Main Menu

CM 4.0 released

Started by RyanE, December 24, 2016, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeGER

got the bundle :) 
and  was able to update CM BS and CM RT so far :clap: 
(Italy and Normandy i didn't touched yet, Blitzkrieg i don't have   ...so nothing to report about these)

from a first test of  Red Thunder i learned that our German tanks really were ahead of time  ;)

(bad picture quality cause of capture tool that somehow came with Nvidea and i didn't checked any capture settings yet ..its actually a screen shot from inside of 'video capture' running in the background)

to be fair to Battlefront  ... i loaded a very old saved game and also in the old replay phase and  i am thankfully that old saved games do load at all.   

jomni

RyanE

I thnk that happens if you have certain mods installed when you update.  It might also be from directory issues.

Pete Dero

Direct all power to the shields and you'll be safe.

Yskonyn

Quote from: RyanE on December 25, 2016, 07:25:13 AM
I thnk that happens if you have certain mods installed when you update.  It might also be from directory issues.

Indeed. I had all kinds of CMBN stuff showing up in CmBS once. It was because the GameData folder was 'contaminated' with folders and files that shouldn't be there.
That folder should only have the .brz files for the game, nothing more. No subfolders either.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Zulu1966

Quote from: MikeGER on December 25, 2016, 03:43:34 AM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on December 25, 2016, 12:27:10 AM
....Any idea what happened to the follow command you posted about a few weeks back? Can't see it listed.

i have seen a longer post by a developer yesterday who said (here condensed, in my words) "sadly it was just a bride to far to get it work properly and with satisfactorily results for to put into the open. Its seem to be much harder to program then thought. It still remains a top priority on the developers personal wish list, but he is skeptical if it can be done in the CM 2.0 engine at all, Its high up on the teams to-do list for the next evolution of the engine. "       

Thanks Ryan. That's a real pity.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

RyanE

So five days after release, they are still putting together instructions on upgrading...

http://community.battlefront.com/announcement/27-special-upgrade-4-tech-tips/

Here are the instructions (?) on how to upgrade and what to do if you run into issues.  BFC's products and installers have more issues with virus programs than any I have seen.

from the above link (spelling and grammar not mine):

Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are:

1.  If you receive a message that your Upgrade 4 Big Bundle license key is invalid you are probably someone that was bit by a script error that prevented your key from being registered in our license database.  We've fixed most of these by now, but no doubt there are still a few people out there that need a fix.  If you experience this message, and purchased the Windows Download/Hardgoods option or a Mac version, contact the Help Desk with your license key and request it be checked.  There are no apparently problems with other product purchases:

https://battlefront.mojohelpdesk.com/

2.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick.

3.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow.

4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps:

Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license.

5.  The next oddball situation is unconfirmed and appears to be inherently related to #4 above.  Two people have reported they were not been prompted to put in a license key for CMFB when they first launched, therefore the game rightly so refuses to launch.   Since this apparent problem also means there is no "Activate New Products" shortcut to use, follow the above instructions for creating one then try licensing with Upgrade 4 key.  So far both people affected has reported success.

At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way ;)

Yskonyn

All my old savegames show Explosion images for brown dust. So every vehicle drives around with trailing big balls of fire! :)
It doesnt happen in a newly started game.
Minor issue as the dust fades quickly, but funny no less.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Sir Slash

That Is funny. I bet it confuses the hell out of the enemy too. OK, probably not, but I bet it got your attention pretty quick first time it happened.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

RyanE

I have the same issue after Taco Bell.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Con on December 24, 2016, 01:19:45 PM
Just got a message back from the help desk those poor bastards are having to work troubleshooting CM 4.0 launch on Christmas so lets give them a break.  Said the problem was resolved and I just ran a quick several min turns on CM Normandy and it is at 4.0

Con

Why give them a break? They chose Christmas to release it - if they didn't want to support it, they could have waited until the new year.

I bought the last upgrade and their DRM issues messed up my add-on modules. I imagine I'll buy this too, but am hoping it goes easier than the last upgrade.

RyanE

The school of hard knocks says if you want to minimize the hassle, wait a few days before buying a BFC product.  It takes them a few days to get their act together.  That has been the pattern the last couple of years.

Michael Dorosh

So is this correct, re: game engines?

And these game engines are independent of individual title version, yes? For example, CM:FB has a v1.01 and a v1.02 patch, presumably for the original Game Engine 3.0 in which it was released - but also for Game Engine 4.0?

Zulu1966

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on December 29, 2016, 12:37:16 PM
Quote from: Con on December 24, 2016, 01:19:45 PM
Just got a message back from the help desk those poor bastards are having to work troubleshooting CM 4.0 launch on Christmas so lets give them a break.  Said the problem was resolved and I just ran a quick several min turns on CM Normandy and it is at 4.0

Con

Why give them a break? They chose Christmas to release it - if they didn't want to support it, they could have waited until the new year.

I bought the last upgrade and their DRM issues messed up my add-on modules. I imagine I'll buy this too, but am hoping it goes easier than the last upgrade.

Oh look who's here. you are all heart pal. May have had something to do with wanting to give their customers something new over the xmas period when a lot of people have time off. No not possible from the monolithic huge impersonal organisation that is the battlefront mega corp.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Zulu1966 on December 29, 2016, 04:17:05 PM
May have had something to do with wanting to give their customers something new over the xmas period when a lot of people have time off.

May have had something to do with squeezing a little bit of extra income in at Christmas without being prepared to support the product, too. Their comments about not having the manual ready yet, or for some weeks, supports *that* interpretation.

Used to be BFC released stuff "when it's ready." RyanE seems to be on the money.