CM Fortress Italy Upgrade 4

Started by JudgeDredd, March 28, 2017, 04:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ubercat

#30
Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 07, 2017, 08:30:56 AM
IMHO, my experience with the CMFI patch is an example of the kind of dogged devotion to protecting IP that eventually made Storm Eagle Studios the powerhouse of computer publishing it has become..(lots of dripping sarcasm...;) ):  I would hate to see Battlefront go down the same path.

They're working hard on it.  ::) To semi-quote and paraphrase a couple of other posters in this or one of the related BFC threads, the CMFI module that I payed for is FUBAR(unplayable). When I think of trying to fix that or else upgrade my CMBN or CMRT modules, I consider all the hoops that I'd have to jump through and I end up playing something else instead. I have a feeling that BFC won't get any more of my money until they either move to Steam or otherwise lighten up on the DRM. (When hell freezes over)

Edit: I just checked out of curiosity. My CMRT module that I payed for doesn't work either! CMBN still launches (for how long?  ???) CMFI and CMRT are both down for the count until I feel like jumping through whatever hoops BFC has lined up. No thanks.  >:( Grats on getting so much money from me in the first place, though. Imagine how much shit I would take if I dared make this post on their forum.  :o
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

RyanE

Quote from: jomni on April 07, 2017, 05:14:24 PM
Quote from: RyanE on April 07, 2017, 02:14:32 PM
I think the CMSF upgrade in 2017 is very suspect.  My guess is probably mid- to end-2018.  That is a whole lot of content and if CMFI is taking 4-5 months just fix OOBs, I can't imagine how long the CMSF modules will take.

And we were already a quarter through 2017, plus all the other things they say they are working on.

What if they just do the main game?  Have people re-buy it.  Then do the modules later and have people re-buy them again.   :wow:

I suspect even the main game won't make it in 2017.  There is a lot of updating to do on OOB, models, as well as functions.  And then there the rebuilding of scenarios that would need to be done because of changes in gameplay and AI.  BFC doesn't exactly have the best track record on releasing at anything close to estimates.  They should write down an estimated release time, double it, and then say something publicly.

RyanE

Another stealth release...CMFI 4.0 is out.  Now the install fun starts.

RyanE

#33
Fun's already started.  They require reactivation of all CMFI products...CMFI, 3.0, GL.  Guess what...no activations left for CMFI.  Looks like another trip to the help desk.  I can't believe what they put you through to play their games.

I have now tried activation 3 times and no luck.  My install and activations seem to be completely borked.  Read through the CMFI thread and a number of people are having issues and are completely confused.  I have read the install instruction 6-7 times and am still not sure what I am doing.

What a mess and a shame that such a good game continues to be hobbled with incompetent DRM.

stolypin

In fairness to Battlefront, I was able to purchase the upgrade and install it with no problem.  But the instructions on the site were very confusing, contradictory, and alarming.  The instructions suggested I was simply getting an upgrade patch (both versions 3 and 4 with  a "light" update included for just version 4 in case I had already upgraded to 3, which I had).  But what I got was a full install of the game (now confusingly referred to as version 2).  In red text, they warned about having to re-activate and admitted it was a hassle.

As it turned out, these instructions and warning weren't necessary as the install and re-activation went fine and told me exactly what to do.

After a 14 year break from CM, I'm starting to get back into it and intend to buy the other titles.  But their upgrade process makes me appreciate the Matrix approach.  I have upgraded / patched Command: Modern Air and Naval Operations probably over 20 times with ease and never a problem.


RyanE

Exactly...I got it running, but again consider billing BFC for my time wasted.

IronX

I think I read on the BF forum that a full install negates most of the registration hassles. But who knows, it's hella confusing. I've not yet got the 4 upgrade and will probably wait a while until things have settled down.

