AM
Quote from: bbmike on December 21, 2016, 06:42:42 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 21, 2016, 06:28:57 AM
Quote from: bbmike on December 21, 2016, 06:18:05 AM
How about this - ditch the digital! Go buy Federation and Empire and play a proper board game.  :P

You missed the statement where it must be single player....this board game suggests 2-8 players:)

If you want the best boardgame solo experience around, just get Mage Knight, and be done with it.

I've yet to meet a board game that can't be played solo.  :cowboy:

Diplomacy and the old Avalon Hill Bismark were kind of hard to play solitairire.

But apart from that, solo board gaming teaches you the joy of playing hotseat solitaire in games that have weak AI (like most of Tiller's games).


There are tons of fully solitaire tabletop games these days.  Been pretty popular lately.   :bd:

republic

Quote from: Anguille on December 21, 2016, 04:17:05 AM
I own Dawn of Andromeda but couldn't play it yet because my graphic card isn't good enough.

What video card do you have?  I have a spare HD4850.

spelk

Quote from: bbmike on December 21, 2016, 06:18:05 AM
How about this - ditch the digital! Go buy Federation and Empire and play a proper board game.  :P

How about this on your android phone?

Star Fleet Deluxe
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.fdo.starfleet

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 21, 2016, 02:08:48 PM
I recently refunded stars in shadow - absolutely nothing wrong with the game, but for me it wasn't doing anything Polaris or stellaris is except with zany graphics

I was actually going to pick this up to give a try, but not encouraging:(

Freyland

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 21, 2016, 08:33:32 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on December 21, 2016, 02:08:48 PM
I recently refunded stars in shadow - absolutely nothing wrong with the game, but for me it wasn't doing anything Polaris or stellaris is except with zany graphics

I was actually going to pick this up to give a try, but not encouraging:(

Counter-point!  I just loaded it SiS and found the first ~15 turns to be more engaging than the same for the new MOO.  Perhaps new MOO will 'wow' me in a while, but I haven't felt like going back to it.

Anguille

Quote from: republic on December 21, 2016, 05:20:44 PM
Quote from: Anguille on December 21, 2016, 04:17:05 AM
I own Dawn of Andromeda but couldn't play it yet because my graphic card isn't good enough.

What video card do you have?  I have a spare HD4850.

Thanks. It's an Nvidia Geforce GT 620. I just ordered a new card but thanks for the offer.  :bd:

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=18427.0

HoodedHorseJoe

Quote from: Nefaro on December 21, 2016, 06:37:49 AM

Soooo... basically Star Wars Rebellion then.


Although that's a rather old game, and the graphics may scare you away, it is definitely a wargame and not a 4X.

Loved that game. Been meaning to try and get it working on my computer.

I kind of view Empire at War as it's modern successor, which I remember being pretty good for what it was.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Nefaro

Quote from: spelk on December 21, 2016, 05:36:24 PM
Quote from: bbmike on December 21, 2016, 06:18:05 AM
How about this - ditch the digital! Go buy Federation and Empire and play a proper board game.  :P

How about this on your android phone?

Star Fleet Deluxe
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.fdo.starfleet


I loved Star Fleet I back in the day.  On my C64.   :)