Just passing

Started by kommandant, July 14, 2012, 11:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kommandant

Quote from: Gusington on July 17, 2012, 02:19:24 PM
^Funny you mention working with computers...I am moving into that area now. You could conceivably combine your love of teaching with technology and teach IT courses, but that would require you to work in the field for a time to become good enough to teach others. Corporate trainers make a lot of dough, especially those in tech fields.

I considered that some time ago, but I really not for it, I really tried working with IT, i just don't like it. I would combine the love with history with teaching, that, would make my day :P

TheCommandTent

*whine on*

My biggest problem is if I want to pursue something else/new I will probably need more schooling.  Which means racking up more debt, and if I can't do it online I'll have to commute or move near the school to do it.  Which means giving up a steady paycheck (not that my current job is great).  The uncertainty of it is what gets me because like Gus said I might do it all and not get into the field/job I want.

*whine off*
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: kommandant on July 17, 2012, 07:42:27 PM
^Funny you mention working with computers...I am moving into that area now. You could conceivably combine your love of teaching with technology and teach IT courses, but that would require you to work in the field for a time to become good enough to teach others. Corporate trainers make a lot of dough, especially those in tech fields.

I considered that some time ago, but I really not for it, I really tried working with IT, i just don't like it. I would combine the love with history with teaching, that, would make my day :P

There are a few companies which make educational games. Muzzy Lane comes to mind - why not combine the love of both?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

For my MA I lucked out because I was a resident of New Jersey when I attended Rutgers. Also my job at the time covered 1/3 the cost. In the end I think I spent 3000.00 of my own money total on my MA.

Starting down the IT path my current employer has paid for the first two courses. You would be surprised at how many companies will pay for your education.

If/when I go back to school for a Masters of Public Health I plan on going a similar route.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

kommandant

Quote from: LongBlade on July 17, 2012, 08:20:32 PM
Quote from: kommandant on July 17, 2012, 07:42:27 PM

There are a few companies which make educational games. Muzzy Lane comes to mind - why not combine the love of both?

Nice, sadly muzy lane requires me to work on their office, in the US, I live in Brazil and don't have as much exp as requiered for them to pay for a transport of mine from here to the US :P

I applied there but most probably will not be called, if you know any gaming company that wants someone to work from home, let me know :D

I tried working for game companies in the past, it is a nice add, and backup plan for my life, I really going to try and become a teacher in the field of history, but working with game development would be very good before I get my life going only with teaching.

My last backup plan is the foreign legion, but that is another story :P

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

eyebiter

Before you go ahead and enroll in college for history - write three 15 page papers about topics of local interest.. Then try to submit them to history periodicals and see what the rejection letters say. Here in the US we have publish or perish in college graduate schools.  If you can get your articles published in a printed journal, this is an indicator of success.. The process is very competitive, so you have to get used to peer review which can be brutal.

With the state of the US and European economies, you might be better off staying in South America.. Jobs can be scarce here right now for those who are native English speakers.  Depending on your skill with the language of course.

Centurion40

QuoteMy last backup plan is the foreign legion, but that is another story

WTF!!??  Why??!!
Any time is a good time for pie.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I got my BA in history (focus on Victorian England) and geography (focus on disaster preparedness/relief) but, like others, never could get work in the history field.  I did end up selling a few articles to Military History magazine but the acceptance:submission ratio was about 1:6.  When I worked out my hourly rate, it was something along the lines of $1.50/hr. 

If you're going to study it, do it for interest's sake and have a plan B that pays the bills. 

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 18, 2012, 06:10:41 PM
I got my BA in history (focus on Victorian England) and geography (focus on disaster preparedness/relief) but, like others, never could get work in the history field.  I did end up selling a few articles to Military History magazine but the acceptance:submission ratio was about 1:6.  When I worked out my hourly rate, it was something along the lines of $1.50/hr. 

If you're going to study it, do it for interest's sake and have a plan B that pays the bills.

That my problem figuring out what plan B is.  :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Silent Disapproval Robot

I hear that.  Took me another 18 years of bopping around the globe before I came back, went to school yet again, and landed a decent paying job in the engineering field.

Gusington

^You were published in Military History magazine? Which articles/issues? I had a subscription a long time ago.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

kommandant

Quote from: Centurion40 on July 18, 2012, 06:08:41 PM
QuoteMy last backup plan is the foreign legion, but that is another story

WTF!!??  Why??!!

the foreign legion is and will be my final opition, if I keep some money for a only to go flight to france. It is if every thing in my goes wrong, I loose job, family, lover, money, hope to remake a job and self respect, only then I would join the foreign legion :P

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 18, 2012, 06:10:41 PM

I know people with a good story working on the field. Publishing articles, as teacher in public schools, private schools and even college and working for companies, to create historical heritage buildings.

i always have a plan B, I can work with IT, or any thing else, but going for it is something I must do, or I will not live in peace with my self :D

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Gusington on July 19, 2012, 08:25:26 AM
^You were published in Military History magazine? Which articles/issues? I had a subscription a long time ago.

One on Rorke's Drift (got edited to shit).  One on Spion Kop.  One on Canucks in Ortona.

Gusington

I definitely remember reading articles in MH on the Boer War 10-15 years ago. That was you??

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd