Main Menu

The Oscars

Started by OJsDad, March 05, 2018, 04:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

Quote from: mirth on March 05, 2018, 07:10:57 PM
Moon is excellent and tragically underrated.

Agreed. Excellent film.

jamus34

Quote from: Steelgrave on March 05, 2018, 05:07:18 PM
Haha, yes. This was all a fly-by exhibition of snarkiness on my part anyway. I try to not miss taking a shot at Hollywood, elected politicians or the music industry.  Considering my wife works for the V.A., I gotta give government employees the benefit of the doubt  8)

Some anyway.....

Oops quoted the wrong Steelie post
Insert witty comment here.

Sir Slash

I agree with the rest of you that "Moon" was better than anything the-- insert Steelie rant here-- had to offer during their Annual Anal Preach-Fest/ In-Love With Themselves-a-Thon.  L:-)   Rockwell was also great in," Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy".
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 05, 2018, 07:07:31 PM
I'm glad Sam Rockwell won best supporting actor. If you can, check him out in the 2009 Scifi film 'Moon' (directed by David Bowie's son, Duncan Jones), where excepting a few videos and an AI voiceover, Rockwell is the only actor on set during the entire movie.

BTW, in the film, the Moon station's AI is voiced by Kevin Spacey. Hindsight is creepy sometimes...
Very underrated. In fact, as he was getting his Oscar, I told my daughter she needed to watch Moon and ordered it on Amazon.
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 05, 2018, 11:13:51 PM
I agree with the rest of you that "Moon" was better than anything the-- insert Steelie rant here-- had to offer during their Annual Anal Preach-Fest/ In-Love With Themselves-a-Thon.  L:-)   Rockwell was also great in," Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy".

Also in an underrated comedy about pulp sci-fi writers - Gentlemen Broncos.   :D

Jemaine Clement's pretentious "Chevalier" character is also hilarious in it.

His "Cyborg Harpies" thing ..  :DD

Steelgrave

Quote from: jamus34 on March 05, 2018, 10:45:45 PM
Haha, yes. This was all a fly-by exhibition of snarkiness on my part anyway. I try to not miss taking a shot at Hollywood, elected politicians or the music industry.  Considering my wife works for the V.A., I gotta give government employees the benefit of the doubt  8)

Some anyway.....

I try to give you lots of material to choose from   ::)

Steelgrave

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 05, 2018, 11:13:51 PM

And thank you, Sir Slash, for the new addition to my sig line   O0

DoctorQuest

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 06, 2018, 01:29:13 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on March 05, 2018, 07:07:31 PM
I'm glad Sam Rockwell won best supporting actor. If you can, check him out in the 2009 Scifi film 'Moon' (directed by David Bowie's son, Duncan Jones), where excepting a few videos and an AI voiceover, Rockwell is the only actor on set during the entire movie.

BTW, in the film, the Moon station's AI is voiced by Kevin Spacey. Hindsight is creepy sometimes...
Very underrated. In fact, as he was getting his Oscar, I told my daughter she needed to watch Moon and ordered it on Amazon.

It is also on Netflix at the moment as well.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

BanzaiCat

Zero interest in ever watching the Oscars. Didn't even know it was on until the next morning. Could do completely without their politics and whinging and self-masterbatory congratulations to each other. Ugh.

I like 'em as actors, producers, directors...but politics...I watch them for their acting chops, not their politics.

DoctorQuest

Just finished "Moon" on Netflix. Dang. That there is a good movie.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Staggerwing

Quote from: DoctorQuest on March 06, 2018, 05:50:05 PM

And it was pretty much all practical special effects, not much CGI. Oldskool!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: DoctorQuest on March 06, 2018, 05:50:05 PM

Good man  O0
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

jamus34

Quote from: Steelgrave on March 06, 2018, 09:54:57 AM
Quote from: jamus34 on March 05, 2018, 10:45:45 PM

Some anyway.....

I try to give you lots of material to choose from   ::)

Not hating on the Steelie quote, just picked the wrong one.

An awards ceremony for the 1%'s...Self-absorption at it's finest.
Insert witty comment here.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus