Game where you can use your calculus skills

Started by jomni, August 23, 2017, 02:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart


bbmike

Quote from: Barthheart on August 24, 2017, 02:25:44 PM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on August 24, 2017, 10:33:48 AM
Calculus sucks a goat's ass.

This x 100000000.... and I'm an engineer...  :P

From one engineer to another. +1000  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Heartwarming to read about all the engineers who hate math...
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat


bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

You can make good money right now if you really know COBOL.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on August 24, 2017, 05:27:42 PM
COBOL is still a thing?  :o

It is. So is FORTRAN. There are some frightening legacy systems around that no one under 70 really knows how to maintain.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Damn. I studied both. I thought they went the way of rotary dial phones years ago.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

They should have, but they're still around in some scary ways. Banking and healthcare for example.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

I'd rather code old BASIC scan cards and run them through that decrepit WANG card reader we used my freshman year of high school than fuss about with COBOL lines.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

1984 was a good year to be 15 and have a big machine with the word WANG on it in one of your classrooms.

trailrunner

I'm an engineer and I loved calculus.  I was a double major (engineering and math) for a while, and took all the extra math classes I could.  Our engineering department emphasized math.  I loved mathematical physics - lots of advanced calculus in that class.  Loved it.

I also learned FORTRAN, and I learned it using punch chards.  Those were NOT the good old days.  Punch your cards, submit your job, wait two hours, only to find that you had a syntax error because you mis-typed a character.

BTW, anybody still have an RPN calculator?

mirth

Quote from: trailrunner on August 24, 2017, 05:52:33 PM
I'm an engineer and I loved calculus.  I was a double major (engineering and math) for a while, and took all the extra math classes I could.  Our engineering department emphasized math.  I loved mathematical physics - lots of advanced calculus in that class.  Loved it.

I also learned FORTRAN, and I learned it using punch chards.  Those were NOT the good old days.  Punch your cards, submit your job, wait two hours, only to find that you had a syntax error because you mis-typed a character.

BTW, anybody still have an RPN calculator?

NERD!!!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus