Mayors back parents seizing control of schools

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, June 19, 2012, 01:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mr. Bigglesworth

(Reuters) - Hundreds of mayors from across the United States this weekend called for new laws letting parents seize control of low-performing public schools and fire the teachers, oust the administrators or turn the schools over to private management.
[/size]
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/18/us-usa-education-trigger-idUSBRE85H0J620120618


Wow, SoM is going to freak.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

0kult13

Oh dear, thats not go at all, thinking "to private managment" being the real reason. I just see the corp sponsor teams rubbing hands. Geez and who decides if its a low preforming school ?.

"parent trigger has support from many of the big players seeking to inject more free-market competition into public education, including the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the Walton Family Foundation"

This has epic fail stamped all over it.

"Mayors are moving in a new direction on education, one that's more consumer oriented... and focused on serving parents and giving them choices" just like micky D's ,may have drive thu opions..

Silent Disapproval Robot

I wonder if the mayors would support the same ass hatted stupidity regarding the ousting of the incumbents and subsequent privatization of city hall?

LongBlade

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 19, 2012, 07:36:49 AM
I wonder if the mayors would support the same ass hatted stupidity regarding the ousting of the incumbents and subsequent privatization of city hall?

In theory that's what elections are about.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on June 19, 2012, 01:33:08 AM
(Reuters) - Hundreds of mayors from across the United States this weekend called for new laws letting parents seize control of low-performing public schools and fire the teachers, oust the administrators or turn the schools over to private management.
[/size]
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/18/us-usa-education-trigger-idUSBRE85H0J620120618


Wow, SoM is going to freak.

Because mayors and parents, with all their training in education, are such experts to be able to "fix" public schools.  ::)

I say, let's give them a school and let them try it. I've seen this in action. My home school system, where my parents worked for 30+ years, saw a "fiscally responsible," home school advocating, anti-teacher's union guy become president of the School Board. Guess what happened? He oversaw the hiring of a superintendent that spent the school's surplus on needless building projects, the money set aside for future teacher's raises was frittered away, and took a decent scoring standard-bearer school down several performance notches. That "libertarian" school board president acted just like any politician - he stopped listening to constituents and spent money like it was going out of style.

This is one example of several school system in my area that had the same exact thing happen. If folks think that non-professionals can properly administrate a school corporation, they are vastly incorrect. This kind of movement is the step in the wrong direction.

But sure, let those parents get in there. At least it means that they are actually getting involved in their child's education - which is a far cry from the vast majority of public school parents.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on June 19, 2012, 03:51:19 PM
^The last comment there is a little unfair.

It's not entirely off base though. I don't know that I would say a "vast majority" of public school parents are uninvolved, but a significant portion of them do not care much about their children's education. At least that was my experience after 8 years working in various public schools.

P.S. Welcome back, Gus! We missed you (at least I did).
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Gusington on June 19, 2012, 03:51:19 PM
^The last comment there is a little unfair.

Ok, sure. Mirth put it better than I did. You have to realize that nearly all of my friends and my entire family (including many Aunts and Uncles) are primary and secondary schoolteachers. So I have heard a lot of stories of neglect and parental apathy from several decades of experience. So maybe "vast majority" was off-base, but far too many of them.

Mirth's "significant portion" would be better.

Still, I think it is ironic. The parents who think they could run the school better than the professionals seem to be more vocal than parents who are actually able to encourage learning in their children.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

Quote from: son_of_montfort on June 19, 2012, 05:11:03 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 19, 2012, 03:51:19 PM
^The last comment there is a little unfair.

Ok, sure. Mirth put it better than I did. You have to realize that nearly all of my friends and my entire family (including many Aunts and Uncles) are primary and secondary schoolteachers. So I have heard a lot of stories of neglect and parental apathy from several decades of experience. So maybe "vast majority" was off-base, but far too many of them.

Mirth's "significant portion" would be better.

Still, I think it is ironic. The parents who think they could run the school better than the professionals seem to be more vocal than parents who are actually able to encourage learning in their children.

Good points all around.

I think we can all agree that our education system could stand some improvement. Communication, rather than torches and pitchforks, is probably a better way to handle things, but there ya go.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Quote from: son_of_montfort on June 19, 2012, 05:11:03 PM

Still, I think it is ironic. The parents who think they could run the school better than the professionals seem to be more vocal than parents who are actually able to encourage learning in their children.

Sounds like my ex-wife to a 'T'. She spent so much time yelling at other people (school staff, family, medical staff, me...) about what they were doing wrong in taking care of her kids that she never actually got around to doing any real parenting herself.  ::)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: LongBlade on June 19, 2012, 08:00:37 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 19, 2012, 07:36:49 AM
I wonder if the mayors would support the same ass hatted stupidity regarding the ousting of the incumbents and subsequent privatization of city hall?

In theory that's what elections are about.


Nice retort. ;D
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

OJsDad

Quote from: son_of_montfortStill, I think it is ironic. The parents who think they could run the school better than the professionals seem to be more vocal than parents who are actually able to encourage learning in their children.

Funny, the School Boards are are made up of us unwashed masses that are not professional educators, and I'm pretty sure they're the ones running the school districts.

And while your and Staggerwing are correct, the can be a significant amount of parents that don't care about their kids education, its just free day care as far as they are concerned, but that varies widely from not only district to district, but from school to school.

You've also got a fair share of teachers that are more than happy to pay lip service to parents but do not want the parents involved in their childrens education, after all, their only the parents.

Then you have the teachers that have no business in a classroom and should have their teachers licenses revoked, but are protected by the unions.  All the while, the unions are wondering why we just wont pass a tax levy so they can get 2.5% pay raises each year.

And finally, lets not forget about all of the experts in our state capitals and in DC.  They are constantly changing, tweaking, adjusting and overhauling everything to the point that everyone, teachers, administration, parents, and students have no idea what is going on. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Mr. Bigglesworth

I have to say the US teachers do seem underpaid. With job security, long summers, I would expect a decent teacher to make 45-50k. I remember reading they make 30-40k vs in Canada 55-80 which is unreasonable.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

OJsDad

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on June 19, 2012, 07:53:52 PM
I have to say the US teachers do seem underpaid. With job security, long summers, I would expect a decent teacher to make 45-50k. I remember reading they make 30-40k vs in Canada 55-80 which is unreasonable.

We just hired two teachers last night.  Both have Masters.  One with 6 years and the other with 10 years experience.  They're getting $41 and $48.5 plus benefits. 

Ohio is getting close to implenting a new merit program to help reward the best teachers and hopefully, get rid of the worst performers.  It should be interesting to see how that works out.  Of course, if you don't have any money to give pay raises, then it may be a moot point.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I taught in various countries for 15 years and I was forced to follow a "merit" based system at two schools.  I can tell you it's a terrible idea that does nothing but fail to provide education to the students.  Adopt it and get ready for grade inflation, rote learning, teaching to the test, no failing grades, massive interfence from the administrative body, threats from parents, threats from students, and a poisoned, backstabing faculty.