RyanE

#37
It doesn't negate them.  Its just a beta tester recommendation to make sure you don't have any legacy issues leftover from other installs.  Kind of makes sense except the 5 gig download vs a 400 meg download.

btw, Steve seems to be a little more humble with regards to people having issues getting the upgrade to work.  Still does a lot of butt-covering, but isn't jumping down people's throats who complain.

Michael Dorosh

#38
User documentation is definitely not their strong suit. Engineers make lousy writers, which is why larger companies hire technical writers specifically for that purpose (friend of mine works for the local cable/tech company as a manual writer).

Still remember some of the old third party software for CM - Gordon Molek's CMMOS, the Cocat maps, etc. - all of which also had pretty confusing and unintuitive interfaces and documentation. Getting stuff to actually work as the developer intended while reading their instructions was kind of a victory in itself.

dinsdale

I've also had an issue with Matrix's drm, when adding a dlc/module to it. This kind of drm isn't easy to do, and its natural that with modules being part of the core battlefront business, they go wrong a lot

Not sure what the solution is. I understand them not wanting to put everything through steam; not only for the perceived hit in revenue but also there are people around who still think steam will turn their microwave into fbi video surveillance.

I would assume steam would bring in enough customers to offset both those losses, but strategy game companies other than paradox seem to be very cautious about throwing everything they have into steam.

Rayfer

Quote from: dinsdale on April 11, 2017, 11:35:41 AM
I've also had an issue with Matrix's drm, when adding a dlc/module to it. This kind of drm isn't easy to do, and its natural that with modules being part of the core battlefront business, they go wrong a lot

Not sure what the solution is. I understand them not wanting to put everything through steam; not only for the perceived hit in revenue but also there are people around who still think steam will turn their microwave into fbi video surveillance.

I would assume steam would bring in enough customers to offset both those losses, but strategy game companies other than paradox seem to be very cautious about throwing everything they have into steam.

I'm curious. Other than entering a serial number....what DRM does Matrix have?

dinsdale

They had a serial for one of the add ons to the ageod games which looked for the main game and couldn't find it. I think it was the Roman game, can't remember now other than my surprise at how quick the tech support was

RyanE

I've gotta say that you are the first person I kow of to have an issue with Matrix DRM.  Plenty of people have had issues with downloads and corrupt files.  I have probably bought 50-60 items from Matrix and simple serial number with no DRM application running.

BFC has recently admitted several times that the DRM scheme is not very user friendly.  They keep changing and adjusting it.  CMSF was a nightmare if installing without the unlicensing tool.  CMBN was only slightly better, but became kind of a nightmare with the module addons.  Recently, it has gotten a lot better.  But every release is a new adventure in detailed DRM instructions.  And every time Steve swears this pain will make the next time easier.  And here we are again with people running around confused.

dinsdale

Quote from: RyanE on April 11, 2017, 02:10:11 PM
I've gotta say that you are the first person I kow of to have an issue with Matrix DRM.  Plenty of people have had issues with downloads and corrupt files.  I have probably bought 50-60 items from Matrix and simple serial number with no DRM application running.

BFC has recently admitted several times that the DRM scheme is not very user friendly.  They keep changing and adjusting it.  CMSF was a nightmare if installing without the unlicensing tool.  CMBN was only slightly better, but became kind of a nightmare with the module addons.  Recently, it has gotten a lot better.  But every release is a new adventure in detailed DRM instructions.  And every time Steve swears this pain will make the next time easier.  And here we are again with people running around confused.
BFC has a much higher frequency, but self made drm will always spawn issues. The alternatives require paying someone else money.

Have you read the installation instructions for graviteam's games? This is not a problem exclusively owned by Battlefront.

RyanE

Graviteam might not be the best example for your argument.  They went to Steam for exactly that reason.  There are still a few intracacies in patching, but its 100 times better now on Steam.  I just wish BFC would smarten up on it.

I don't even consider Matrix DRM.  Its a one time order verification.  There are no online connections, no limited installs, and no virus-activating monitoring apps.