Introducing TASK FORCE ADMIRAL Vol.1: American Carrier Battles

Started by The_Admiral, October 11, 2019, 12:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Man alive, that's a big, beautiful ship.

That's what a warship is supposed to look like, not that fancy pants sci-fi crap we have now!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GroggyGrognard

"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

The_Admiral

Happy to know there are still people of taste out there with an appreciation for them fine curves  :coolsmiley:

Today something different - some sort of micro VFX breakdown, where you get to see the team hard at work on the shadows & the lighting. We gotta prepare a few screenshots & video reels for a big announcement, so better make the most of it  ^-^
Here's the Akagi fighter unit flying low over its homebase. You see the "naked" phase, the "material" phase & the "reflection" phase - and the final result. I can assure you it looks even better in motion  :notworthy:

Say hi to the First Air Fleet  :knuppel2:

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MOS:96B2P

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Old TImer

The_Admiral

Thank you boys!   ;)
Here, as our recording session for the teaser continues, a lot of content has to be cut - it would be a shame not to share a few highlights, wouldn't it  :coolsmiley:
I can't tell you, it's waaay better in motion. But I am pretty proud of our VFX for the flak I must say  ^-^
Cheers and enjoy the PTO pr0n  >:D

Staggerwing

I've often wondered what the reason was that the dive brakes on SBDs were painted red inside. Was it to warn others friendlies following behind that the plane's airspeed would be dropping off quickly and not to run into it or not to fly past below it and hit any releasing ordinance?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

The_Admiral

Good question - no idea. I am not sure I've ever seen a reason mentioned in the documents I have. I might investigate  :coolsmiley:

Tripoli

My uneducated guess is that it was for collision avoidance in a dive.  A squadron in a dive had aircraft separated by only 100-150 yards.  The blue SBD in front for the squadron would blend in with the blue sea below, making it more difficult to establish its position/range, especially with AA fire and the miscellaneous other distractions that is typical of combat operations.   Additionally, the pilots would be concentrating on aiming their aircraft, and would be relying on peripheral vision for situational awareness of the proximity of nearby aircraft  The red dive brakes would stand out more in this situation, assisting the trailing pilots in avoiding the aircraft in front.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

The_Admiral

Aye, seems logical indeed!  :notworthy:
Although I don't know if white painted planes would receive the same treatment - but well I guess white, black or whatever would blend in the ocean all the same. You both gentlemen probably nailed it, as a rear light system for the guy behind (although as Tripoli says it's more of a positioning/range thing probably, when it comes to ordinance they usually have a good idea of who dived before them)

You shouldn't be worried to be hit by release ordnance, the fuse and altitude somewhat preclude this. It's no "Midway"  ;)

The_Admiral

Hey kid.

Want some awesomeness?

(give it time to load and loop, it's a rather chunky baby...)

Some little bugs left & right, but we're getting there. Obviously it's nothing like what should happen IRL - but hey, it's for the teaser - on n'attrape pas les mouches avec du miel if you will pardon my french ;)