Battletech is back!!!

Started by Shelldrake, May 12, 2017, 06:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: CptHowdy on April 30, 2018, 08:39:38 PM

what about the energy weapons are they changing?

The dev was responding to the issue with Large Lasers, PPC's and LosTech being undesirable compared to all other weapons due to their heat to damage ratio.  He said he was literally editing values in a balance pass on those things as he was responding. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

DennisS

Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 30, 2018, 09:16:21 PM
Quote from: CptHowdy on April 30, 2018, 08:39:38 PM

what about the energy weapons are they changing?

The dev was responding to the issue with Large Lasers, PPC's and LosTech being undesirable compared to all other weapons due to their heat to damage ratio.  He said he was literally editing values in a balance pass on those things as he was responding.

If there exists damage/balance issues with the TTP Battletech, then I am 100% in favor of keeping them in this game. I have too many technical readouts and lore for them to be invalidated because some dipshit wants a medium laser tweaked.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: DennisS on April 30, 2018, 09:47:37 PM

If there exists damage/balance issues with the TTP Battletech, then I am 100% in favor of keeping them in this game. I have too many technical readouts and lore for them to be invalidated because some dipshit wants a medium laser tweaked.

The issue was brought up a lot on the old pre-Paradox forum when the betas were going on.  The community wanted the Devs to tweak the effectiveness of PPC's and Large Lasers to be less in line with the tabletop, so as to encourage the use of lesser used and favored weapons like medium lasers and the lighter Autocannons.  The devs agreed to do so, and basically did what the community asked.  The community decided it didn't like it. 

The tabletop numbers don't translate exactly to the game.  From what HBS has said about their values, in Tabletop a Large Laser is an 8 Dmg 8 Heat.  Translating to the PC game, and adding in the under the hood heat multipliers that HBS put in, the PC game Large Laser would be a tabletop equivalent of 8 Dmg 10 Heat (It's not 8/6 like it looks like as raw numbers). 

The devs, and a lot of the post-release feedback feel they went too far and actually made Large Lasers and PPC's worthless next to their Medium Laser and ballistic counterparts, largely due to the fact that the devs decided, after being asked, to assign more heat to lasers than in the tabletop. 

Pulse Lasers are are apparently even worse in this regard.  They want to make all weapons interesting for the player to use. 

I doubt the change will be much.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Gusington on April 30, 2018, 07:41:40 PM
^Hey remember when you returned it and got all angry?
I wasn't angry - I thought my post was like "Yeah...won't load. I'll refund and get it when it's fixed"

I don't mind being called angry normally, because I'm well aware I can be - but I do when I'm not  :tickedoff:

Anyway - "you wouldn't like me when I'm angry"  :smitten:

The fix by the way was downloading a set of video codecs. I don't know why they weren't included in the package or at least mentioned, with a link, that they were required
Alba gu' brath

Gusington

Are you angry now? Or just hungry?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

knightsabret

Quote from: sandman2575 on April 29, 2018, 12:24:38 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 29, 2018, 10:48:02 AM

@knightsabret -- are you sure about that? I've never seen contracts refresh based on where you travel. The only thing that seems to refresh the missions is completing a contract - ?

Yes - travel to another place will generate new missions.  Now the difficulty might stay the same, I really don't know.  I did read somewhere that when looking at the star map there is a way to see the difficulty level of local missions at a particular planet, but I can't vouch for that personally.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Gusington on May 01, 2018, 07:35:32 AM
Are you angry now? Or just hungry?
I was hangry. But I'm good now  O0
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

I think whether travel to new systems generates new contracts is a very important question because I'm pretty far into the game and haven't really found a need to travel beyond where the available contracts take me, or to explore.

it would be nice if there was some incentive to travel to different territory, systems and planets. its hard to justify the sometimes long travel times just for a better deal on some spare parts and gear.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bboyer66

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 01, 2018, 09:09:57 AM
I think whether travel to new systems generates new contracts is a very important question because I'm pretty far into the game and haven't really found a need to travel beyond where the available contracts take me, or to explore.

it would be nice if there was some incentive to travel to different territory, systems and planets. its hard to justify the sometimes long travel times just for a better deal on some spare parts and gear.

I've found contracts that are not listed, until you actually stop at the planet.  You might want to try just stopping at systems that are on the way to your next storyline mission.  Cant really hurt to check out what is there, and it really doesn't slow you down. If nothing is appealing, just head back out to your next destination.

Add-on: Have also found some nice equipment at stores by doing this. Gyroscopes, radios, etc.   

DennisS

Quote from: bboyer66 on May 01, 2018, 09:19:02 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 01, 2018, 09:09:57 AM

I've found contracts that are not listed, until you actually stop at the planet.  You might want to try just stopping at systems that are on the way to your next storyline mission.  Cant really hurt to check out what is there, and it really doesn't slow you down. If nothing is appealing, just head back out to your next destination.

Add-on: Have also found some nice equipment at stores by doing this. Gyroscopes, radios, etc.

This is a good call. A system 17 days away is fine..but if you can find a good contract three days away, financially, it makes sense.

acctingman

I'm only a couple hours in but this game is FRACKING awesome. It really forces you to look at your surroundings, enemy units, concealment, tactical awareness....all shit I know nothing about so I'm sure I'll get schooled later on  :uglystupid2:

Quick noob question.

When your shit needs fixing and it takes 20+ days to do so....uhm...what do you do? Will travel time to the next contract take up that time? I don't remember seeing any interstellar strip clubs to kill some time, so.....yea

Thanks

vyshka

You can use the time to travel to another contract. That is usually a good use of the time, or if you have spare mechs and pilots you can keep on playing rock'em sock'em robots.

Cyrano

^Otherwise known as Solaris VII the home game...

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

SirAndrewD

Quote from: acctingman on May 01, 2018, 03:06:00 PM
I'm only a couple hours in but this game is FRACKING awesome. It really forces you to look at your surroundings, enemy units, concealment, tactical awareness....all shit I know nothing about so I'm sure I'll get schooled later on  :uglystupid2:

Quick noob question.

When your shit needs fixing and it takes 20+ days to do so....uhm...what do you do? Will travel time to the next contract take up that time? I don't remember seeing any interstellar strip clubs to kill some time, so.....yea

Thanks

Try as best as you can to progress to the story past the liberation of Weldy.  You get a much better ship with upgradable facilities and much lower repair and healing times after that.    The Leopard that you start with is not meant to carry you through more than a few getting your feet wet missions.  You'll bankrupt yourself if you try to free roam with it too long.

acctingman

So.....

The game is going to be a challenge for me and I'm going to really have to read up on stuff.

After the first intro mission I'm left with 1 serviceable mech, 2 dead pilots and lacking in funds. Do I re-start the game or should I be hiring new pilots? Do I repair those mechs? Buy new ones?

My guess is re-start and suck less  :idiot2: