Twelve O'Clock High and Other Old War Movies

Started by BanzaiCat, January 30, 2017, 07:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

"To Hell And Back" Starring Audey Murphy as himself, a genuine American War Hero.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 30, 2017, 03:06:42 PM
"To Hell And Back" Starring Audey Murphy as himself, a genuine American War Hero.  :bd:

+1 He was a for real badass.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Another B-17 movie, The War Lover starring Steve McQueen and Robert Wagner, is also pretty good.

And also not to be forgotten is Murphy's War, starring Peter O'Toole.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Airborne Rifles

B_C, the US Army Command and General Staff School uses 12'Oclock high to teach leadership lessons.

Not strictly a war movie, but The Wind and the Lion (1975) is great. Sean Connery plays a Moroccan Berber raider (I know) who kidnaps an American woman and her children in 1904 and then traded wits with Teddy Roosevelt. Loosely based on real events, but very good.

Nefaro

QuoteTwelve O'Clock High ..

.. not quite so patriotic.. rah rah..

Then maybe check out:

The Blue Max

;)

And, of course, Aces High

Both were on Amazon Prime video a couple years ago, where I saw them for the first time.

BanzaiCat

I did see The Blue Max for the first time a few years back; it was very good.

And yep, I meant more old war movies, say post WWII through the 70s. I think that's about when the war movie efforts started dwindling, though they of course occasionally bring one out (and not always good, *cough*Windtalkers*cough*).

Barthheart

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Was Baa Baa Black Sheep / Black Sheep Squadron based on a theatrical movie originally, or did it just release as a compilation of episodes? That would be late in the list of "old" war movies, but certainly hews to the format and presentation.

Perhaps relatedly, there was a film about JFK's days on PT boats, right? I get the impression it's well thought of, but I don't recall the title (or for sure that it exists).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Barthheart on January 31, 2017, 07:42:37 AM
Cross of Iron

Another good one. I just rewatched it a few months ago...hadn't seen it in more than a decade.

besilarius

Castle Keep is good in a surreal fashion.
Peter Falk: Can we be shot for wearing a german tank?

Other good movies are Away All Boats,  The Gallant Hours, and Halls of Montezuma.
Inparticular, I liked Richard Boone as the commander in Halls of Montezuma.  He could take a throwaway role and really inject some humanity into it.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Barthheart

BanzaiCat

Huh. I've heard of most of the movies thus far, but Castle Keep is not something I've heard of at all. I'll have to check that one out, thanks!