Modern Global Strategy Games - What's Available?

Started by Ian C, April 30, 2018, 01:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


HoodedHorseJoe

Quote from: Wburn on May 03, 2018, 12:02:49 PM
https://store.steampowered.com/app/282400/SuperPower_2_Steam_Edition/

This was OK for a global strategy game and it's pretty cheap.

Woah, SuperPower 2 is on Steam!? Why does nobody tell me these things!

I accidentally picked up a second physical copy of the game for 50p in a second-hand store. Clearly, I need a to now own a third copy...
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

fabius

Modern itch intensified to the point of me trying Geopolitical Simulator again.
Spent last night and today on the latest version Geopolitical Simulator Power & Revolution.

So far so good. Much better than the first version I tried years ago. Less buggy, stable, more to do, more tips on the net. Oh yes, and a big one more control over difficulty settings and ability to play on after electoral defeat (with dlc).

Does feel like running a county and is immersive; but the combat is basic. I'm just seeing combat as abstracted at the mo and enjoying the modern run a country game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/467520/


Pete Dero


airboy

Quote from: WargamerJoe on May 04, 2018, 03:54:08 AM
Quote from: Wburn on May 03, 2018, 12:02:49 PM
https://store.steampowered.com/app/282400/SuperPower_2_Steam_Edition/

This was OK for a global strategy game and it's pretty cheap.

Woah, SuperPower 2 is on Steam!? Why does nobody tell me these things!

I accidentally picked up a second physical copy of the game for 50p in a second-hand store. Clearly, I need a to now own a third copy...

How well does this work on modern machines?

What is the take on this game?  Any trustworthy reviews or player experience?

Jarhead0331

The game sucks. It never worked. Only good for nuking.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Pete Dero


RyanE

"Well, the tools are there with CMANO"

While a nice thought, I am skeptical of this being feasible.  The amount of scripting you would have to do to operate beyond the tactical sweet spot of the game would probably be on par with writing your own game from scratch.

Yskonyn

Quote from: RyanE on May 05, 2018, 04:25:02 PM
"Well, the tools are there with CMANO"

While a nice thought, I am skeptical of this being feasible.  The amount of scripting you would have to do to operate beyond the tactical sweet spot of the game would probably be on par with writing your own game from scratch.

Hence my remark about 'in theory...' . :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 05, 2018, 01:27:40 PM
Quote from: Wburn on May 03, 2018, 12:02:49 PM
https://store.steampowered.com/app/282400/SuperPower_2_Steam_Edition/

This was OK for a global strategy game and it's pretty cheap.

You can try it for less than 2 € or $ 2

https://www.voidu.com/en/superpower-2?voider=isthereanydeal&utm_source=isthereanydeal&utm_medium=affiliate (I used Voidu before without any issues)

Latest reviews on Steam are quite positive ...

It's funny.....even though I doubt I'll play much, I went ahead and bought some place for $2 as well and I'll say it wasn't as horrible as I remembered.  Sure, it's likely got a ton of flaws and not as great as other games, but I have probably already gotten my $2 worth:)  Just to see my nuclear missiles streak across the globe is worth the price of admission alone.

Like others, I would really love to see a deep modern day game like this produced....still remember Balance of Power and Geopolituque 1990 being my first two games in this space and really enjoyed them although they really only scratched the surface too.

Ian C

#25
Quote from: Pete Dero on May 05, 2018, 09:16:14 AM
Corrected the YT link.

I've bought all of these previous versions. Reading on STEAM reviews it appears this version is now playable with the 2018 update and patch so I may give it a spin. Not as in-depth for military matters as I'd like but still, this is as close as I'll get I guess.


Two reviews for base game with 2018 add-on:

QuoteI'm one of the most critical of Eversim on the steam forums and it's very well known they are all about the money. That being said, I have experienced some performance improvements which has been mentioned in previous reviews. There are some 'okay' new features such as the space race, but personally I'm not quite sure on the benefits of it... In regards to their cyber security, well, it's just another thing I have to manage in my opinion; though it's useful to rig elections in smaller countries.

I'm not sure if there have been performance increases with the 'free' update everyone was meant to get, but there certainly has been in this. I still think Eversim are dodgy, all be it nice people when they actually talk to you (email). But overall, this does add some additional features as promised, even if they are a pain in the♥♥♥♥♥♥to manage.

With all that being said, for once, I'm going to recommend this addon to P&R die hards, but not to those just purchasing the game for the first time.





Suprisingly - this appears to be a lot more polished than the base game. Things tend to just work a considerable amount more than in the base game, which is a pleasant change of pace. Fewer slowdowns too.

Now onto the main features - the cyberwarfare seems like a good addition to the game, as it's been relevant recently. It's implementation is pretty good - it includes both new policies and actions you can take vis-a-vis other countries. It also supports the God'n'Spy addon, so if you have that - you'll be able to cheat on cyberwarfare.

The space exploration is also quite a lot more in-depth than I expected. It has it's own technology tree, it's own mechanics, a new space map and new ways to interact with other countries to cooperate in space. A welcome addition.

But, what possibly suprised me the most is that, by buying this, you are also receiving all the features of the 2017 edition, such as GNH, the ability to switch or found new parties and such for free. A very welcome pro-consumer policy by Eversim! I hope they continue in this vain!

However, it is worth noting that, upon buying the 2018 edition, you will no longer be able to play the vanilla 2016 (havent tested 2017) "World in 2016" and "legal opposition party" scenarios. Those will be replaced with the ones from the 2018 edition. The rest are left untouched. I don't know why they couldn't have had both, but hey.

Because buying this also brings you the benefits of the 2017 edition, and some much-needed polish to the game (although it is worth discussing if polish and bugfixing should be parts of DLC and not free patches) - It's easy for me to recommend this to anyone that owns the base game. It definitely improves the experience in a considerable way, both in terms of the new features, and the polish added to the existing ones. The fact that it works with G'n'S is the icing on the proverbial cake.

In particular, I am very happy with the pro-consumer turn of Eversim's policies. I'm sure that this will give a jolt of health to this game's community. All in all - I have a positive opinion for this DLC.





Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

fabius

Yes the combat is way too basic, and clunky. But at the moment I think the economy side shines well enough for it to be playable. Internal politics is it's strong point too.
But one day I need to see this sort of game with a strong military side.

There are some useful economy and other tips on these boards: http://eregime.org/forum/124066/

In other news, seems like Modern Day 4 mod for Hoi are working on getting money into the game.

Grim.Reaper

I would take a chance on it but, at $50 for base game, then a bunch of DLC to get current through 2018....that's a little too much to put my faith into a good enough experience.

Ian C

Quote from: fabius on May 06, 2018, 06:00:22 AM
In other news, seems like Modern Day 4 mod for Hoi are working on getting money into the game.

The major problem using HOI 4 for modern geopolitics is that economy and politics is simplified so much as to be almost insignificant. Paradox really needs to make a modern game that's close to EU 4 and Crusader Kings II WITH the military depth of HOI 4. I really don't know why they haven't done this. Offhand I'd say it would be a huge seller. Maybe it's too controversial.