Combat Mission engine 4 patches released

Started by WallysWorld, May 03, 2019, 04:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Elvis

Quote from: Redwolf on June 12, 2019, 10:26:04 AM
Can't get past this step.

For British and CMMG I have the bundle, and the newest download from yesterday is "CMBN Windows Commonwealth Market Bundle.zip"

That thing installs 2.12, and everything is allright in there. CMMG and British are both active.

My 3.x update is "CMBN Windows 3.12 Full Installer.zip" which, as I can see, contains CMMG and Commonwealth on its inside. Still, installing this sucker leads to a CMBN 3.12 which has Commonwealth and CMMG disabled.

In the 2.12 I tried playing a British battle, it works. All activation seems to have been done properly. But the 3.12 complete install disables British and CMMG.

I am not sure why you have done the process above. I mentioned the all-in-one full game installer to save you the bother. As others have said (assuming that you don't have 4.0...in which case you would do this with the 4.0 download rather than the 3.0 download) the "Full Installer" that you mentioned is the only thing that you need to download and install. I think I mentioned earlier that it installs the base game and every module, patch, Pack and Upgrade through the 3.12 patch (that's why 3.12 is in the name of the download). The complete process is:

1) Download and extract the CMBN Windows 3.12 Full Installer.zip file and run the set up exe
2) Launch the game and enter your 3.0 key. Close the game
3) Use the Activate Modules desktop shortcut and enter your module and Packs keys to "unlock" their content.
4) Play game

Also, I saw a mention earlier about download limits.....there is no limits on downloads. There haven't been since our old old online store. But the current store and the one before it did not have limits on downloads.

As far as why the patches are available separately, in addition to being in the full game installers. Some people add patches to their current installations as the patches are released (as opposed to a fresh total game installation). They are a much smaller downloads than the full game. This is most important to people with metered broadband and also a little time saver for every one. Also, folks are not required to purchase the 3.0 Upgrade (and 4.0 for the other titles) and will still need to do step by step installation.

Bottom line, do not ever spend days fighting to get up and running. Drop me a note at the Help Desk and I'l be able to look at your purchase history and give you the step by step process for everything that you own if you are struggling with it.

RyanE is right about something. The 4.0 activation process changed slightly from when the 3.0 Upgrade full installers were released. Shock Force 2 put the activation utility back on the desktop (the other titles it is in the game's main directory) and I hope that, going forward, it always defaults to the desktop during installation.

Redwolf

#76
Quote from: Elvis on June 12, 2019, 12:27:58 PM
3) Use the Activate Modules desktop shortcut and enter your module and Packs keys to "unlock" their content.

[edited]

Same problem. It only asks for the CMBN key (which it already had) and does not ask for British or CMMG.

The problem might be that the modules have already been activated all along. They are active when I only have v212. That might be why the idiot installed doesn't leave shortcuts.

Redwolf

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 12, 2019, 10:52:32 AM
Quote from: Redwolf on June 12, 2019, 10:37:15 AM
There are no script to activate anything in the resulting directory.

As I mentioned, there is a "activate CMMG" icon floating around my desktop, but using it tries to activate CMBN, not CMMG.

I have a shortcut named 'activate modules' in my main directory pointing to this : C:\Software\Combat Mission Battle for Normandy\CM Normandy.exe" -showui

If I remember correctly you need to activate CMBN v3 before you can activate other modules.

3.x is activated, I can play it just fine (without British and MG scenarios).

Pete Dero

Delete everything CMBN related.
Restart your PC to be sure.
Do what Elvis said :

1) Download and extract the CMBN Windows 3.12 Full Installer.zip file and run the set up exe
2) Launch the game and enter your 3.0 key. Close the game
3) Use the Activate Modules desktop shortcut and enter your module and Packs keys to "unlock" their content.
4) Play game

Redwolf

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 12, 2019, 12:57:24 PM
Delete everything CMBN related.
Restart your PC to be sure.
Do what Elvis said :

1) Download and extract the CMBN Windows 3.12 Full Installer.zip file and run the set up exe
2) Launch the game and enter your 3.0 key. Close the game
3) Use the Activate Modules desktop shortcut and enter your module and Packs keys to "unlock" their content.
4) Play game


I don't think that deleting and restarting does anything here. The licenses numbers are deliberately anchored in the system so that they continue after uninstall and file deletion.

