Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

Started by Martok, November 14, 2017, 01:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

My issue with this TW is the same as for Charlemagne: there were really no standing armies at the time. I wish they would implement a system where you quickly "raise" most of your forces for campaign but to do so drastically affects food production (or any production). That way the King of Mercia isn't hanging out with a full time army constantly
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

W8taminute

^Oriental Empires does that somewhat nicely.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

CJReich46

Quote from: mikeck on April 30, 2018, 03:45:21 PM
My issue with this TW is the same as for Charlemagne: there were really no standing armies at the time. I wish they would implement a system where you quickly "raise" most of your forces for campaign but to do so drastically affects food production (or any production). That way the King of Mercia isn't hanging out with a full time army constantly

I like that idea. I read that in The Last Kingdom that the fyrd was raised but they would be released for the harvest.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Surtur

Quote from: W8taminute on April 30, 2018, 05:09:49 PM

+1 for shout out to Oriental Empires! (not biased at all)

On Total War: Does anybody know you you can sail the rivers with your armies? I think this was a fairly big deal at the time.
"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"

JudgeDredd

I'd quite like this - but I get soooooooooo little time invested from the Total War games. I definitely run a negative play time to cost ratio.

I think I've got about 10 hours or something on the Warhammer one which has been lorded as being the best in the series by many.
Alba gu' brath

HoodedHorseJoe

Quote from: Surtur on May 01, 2018, 02:57:09 AM

On Total War: Does anybody know you you can sail the rivers with your armies? I think this was a fairly big deal at the time.

Only one or or two major rivers are represented afaik, an even then it's more that they've extended the ocean inland a bit to allow ships to reach places like London. It's not an official thing, sadly.

Quote from: mikeck on April 30, 2018, 03:45:21 PM

To be fair, the two Saxon factions have a 'Fyrd' mechanic where you're only allowed to raise so many levy troops. Starts off at like 20. Go over this limit and your economy starts to suffer. That limit can be raised or lowered by events, and by the number of map nodes you control. It was never really an issue for me though.

Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Hofstadter

I just preordered it.

I LOVE my total wars. Shameless fanboy so....pfft
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Gusington

Me too. No shame in that here. Still waiting for my code.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Quote from: Surtur on May 01, 2018, 02:57:09 AM

:)  Yes great game! 

One thing I enjoy about Oriental Empires is the battles take place directly on the main map.  Although the player has no direct control during the battle one must pay attention to the group composition, move orders, and tactics prior to going in.  Plus I love the fact that boats can be used to pepper land units with arrows. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

I hope this game's great but I've been disappointed too many times by CA to be a day-one buyer. Probably after a patch or two and a sale along with Loin-moistening comments, I'll jump in.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I've been called much worse.  :P    I'm looking hard at the Attila Mod, "Ancient Empires" that takes it back to Rome/Carthage days and looks VERY nice. Not done yet though, I think an update's coming May 18th. Also there's a Medieval mod for Attila too.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Before I play Thrones of Britannia I need to play one more full campaign each of Rome 2, Attila and Shogun 2.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Nice to see preload available today....started mine.  No idea if will be good or not, but always buy this series.  Little surprised only 5.8GB, not sure worthy of a preload:)

Surtur

Quote from: WargamerJoe on May 01, 2018, 03:34:23 AM

Only one or or two major rivers are represented afaik, an even then it's more that they've extended the ocean inland a bit to allow ships to reach places like London. It's not an official thing, sadly.

Thanks for the info Joe, it is a shame. I think I will wait a little
"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"