Introducing TASK FORCE ADMIRAL Vol.1: American Carrier Battles

Started by The_Admiral, October 11, 2019, 12:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Admiral

Thank you boys  :notworthy:
On our end things have been a little calm lately because we're focusing on mechanics under the hood - and because yours truly is an unworthy worm who makes other people sweat but seemingly never finds time of his own to make videos and screenshots  :pullhair:

I will post something over the weekend hopefully. Gotta make things right.
In the meantime, please quench your thirst with Sea Power, they are a worthy distraction  :))

The_Admiral

Playing around a bit with torpedoes in preparation for the final devblog video   :coolsmiley:

IronX

Looks great!

Is the speed currently accurate? They appear to be moving quite fast.

The_Admiral

Thanks!

Speed will depend on the torp and as such is a value that is tweakable. Not sure what the setting was here, but the IJN Type 91 was rated at 42 knots - that's 48 MPH or 78km/h. At its shortest range setting (which was still 9 clicks...!) sub-launched Type 95 was rated at 90+ km/h. So was the Long Lance itself at its shortest range setting (that is... 22km!). If you check them from up-close with the right focal, they sure will look fast.

The US air-launched Mk13, on the other hand, was known for being slower than a cruiser or a carrier at flank speed, which was a bit of a problem indeed - especially early on with a vulnerable platform and terrible launch parameters...

IronX

I see what you mean. It's probably just the angle we're looking at. Those IJN torpedoes certainly were fast!

The_Admiral

It's past Midnight on this side of the Earth...

Merry Christmas to all the Ladies and Gentlemen roaming these lands :)
And best wishes to you and all those you care about.

Cheers

The DDG Team

rocketman

Is that the Eight DeerPower-engined Mk IV. Santa Sleigh taking off?

Merry X-mas to you all as well  <:-)

The_Admiral

A romantic take on the Akagi GIF we sent earlier - now with sound and proper metal reflections :)

By the way, a thought for all servicemen and merchantmen who will spend the New Year at sea - take care and be safe  :notworthy:

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

rocketman

Better than much CGI seen in high budget movies. I tend to think that you guys can't surprise me any more and yet you still do with every new video  :clap:

The_Admiral

Thank you guys!
Nah, there's nothing really outstanding in there - I praise the original quality of the sound recording.
The gent who made that sure had a great sound capture system - and (completely OT, but well) he is an outstanding video artist by the way, check this:

Right now environmentals are basic in the way they are included to the game, nothing fancy. We need to work on the distance & all to make sure it sounds about right at any height, any distance. But it's a first step ;)

Strela

Amazing cinematography and sound! You seem to be finding the crème de la crème to collaborate with!

i have been to Tokyo many times and the video artist captured it perfectly - its a fantastic destination city within a unique culture...!

David

The_Admiral

Ah well, I sent him a mail a few days ago to keep him updated about what we're doing with his sounds, hopefully I will hear from him soon enough  :P
He lets people have complete free use of his sounds, but I guess he's entitled to know where these end up  :coolsmiley:

At any rate, in the name of the team, and to all of you Ladies, Gentlemen & everyone/everything else,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

hellfish6

I'm eagery looking forward to this - thanks for taking on a project of this scale and making the effort to do it justice. I note that you mentioned making the game scalable for future development, and I'd like to second this effort. My dream navy game will let me look out from the bridge of the USS Washington off Savo Island and/or commanding a modest Hunter-Killer group in the Atlantic. I don't need to command the ships personally (though it'd be fun), but just to have a camera view from the bridge or conning tower would be pretty amazing. I look forward to your game very much.

The_Admiral

Thank you for the kind words Hellfish! We will do our best to make 2020 a good year for you - and us  :peace: :notworthy:

We posted a New Year update on the website. Don't hesitate to come have a look :

https://drydockdreams.games/2020/01/01/new-years-resolutions/

Not a lot of new stuff for those who have been closely following this topic - for the others, it's arguably always quite better than nothing ^^