In any case, I am on day 3, and I have started over from scratch after least 4 times.

Pete Dero


Sir Slash

Late to the party here but, what's happening when I try to startup and get a, "UI Not Found" message? It happens only for CMBN. CMFI and CMRT work just fine. I've tried moving the game around to different folders and drives but nothing. Any ideas?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Redwolf

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 12, 2019, 12:57:24 PM
Delete everything CMBN related.
Restart your PC to be sure.
Do what Elvis said :

1) Download and extract the CMBN Windows 3.12 Full Installer.zip file and run the set up exe
2) Launch the game and enter your 3.0 key. Close the game
3) Use the Activate Modules desktop shortcut and enter your module and Packs keys to "unlock" their content.
4) Play game


Did all that. Same result. "Activate Modules" only asks for the CMBN key, never for british or cmmg.

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for wasting my time. If things continue this way I'll never have time to play ever if the thing eventually works.

Again, the idiot things already has British and CMMG activated, so the screen never asks about it. But the 312 install still ignores the modules.

Redwolf

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 12, 2019, 01:38:10 PM
Late to the party here but, what's happening when I try to startup and get a, "UI Not Found" message? It happens only for CMBN. CMFI and CMRT work just fine. I've tried moving the game around to different folders and drives but nothing. Any ideas?

I have that when trying to use 1.x on Windows 10.

A Canadian Cat

Quote from: RyanE on June 12, 2019, 06:58:52 AM
I come back to this again.  For people whose major social engagement is BFC forums, it seems easy.  Its not.   Its not well documented.  It changes. 
I totally get that. You are right there is a documentation shortage.

I was referring to the fact that a couple of people explained the updated way a few posts back form someone describing going down the wrong path again. Which mean they didn't even read the thread. Us types who live for CM *do* get the ever changing landscape. Many of us just want to help which is why we offer a description of the latest install process.
The pain free way to get up and running was literally two and three posts back just so everyone can read and have a pain free experience.

A Canadian Cat

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 12, 2019, 01:38:10 PM
Late to the party here but, what's happening when I try to startup and get a, "UI Not Found" message? It happens only for CMBN. CMFI and CMRT work just fine. I've tried moving the game around to different folders and drives but nothing. Any ideas?
Yes, a windows OS update pooched an early version of the game. It has been a long time but I think they patched it - try the latest patch. If not it is possible you might have to update to a newer engine version. If the patch doesn't work then contact support and they can get you pointed in the right direction.
https://www.battlefront.com/patches
https://battlefront.mojohelpdesk.com/

A Canadian Cat

Quote from: Redwolf on June 12, 2019, 01:38:57 PM
Did all that. Same result. "Activate Modules" only asks for the CMBN key, never for british or cmmg.
The activate modules short cut should just generically ask you to enter your software key. If it specifically asks for the CMBN key just ignore that and give it your module keys. One at a time.
For installs of upgrades you need to provide the original game key and the upgrade key and each module key (if there are any disabled). Opening a support ticket should be the go to next step even us experienced users don't really have any way to fix licensing issues.


Quote from: Redwolf on June 12, 2019, 01:38:57 PMI want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for wasting my time.
You are welcome.  :smitten:

A Canadian Cat

Quote from: ArizonaTank on June 12, 2019, 10:47:58 AMSorry, bristling a little bit when you say  :tickedoff: : "I don't know why people insist on making this hard" 
I hear ya. It is no fun having trouble getting the game to be started.

To be clear I was *not* referring to any one having trouble. I *was* referring to a specific someone who asked a question; was given at least two explanations of how to get what they wanted in a pain free way and then who proceeded to not read said answers and keep going down the pain stick rabbit hole. To me that is "insisting on making this hard".

A Canadian Cat

Quote from: Redwolf on June 12, 2019, 07:56:32 AMI would normally say that this isn't the software stone age. But offhand I cannot remember any other company in the actual software stone age doing this.
Sigh - I cannot disagree with that. I have brought it up before and I will again. The state of the art for downloadable installs is a single .exe that just does the install job. No, un packing, no making sure you do it right, no second step, no "not compatible with old command lines tools" none of that crap.
Like I said sigh.

Rayfer

Why does it seem like every thread about a Combat Mission game quickly devolves into chaos?  :-\