UN Small Arms Treaty

Started by LongBlade, July 11, 2012, 10:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Batted around somewhere in my Inbox is an email to a link where (IIRC) Dick Morris asserts that a treaty bears the same legal weight as an amendment to our constitution.

So in a very real sense this treaty indeed seems to be a possible circumvention of the normal legislative process.

Now I'll be the first to tell you that I am not sure about the claim that a treaty has the same weight as an amendment...but it sounds right.

Further to JH's point, why the heck would we sign up to a treaty that isn't specified yet?

And why we'd put Iran as a leader to this party is, well, stupefying to say the least.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Greybriar

Snopes updated its entry on this topic on 9 July 2012.

I hope Snopes is right.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

LongBlade

Quote from: Greybriar on July 11, 2012, 06:29:28 PM
Snopes updated its entry on this topic on 9 July 2012.

I hope Snopes is right.

The Snopes article is interesting but doesn't exactly help.

The first three paragraphs are more or less irrelevant: the treaty hasn't been signed (yet) and hasn't been ratified (yet). It's my understanding that our secretary of state is on her way to finish the negotiations and then sign it. Not much to be done there.

Ratification is another issue. One of my Senators (a Democrat) sent me a boilerplate response to my boilerplate email that was rather lukewarm in its response. My local congressman shared "concern" (which is fine) and the other senator...no word yet, though he is a Republican and is likely to oppose it.

The last note Snopes makes is the relevant one: it has to do with the substance of the treaty. We don't know the details. It's unlikely to be anything like a full gun ban. Nevertheless, it bears watching. Anything which even partially touches the internal workings of the US, especially dealing with our Bill of Rights, needs to be closely examined and jealously guarded. It certainly shouldn't be considered without a broad discussion in the public arena before any commitment is signed, let alone ratified.

That discourse has not happened to date. Draw your own conclusions as to why.

Greybriar

Personally, I think it's a political maneuver designed to align voters against Obama.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

OJsDad

Quote from: LongBlade on July 11, 2012, 06:40:42 PM
We don't know the details.

Sounds like the Affordable Health Care Act, we need to pass to find out what's in it  >:(
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

LongBlade

Quote from: OJsDad on July 11, 2012, 07:45:20 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 11, 2012, 06:40:42 PM
We don't know the details.

Sounds like the Affordable Health Care Act, we need to pass to find out what's in it  >:(

Boy, I hope not. We've already bought one pig in a poke.

eyebiter

Rather than get more slug throwers, consider getting a case of ammo instead.  Just be prepared for sticker shock.

8x57mm corrosive surplus used to be a nickel a round five years ago, now it's a quarter each.

Surplus 5.56 and .308 now brings around 50 cents a round, plus shipping.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: eyebiter on July 12, 2012, 04:45:58 AM

Surplus 5.56 and .308 now brings around 50 cents a round, plus shipping.

More specifically, 5.56 purchased in bulk quantities is roughly .35 cents per round, while .308 is on the average .65 cents.  :D
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 12, 2012, 06:38:31 AM
not in Florida.

One thing I've learned about Florida...at least, South Florida, is that prices for guns, magazines and ammunition are surprisingly very high. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

GDS_Starfury

it doesnt seem like it.  :o
a box of 100 .40 fmj is about $40 at walmart and ususally more at a gun store.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

0kult13

Jeez this is getting like those 2nd amendment domestic extremest sites i visit  ;D

Dudes, be sure DHS will have you all on the red list for such extremist talk.

http://americanmilitiamovement.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Resistance-Movement/39065407500

heres some chris geo for ya.. enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iJHEMSnrRI

and a short film "land of the free"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkPVGB6uQ0k

Con

I could only wish that my industry was as successful at selling fear like the gun industry

I am buying stock in their companies these guys are marketing geniuses.  Every four years they ramp up the branding and communication through proxies that guns are going to be banned/outlawed/take your pick and every four years they get a massive wave of panic buying. 

http://online.barrons.com/article/SB50001424053111904331904577323730425704426.html

Follow the money people...that where the real control is

Con

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Con

Perhaps cynical but I dont think that naive...the cycle is there for people to see who invest and like I said our elections bring in a great built in marketing opportunity that it would be foolish for these corporations to not exploit.

Though  Jarhead might be right maybe I am being too cynical...this article shows that the real reason we are seeing such a surge in gun and ammo sales is Zombies....so its time to blame the walking dead for your ammo costs! ;D

http://moneyland.time.com/2012/06/19/must-be-an-election-year-bullets-are-flying-off-the-shelves/

Con