Call of Duty WW2 Free open beta this weekend on Steam.

Started by AchillesLastStand, September 26, 2017, 01:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

FlickJax

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory was the best for gameplay by far in my humble opinion, the COD UO.

Went down hill after COD 4.


Grim.Reaper

I was going to get this immediately, but lack of single player information has put me in the wait and see mode.  Read somewhere there are 11 missions totaling 5-7 hours of gameplay...if true, not sure worth $60....might be sales material.

JudgeDredd

I heard there's a medic when you need attention. Quite cool. I heard other things which sounded quite cool...can't remember them though - the medic thing stuck out to me because I remember it from Medal of Honor Pacific Assault which I really liked.

I'll keep my eyes open...but if I'm honest, I always preferred the Medal of Honor games to the Call of Duty stuff (with the exception of Modern Warfare which was probably one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had. It's at least in my top 5.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Interesting campaign footage......very private ryan-ish...although kind of weird seeing the americans speaking german:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Fx0GEMWMQ


JudgeDredd

#20
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 01, 2017, 08:25:28 PM
Interesting campaign footage......very private ryan-ish...although kind of weird seeing the americans speaking german:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Fx0GEMWMQ
There's a whole mix in there. They did this alot - include scenes from movies. As you say SPR (landing sequence), Band of Brothers (going through Carentan) and I'm sure I saw some Iron Cross-esque stuff in one footage I saw.

Just watched your video - straight rip out of SPR. No wonder games costs so much to make nowadays. There must have been royalties required for this game.

Also - I'm pretty sure they did this scene in one of there previous WWII titles - which makes me even more sad that it comes across as a rehash with a different skin and in fact the first paragraph of the review says so
QuoteCall of Duty: World War 2 is influenced by the series' early games
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

well, another reason why i may not get it.....i know my viewpoint will anger pc purist people, but in most shooter games nowadays i use a controller versus mouse and keyboard.  looks like this version has removed aim assist features.  i know some people feel that is a form of cheating in multiplayer modes, but i never play multiplayer.  in the past when i tried to use a controller without the assistance, found it very frustrating since controller not as precise.

i can understand why it might be disabled for multiplayer, but why take it away for single player?

oh well, likely another reason i will save $60, if i can stop trying to convince myself to buy it:)

FlickJax

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 02, 2017, 04:28:42 AM
well, another reason why i may not get it.....i know my viewpoint will anger pc purist people, but in most shooter games nowadays i use a controller versus mouse and keyboard.  looks like this version has removed aim assist features.  i know some people feel that is a form of cheating in multiplayer modes, but i never play multiplayer.  in the past when i tried to use a controller without the assistance, found it very frustrating since controller not as precise.

i can understand why it might be disabled for multiplayer, but why take it away for single player?

oh well, likely another reason i will save $60, if i can stop trying to convince myself to buy it:)

Weird on the beta weekend they were complaining about too much assistance. Mouse and Keyboard all the way - and clan servers :)

Grim.Reaper

Well of course I caved after initial positive reviews....can't play until tonight though

JudgeDredd

lol - as did I.

So I played some.

It looks fantastic but my god - the stuttering. I'm not necessarily blaming the game here - though I did read in the review posted that there was stuttering in the PS4 version. It's really bad on my PC. I'll turn down some settings and check see if it goes or lessens. One stutter, on the beach with the bangalore, took over a minute before it started to stutter back to normal.

Gameplay? Well...................it's Call of Duty. It's just frenetic combat. I'm just off the beach now and at some farm building to get a German 88.

So far it's nothing special and alot of the same old same old. But it does look good, though it might not do by the time I work out what settings I have to turn down to get rid of the stuttering.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Well heading home to play although drunk so it will seem good anyway:)

JudgeDredd

System memory whilst running is fine with almost 2GB left out my available 8GB. All 4 CPU cores are running under 100% - around 70%.

When setting most of the graphics options to their maximum (and the game looks fantastic) I'm using 2.5 out of my 3GB card so the stutter is odd. Could be a single item mind.

Resetting the graphics options to default did get rid of the stutter...but it looked poor. I'll find out if there's a single item or specific combination and post back tomorrow.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Toonces

^ I'm watching you Judge...like a (drunk) hawk...   >:(
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

No stutters for me, just completed first mission.  Fairly hectic, but nothing major stood out.  Good graphics ...however, I don't know what it is about COD games, but they always make me a little motion sick...completely forgot about that:(  I think its all the jerkiness of the camera as it simulates chaos but geesh I hope I can make it through the other missions.