Higgs-boson found.... maybe....

Started by Barthheart, July 04, 2012, 11:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Barthheart

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/07/04/higgs-boson-hunt-over-cern-scientists-at-large-hadron-collider-find-god-particle/

Quote"We have reached a milestone in our understanding of nature," said CERN Director General Rolf Heuer.

He and others cautioned, though, that further work was needed to identify what exactly had been found.

"As a layman I would say we have it, but as a scientist I have to say, 'what do we have?'" Heuer told a press conference.

"We have discovered a boson, and now we have to determine what kind of boson it is."

This was by a competing experiment from the one I was working on, ATLAS. Both are located on the Large Hadron Collider, LHC, at CERN.

This is pretty big news in physics.  8)

MikeGER

#1
i saw the webcast of the news conference this morn

125.3 ± 0.6 GeV with a significance of 4.9 sigma  :) 

looks like the standard model is verified


... the main challenge  of the day for Physicists is now to explain to the average Joe how a Higgs Boson 'works' and 'gives mass' to elementary particles  ;)

...i came up with some ideas how to do it when i get asked in the following days

Con

Saw this link on another site and I thought it was a great way to explain the Higgs-boson

I am no physicist (biochemist is a different matter...come to me if you want to know how pure your drugs are).  This however was a good way to learn about it.

http://vimeo.com/41038445

Con

Keunert

i made several Higgs each time i am really drunk. not in Geneva, but really nearby.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Staggerwing

Let me guess... you managed to split the Beer Atom...

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

I found a Higgs boson once.  It was in between my couch cushions next to Jesus and a cheeto.

besilarius

A little background for this epic discovery.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

0kult13

A Higgs-Boson walks into a church, The priest says "we dont accept Higgs-Bosons here". The Higgs-boson replys "why, without me you cant have mass".

Boom Boom

Staggerwing

^Thanks for reading the picture caption. My eyes aren't what they used to be...  ;)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Keunert

when you drink until your stomachs load hits the pavement, take a look at your puke and the Higgs are the red pieces inbetween the noodles.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

mirth

Quote from: Keunert on July 05, 2012, 01:01:03 PM
when you drink until your stomachs load hits the pavement, take a look at your puke and the Higgs are the red pieces inbetween the noodles.

And here I thought that was red-colored hot dog.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

meadbelly

"Higgs boson" is a lot of fun to say. Perhaps not as much as say, "grommet" or "ooligarchy," but one of those is made up anyway.