>> At Least 14 Dead in Shooting at Batman Premier in Colorado <<

Started by bayonetbrant, July 20, 2012, 05:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelldrake

Quote from: Greybriar on July 20, 2012, 11:12:36 AM
It's too damned bad someone in the audience didn't have their own gun. That would have saved a lot of lives, saved taxpayers a lot of money, and put an end to that nutcase.

Sounds like the killer was expecting a shootout since he was kitted out in a bulletproof vest and other gear.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Shelldrake on July 22, 2012, 05:04:27 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on July 20, 2012, 11:12:36 AM
It's too damned bad someone in the audience didn't have their own gun. That would have saved a lot of lives, saved taxpayers a lot of money, and put an end to that nutcase.

Sounds like the killer was expecting a shootout since he was kitted out in a bulletproof vest and other gear.

Yeah I was surprised to hear the he surrendered so easily to the police.  It seemed like he was ready to make a stand before being arrested.  For the officers involved I am glad he didn't.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

OJsDad

It sounds like his rifle jammed.  If that is the case, then he may not had a weapon to use for a shootout with the police.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Gusington

Often in cases like this the perpetrator is killed or kills himself. In this case he was captured alive and unharmed. I hope he does not put up a legal fight for the sake of the families left behind but I do have a morbid curiosity as to what makes this guy tick. He's obviously not  a stupid person.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

pawelj

Quote from: LongBlade on July 21, 2012, 05:38:32 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on July 20, 2012, 10:52:09 PM
Quote from: airboy on July 20, 2012, 07:24:21 PM

....Better screening for mental illness prior to gun purchase would also be a good thing.

That would mainly cause upright citizens in our society to jump through more hoops. It would not prevent killers from getting guns.

My money is on some warning signs that folks around him missed/ignored.
Up until he pulled the trigger he did not break any laws. That means no-one would really be able to do anything. Only after the fact people can piece together some clues. Unfortunately if we want to live in a free society we need to be able put up we outrages commited by individuals. We need to wait for more info on this to make judgments. 
"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill

Centurion40

Quote from: Gusington on July 22, 2012, 10:23:56 AM
Often in cases like this the perpetrator is killed or kills himself. In this case he was captured alive and unharmed. I hope he does not put up a legal fight for the sake of the families left behind but I do have a morbid curiosity as to what makes this guy tick. He's obviously not  a stupid person.

Too bad that this type of killer doesn't just start out with themselves!
Any time is a good time for pie.

LongBlade

Quote from: Centurion40 on July 23, 2012, 07:54:26 AM
Quote from: Gusington on July 22, 2012, 10:23:56 AM

Too bad that this type of killer doesn't just start out with themselves!

+1
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MIGMaster

Mr. Bigglesworth

On the anniversary of the Norway shooter this guy in plastered all over the news with neon red hair. F him and F the news for giving him what he wants. The lawyers are saying it may take a year to get to trial. All these groups want to feed of their creation. They are the enemy as much as him.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Barthheart

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 23, 2012, 12:21:09 PM
On the anniversary of the Norway shooter this guy in plastered all over the news with neon red hair. F him and F the news for giving him what he wants. The lawyers are saying it may take a year to get to trial. All these groups want to feed of their creation. They are the enemy as much as him.

+100  >:(

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Greybriar

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

I can't figure out if James Holmes was putting on his delirium today in the court or if he really is as insane as he looks. I'm leaning towards a put-on for now.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MikeGER

Quote from: LongBlade on July 23, 2012, 01:46:58 PM
Quote from: mirth on July 23, 2012, 01:29:43 PM
Now we have the wisdom of Jason Alexander to contemplate-

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/if2nht

Meh.
Double Meh  ... i liked him in the role of George much more  ::)

Why doesn't he speaks about the real problem. The society kills ppl (turns ppl into maniacs on a misson, criminals, lunatics, ...)
In the Swiss there were fullauto assault rifles in many households  (i bet our friend Keunert can tell us the exact percentage)
The number of Swiss ppl killed is not significant different from countries with very strict gun-laws.
(with the exception of those guns used in suicide or jealousy crimes, just because they were handy, instead of a rope/sleeping pills, or a simple kitchen knife, but the overall number of suicides and jealousy crimes was not enlarged, just the chosen method)
qed.
There must be something wrong with the US society in comparison to the Swiss society?   and its not the guns.