Main Menu

WWIII Fiction

Started by Gusington, July 18, 2012, 08:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Airborne Rifles

Stay away from the Ian Slater books.  I read them in high school...terrible.

eyebiter

Dale Brown - Silver Tower is a good read.  Soviets invade Iran to gain access to the Persian Gulf.

Charles Taylor - Show of Force was decent read.  US and Soviet carrier battle group duel.

First Clash: Combat Close-Up In World War Three - haven't read it but it looks interesting for a vintage Fulda Gap 1985 scenario.

Shelldrake

Quote from: eyebiter on July 19, 2012, 12:26:55 PM
First Clash: Combat Close-Up In World War Three - haven't read it but it looks interesting for a vintage Fulda Gap 1985 scenario.

This one is quite good. It started out as an official manual and details the first 48 hours of combat by a Canadian Mechanized Brigade. Good luck finding it though because it has been out of print for years. Fortunately my local library had a copy! :)
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Staggerwing

Yep, not a prayer of finding that one anytime soon...  ;)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

Quote from: Shelldrake on July 19, 2012, 12:51:07 PM
Quote from: eyebiter on July 19, 2012, 12:26:55 PM

This one is quite good. It started out as an official manual and details the first 48 hours of combat by a Canadian Mechanized Brigade. Good luck finding it though because it has been out of print for years. Fortunately my local library had a copy! :)

I read Macksey's, "Guderian:Panzer General". 
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Toonces

Red Army is one of the best war novels I've ever read.  I very, very highly recommend it.  It is very emotional (or at least I thought it was).

I second the stay away from the Ian Slater books.  Not good at all.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

meadbelly

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on July 19, 2012, 11:51:31 AM
Stay away from the Ian Slater books.  I read them in high school...terrible.

I second that. I have done horrible things to myself largely to kill off whatever brain matter contains the Ian Slater content.

And no, they are not so good as to be bad.

Toonces

That's the book, Gus.  It tells the story from the WP point of view, but Peters does a great job of fleshing out the characters, their motivations and fears, and it is just an all around great book.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Can't really beat the price of .01 for a hardback copy. The release date says 2011...is that accurate?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Boy you ask a lot of questions.  I got my copy back in 2009 or so; if your copy says 2011 it might be a reprint.

Staggerwing

Red Army came out sometime in the '80s iirc.

Edit: looks like 1990.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

I ask all my questions on a need to know basis, sir.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd