Hey Flight Simmers...

Started by Jarhead0331, March 30, 2017, 03:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

I don't think so.
The Viper is a Fly-by-Wire aircraft so it already feels 'digital' in the real thing. Just like people thought the flight model of the Mirage was somehow broken in DCS (it isnt fully polished yet but that a different matter).
And as long as your weapons hit the target and the AI shoots back at you the immersion is there regarding weapons, right?
But once you start spotting details like munitions scattering by wind, proper energy modelling and the finer arts of combat you will notice DCS is more advanced.

By atmosphere I meant weather modelling and ambient effects.
Windshear and orographic wind effects are very nicely modelled in DCS and completely absent in BMS.
The gradual transition from VFR to IFR conditions is something that DCS models better as well, along with realistic light conditions (environmental and man made).

Its just too bad that for such an advanced platform as DCS is (I firmly believe its head and shoulders above anything else air combat modelling related) the immersion factor is so much better in BMS's dynamic campaign. Its the single thing it caused BMS to be still around and the heated debates about the two titles flaring up now and then.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Feast your eyes on this JD. This...is...BMS

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

Killer video...I need to get back into this!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JudgeDredd

oh dear. Where's my Falcon 4 install package  >:D

I do recall a particular game in Falcon 4 where I was flying CAP protecting a tanker. When it came to bug out and return to home plate, I was given coordinates constantly (whether I was requesting them or the ATC was giving them, I don't recall)...but regardless - I was absolutely amazed when I broke through the clouds and was lined up with the runway.

The campaign was superb.
Alba gu' brath

DoctorQuest

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 26, 2017, 04:28:54 PM
oh dear. Where's my Falcon 4 install package  >:D

I do recall a particular game in Falcon 4 where I was flying CAP protecting a tanker. When it came to bug out and return to home plate, I was given coordinates constantly (whether I was requesting them or the ATC was giving them, I don't recall)...but regardless - I was absolutely amazed when I broke through the clouds and was lined up with the runway.

The campaign was superb.

You can get Falcon 4 on Gog these days. It works fine as a basis for BMS.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Nefaro

Quote from: DoctorQuest on October 26, 2017, 05:19:57 PM

You can get Falcon 4 on Gog these days. It works fine as a basis for BMS.

Yes!

GOG's Falcon package also includes Falcon 4 installer in it's "Extras" download section, last I saw.

Still have my old Falcon 4 CD-ROM sitting in my desk drawer.  The one from 1999.  Wonder when it will start failing to read.  Hasn't happened yet, since it still worked for a BMS install I did a couple years ago!

If I focused on single-player, I'd probably do BMS.  But I do multi-player, so I don't put those rickety old bones high on my to-do list.  Busy crashing & burning Air Quakeâ„¢ style!

jomni

My main problem with the wonderful Falcon 4 dynamic campaign is that the tempo of the air war is so high that air strength is descimated in a few hours.  Also, life is measured in seconds. Once you take off several bandits have already launched missiles on you. (I'm speaking about the Korean map, Balkan may have some breathing space.)

Jarhead0331

I'm fairly comfortable with start up to taxi now. I can't say I know the names of the systems associated with all the switches and buttons I'm pressing, but I understand their general purpose or function. It's going to take some time to really get comfortable with radio settings for both uniform and victor bands, and using the ICP to input radio, navigation and flight settings. Also, the avionics included with the MFDs I suspect will take a long time to figure out. That will include, navigation, the radar, etc.

I've been practicing with the ground ops training flight that comes with BMS and I think I may want to create my own mission using a more modern block. The stock mission has you in an old block 15. It takes like 10 minutes for the INS alignment and data cartridge load procedure. I frequently restart the mission so that I can try things I didn't quite understand and I like starting over from the beginning often so that I go through the same steps repeatedly and learn them. I'm at the point where the timing for alignment is tedious.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

jomni

Jarhead0331

It's definitely rewarding to be able to implement what I'm learning and do it through practice without having to refer to documentation!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Your afterburner is on, man!  :hug:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Thanks for the motivation guys. I know I'm going to need it to stick with this. Its easy to get distracted by other games and step away for awhile. However, I know if I take too much time off, I'll repeatedly need to start over from scratch and I really want to avoid that.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

...and now the AV8B Harrier by Razbam is up for pre-purchase...Damn, just damn. Early access expected for late November.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 27, 2017, 10:46:52 AM
...and now the AV8B Harrier by Razbam is up for pre-purchase...Damn, just damn. Early access expected for late November.

They keep luring us in with variety.

I surrendered awhile back.   <:-)

And where's that damn F-18?   :knuppel2: :cowboy:

Yskonyn

Yeah, the Harrier was an instant buy for me.
An early edition of the pocket guide is also available so you can start getting familiar with her: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=193603

Jarhead, just take it easy. While real fighter pilots need to cram all the info into their head and perform up to a high standard in mere weeks, you as a gamer have the luxury of taking it all in at your own pace. Just keep the pace high enough to not get bored, but slow enough to avoid burnout.
The deep dive into combat flightsims is super rewarding!