Main Menu

Tablestop Simulator?

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 29, 2016, 07:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

I have seen this mentioned in this forum and was reviewing it as part of the Steam sale, but had some questions I couldn't readily find answers.....

I know is used to represent tabletop games, but how far does it go?  Meaning, does it actually enforce the game rules, does it keep track of any stats (ones you would normally track on paper or by memory), does it enforce the turn phases/sequences, etc.  There are a few solitaire games (I know there is no AI) listed which I would like to try but just not sure how far this software takes it.  Certainly could be an advantage to playing on the computer to save setups, not have to find space to play, and much cheaper than buying the board game itself.  But if all it does is really graphically represent the game and allow for multiplayer (which I am not at all interested yet), then may consider the actual board games.

Thoughts?

Barthheart

It's just for playing a game on the PC. No rules, stats. Helpful for space limited folks or to play over the interwebs with others.
You still need a copy of the rules to play.

So buy the board games first, if you don't have them.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Barthheart on December 29, 2016, 07:20:51 AM
It's just for playing a game on the PC. No rules, stats. Helpful for space limited folks or to play over the interwebs with others.
You still need a copy of the rules to play.

So buy the board games first, if you don't have them.

Thanks....so maybe the best way for me to think about is it takes all the physical components of the game (i.e. cards, board, pieces, counters, etc.) and virtually represents them on the PC, but basically you interact with it much the same way you would the board game (plus being able to play with friends remotely) except using the computer. 


JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper


MikeGER

#5
in addition there may be some 'scripts' active in some modules

for example an auto setup for the start or different scenarios, shuffling of decks of course, and items/cards go back into the according storage box/area with a click somewhere ...those handy things   

on a side note
Warfighter Modern is in the TTS Steam Workshop with all! bells and whistles
...and the rules are available for download over at DVG ...so its actual free atm
(the 'digital' copyrights are in TTS owners hands, and they gave a waver for that user made module, until their professional produced module will get released, one day)

and there is D-Day at Omaha and D-Day at Peleliu and IIRC the rules are also legal available for download on the interwebs if you dig through BGG forum post hints

Phantom

Worth trying the demo on your PC if there's one available - I've got a reasonably spec'd PC but it ran like treacle - apparently some issue with Win10 or poss. NVidia if I recall my forum hunting correctly.
Regards
Keith

gameleaper

the great thing is there are thousands of free content on steam, and I find it perfect for a miniatures game on a PC, but even so I don't play it .

Hartford688

Damn, disappointed. I initially read "Tabletop stimulator" and had visions of "The postman always rings twice".

What a disappointing end to 2016, which had been up to now been such a winner.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Phantom on December 30, 2016, 12:49:52 PM
Worth trying the demo on your PC if there's one available - I've got a reasonably spec'd PC but it ran like treacle - apparently some issue with Win10 or poss. NVidia if I recall my forum hunting correctly.
Regards
Keith

To the best of my knowledge, no demo exists....although if bought on steam can return if played under two hours.

MikeGER

Quote from: Hartford688 on December 30, 2016, 02:45:36 PM
Damn, disappointed. I initially read "Tabletop stimulator" and had visions of "The postman always rings twice".

What a disappointing end to 2016, which had been up to now been such a winner.

you mixed it up with TableDance Simulator  ^-^                         
(wouldnt be astonished if that kind of software -in a shitty state- already exist somewhere in the myriads of Steam Indie titles also ) 


JasonPratt

According to Jim Sterling, something that amounts to Tabledance Simulator does exist (in the sense of being able to manage a strip joint), and it is just as terrible as you already expect.

Someday, my brain will delete this information for something more useful (please God).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Phantom

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 30, 2016, 06:40:53 PM
Quote from: Phantom on December 30, 2016, 12:49:52 PM
Worth trying the demo on your PC if there's one available - I've got a reasonably spec'd PC but it ran like treacle - apparently some issue with Win10 or poss. NVidia if I recall my forum hunting correctly.
Regards
Keith

To the best of my knowledge, no demo exists....although if bought on steam can return if played under two hours.

I didn't know about the refund policy - thanks for the info Grim, though I'll hang on to TTS as a fix is bound to emerge in time.

MikeGER

Quote from: MikeGER on December 29, 2016, 10:46:06 AM

on a side note
Warfighter Modern is in the TTS Steam Workshop with all! bells and whistles

(the 'digital' copyrights are in TTS owners hands, and they gave a waver for that user made module, until their professional produced module will get released, one day)

The day is now :)

DVG Warfighter Modern is now available as an official TTS DLC  for $14.99 with a 20% launch discount until 3/10/2017  O0
seem to be more polished and enhanced and with helpful scripts and things then the fan made workshop-module

the old workshop-item got pulled meanwhile, naturally

JasonPratt

Yeah, I saw that, haven't picked it up yet -- plenty of other things to do. Someone has been posting "Crossfire" modules over the past month in the Workshop, too.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!