Bad Mid-Atlantic Storms

Started by TheCommandTent, June 30, 2012, 07:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Quote from: Barthheart on July 01, 2012, 08:02:13 AM
Geez hope all you Gorgs in the affected areas come out OK.  :-[

Let's hope they truly are Unstoppable... ;)

OJ'sDad,
Are you in Indiana? I didn't realize the storms hit that far out. I'm glad you're doing OK. My prayers for those around you who are worse off. SoM lives out your way doesn't he? He seems to have 'gone dark' as well. I hope he and his (soon to be) family are OK. Anyone heard from him?

I'm glad to hear Cap'n Darwin and crew are alright.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

steve58

This storm actually started up around Chicago and traveled about 600 miles.  Heres an article that pretty much explains the derecho phenomenon...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/derecho-behind-washington-dcs-destructive-thunderstorm-outbreak-june-29-2012/2012/06/30/gJQA22O7DW_blog.html

Glad to hear that all the Grogheads are either checking in or being accounted for....
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Centurion40

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 01, 2012, 07:51:27 AM
Thanks for the update. I hope Smuck&Co are making out alright. Same for LB's house...

I'm sure that the Casa del Smuck is well prepared for any contingency.
Any time is a good time for pie.

OJsDad

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 01, 2012, 08:11:08 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 01, 2012, 08:02:13 AM
Geez hope all you Gorgs in the affected areas come out OK.  :-[

Let's hope they truly are Unstoppable... ;)

OJ'sDad,
Are you in Indiana? I didn't realize the storms hit that far out. I'm glad you're doing OK. My prayers for those around you who are worse off. SoM lives out your way doesn't he? He seems to have 'gone dark' as well. I hope he and his (soon to be) family are OK. Anyone heard from him?

I'm glad to hear Cap'n Darwin and crew are alright.

No, I'm in NW Ohio.  SOM is in Bloomington Indiana if I remember correctly, which is south of Indianapolis, and the storms stayed north of there.

The noontime news in Toledo called for us to have a small isolated storm around 4:30.  My wife and kids went to the pool.  Around 3 I checked the radar and saw it was a lot bigger storm coming into Ohio than what they had talked about on the news.  On a whim, I turned on the local news and was amazed that they were broadcasting weather live since the storms were not in or threatening Toledo.  The reason they were broadcasting was tornado warnings in boarder counties due west of us.  I texted my wife and told her to head home on next break and I strated to get things locked down.  My biggest worry was our camper.  But had plenty of time to get it back into the barn. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

Local tv news web site in Lima, OH.  Lima is about 20miles SW of me.

http://www.hometownstations.com/

Check out this video of building damaged in downtown Columbus Grove, village about 15 miles due west of me.

http://www.hometownstations.com/story/18923633/building-destroyed-in-columbus-grove?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=7456469
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

besilarius

Team, this is a chance to create a groggy idiom that is both timely and descriptive.
We all know a few evocative phrases that are so descriptive, that they are part of gaming lore.
"The Panzers went through the enemy infantry like a hot knife through butter."
"The Boyse anti-tank rifle had as much of a chance at stopping a Mark V, as a snowball in hell."

Well, how can we fit a Derecho into gaming lexicography?
Something along the lines of, Napoleon went through the Austrians like a Derecho out of the mid west?
The shape charge went through the frontal armor like a Derecho?

It occurs to me that you could substitute Derecho for any comment that included, "Like greased owl shit."
As in, the twelve inch rounds went through the Battlecruiser's armor like greased owl shit.
The twelve inch rounds went through the Battlecruiser's armor like a Derecho.

What do you think?  A chance to add to and change our idiomatic verbiage?
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

"Sherman marched through the South like a Derecho..."

" My kids brought home a stomach bug from school that went through me like a Derecho..."

"Our new department head went though the employee roster like a 100-year Derecho...the department will never be the same"

(why not use it in RL as well?)

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

mirth

Hope all of you in the storm zone is safe and making out okay. The thought of no power in this heat makes me cringe.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

HEADS UP, round two is starting.  Tornado warnings in NW Ohio.  Looks like a line running from Detroit south to Kentucky at least.

Staggerwing

Quote from: OJsDad on July 01, 2012, 06:08:32 PM
HEADS UP, round two is starting.  Tornado warnings in NW Ohio.  Looks like a line running from Detroit south to Kentucky at least.

Perhaps it's truly the End Times. Where's George Pappard with his giant armored RV when you need him?

(BTW the book was waaaay better. Roger Zelazny is one of my favorite writers.)

Martok

By the by, Smuck texted me back that he and his family are all right.  Apparently their neighborhood was the only one that *didn't* lose power! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

^Is the guy in the hat above Paul Winfield, of 'Lt. Traxler'-Terminator fame??

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Shelldrake

Quote from: Gusington on July 02, 2012, 09:26:45 AM
^Is the guy in the hat above Paul Winfield, of 'Lt. Traxler'-Terminator fame??

Correctomondo!!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

Love that guy. He's so young and trim there!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd