"Feeling Old" 2017 Edition

Started by mirth, January 24, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Sorry to hear that, Greybriar.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Greybriar

Thanks for the condolences everyone. O0

Quote from: trailrunner on August 03, 2017, 06:21:02 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on August 02, 2017, 10:04:34 PM

It's sort of like waiting in the dentist office to get a tooth pulled except it's much, much worse. :(

My friend and I were talking about our parents' declining health.  His father had just died, and I've been dealing with my mother's health issues.  My friend said "the scary thing is that we're on deck and up to bat next."

I know what you mean. My father and all his siblings are dead. My mother and all her siblings are dead. There were eight 1st cousins on my father's side still living at the start of the year. My third to oldest 1st cousin had a heart attack in May. My second oldest 1st cousin (and her husband!) had a stroke a couple of weeks ago. And yesterday my oldest 1st cousin died. At this time there are seven 1st cousins left and I am the third oldest. Who's next? :-\

There was an old man here in this town where I live who told me once, "I know more dead people than live ones." I am beginning to know how he felt.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Gusington

Don't know what to say, Greybriar...anything I type would read hollow.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

40 years ago today, the TRS-80 was released...

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sir Slash

And mine still works just fine. I got it out in the living room by the front door in case anybody breaks-in, they'll think it's some piece of new, expensive tech and steal it instead of the good stuff.  :2funny:  Hope the thieves aren't reading this.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 03, 2017, 10:00:05 AM
40 years ago today, the TRS-80 was released...

Damn. That one hurts.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

The TRS-80 was the first computer I had exposure to at school. That and the Vic-20. I can still smell them.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

OJsDad

I wrote my first programs on a TRS-80 in 7th grade. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bbmike

Quote from: Gusington on August 03, 2017, 10:33:55 AM
The TRS-80 was the first computer I had exposure to at school. That and the Vic-20. I can still smell them.

Same for me. My first computer was a Vic-20 and I used the 'Trash' 80 in high school.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

airboy

Quote from: Greybriar on August 02, 2017, 10:04:34 PM
My oldest living 1st cousin (not the one who had the stroke) died this morning. Now there are only seven 1st cousins left on my father's side of the family. I am the third oldest.

It's sort of like waiting in the dentist office to get a tooth pulled except it's much, much worse. :(

My condolences.

Greybriar

Thanks for the condolences OJsDad, Gus, and airboy.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

BanzaiCat

The TRS-80 Model III was my first computer at home. It was just the base model, sans any disk drive, so all I could do is write a program or two in BASIC and play around with it, but once it was shut off, poof went all my work. It was a big day when on my birthday (think it was my 15th) my grandfather bought a 5.25" disk drive for it, plus doubled the memory from 16K to 32K.  :o

Windigo

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 22, 2017, 09:09:26 AM
OK, Bes, Steelie, Windi, et al...

how many of y'all had one of these?

*raises hand*
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Greybriar

Quote from: Windigo on August 14, 2017, 04:24:00 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 22, 2017, 09:09:26 AM
OK, Bes, Steelie, Windi, et al...

how many of y'all had one of these?

*raises hand*

+1

I've still got it around here...somewhere.