40Cent @ the movies

Started by Centurion40, February 10, 2012, 09:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Doesn't matter if it's dead or alive. What matters is if it weighs the same as wood.

MetalDog

Saw Black Mass today.  It's standard mob movie fare.  Bad guy is a violent psycho who kills anyone who crosses him while climbing to the top of the heap.  Eventually, the Feds come down on him and his organization and confederates.  Mob boss runs away.  12 years later, he is caught.  The end.  Not worth the $16.75 I paid for the ticket, soda and peanut M&M's (the drink and candy were $9.50?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!), but, if you have time to kill, and you like the genre, by all means, drop the dough on it.

23/40
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

DoctorQuest

I am SHOCKED. SHOCKED I say. This was supposed to be the GOOD Johnny Depp movie.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

MetalDog

Depp was good in character.  However, it just felt like he was playing a one note song the whole time.  No deviating from the, "violent psycho who should be feared," path.

Staggerwing

Maybe that was the point of Depp's take on the role. The real Whitey Bulger did't have much to redeem him either.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

Just read a statement from Bulger's lawyer.  It was basically, 'That doesn't portray Whitey in any way shape or form.'  Bulger also refused to speak to Depp for the role.  And one of the enforcers, Kevin Weekes, also said something to the effect of, 'Whitey never swore at me.  And we didn't yell.'  Of course, they have reasons to say those things, but, I'm sure there's some truth to it.

mirth

Whitey was a murdering psychopath. There's not much else in the way of nuance to bring to portrayal of him.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

Quote from: MetalDog on September 20, 2015, 08:20:46 AM
Depp was good in character.  However, it just felt like he was playing a one note song the whole time.  No deviating from the, "violent psycho who should be feared," path.

I've just never been a been Deep fan. After watching Vincent D'Onofrio as Kingpin in Daredevil I would want to see some real depth in the portrayal of a bad guy. Thanks for your take on the film, MD. Sounds like it might be a renter but I'll save my theater dollars for something else.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

mirth

Watched Black Mass last night. Great cast, well acted, but kinda 'meh'. It also skipped over some details about Bulger's rise and career, but you'll only notice if you know something about his history. Depp was amazing, but he brought too much charisma and likeability to a man who was a vicious, murdering thug.

It's worth seeing, though maybe not in a theater. I went with a couple of friends, so it made for a decent night out.

7.5/10.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Interesting Reddit AMA with Howie Carr, who has written extensively on Whitey Bulger and the Boston mob world.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3n8auc/james_whitey_bulger_tried_to_murder_me_i_am_howie/

Emeraldlis

I went to see Everest at the movies last week ....I think , I'm losing track of the days  :uglystupid2:

It was slow to get into , the story builds slowly . The scenery as you would expect is epic in scope and truly awe inspiring  . It's mentioned in the film that the height of Everest is the same as the cruising altitude of a Boeing 747 !!  I've been looking at planes flying overhead in a whole new way since seeing the movie , I can't imagine climbing that high .... :o

It's based on a true story , the basic premise is that now you can climb Everest as a tourist , with different tour company's that have set up to make mega bucks out of climbing enthusiasts . As you would expect things start to go wrong , a massive storm blows in and from then on in its "man vs mountain " ......which will win out ?

I thought jake gyllenhall ( I hope I got his last name right  :D ) well he did a really bad job with the character he played , he just annoyed me the whole way through , which is a shame because the guy he played deserved a better portrayal I thought . On the other hand josh brolin  was outstanding , I was rooting for him the whole way through . Kiera knightly played a really good part and she pulled off a very convincing New Zealand accent .

By the end of the movie there wasn't a dry eye in the cinema , and there was mostly guys there watching this ....I would defy anyone of  you guys not to shed a manly tear or two towards the end  ;)

I definately recommend this film and it should definately be seen in the cinema to appreciate the scale of Everest and nepal in general . I thoroughly enjoyed it and felt my money was well spent on this .
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

Windigo

Saw The Martian. Was a ripping good yarn. Not sure 3D is worth it Good characters, great story.

34 cents out of 40.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

BanzaiCat

Huw the Poo

Just saw Horns.  For the first 90 minutes I was thinking that this was a much better film than I was expecting (I only watched it because the eminently fuckable Juno Temple stars).  But then the third act happened, and oh my god it was shoddy.  Very poorly done in my opinion...slapdash, nonsensical and riding roughshod over all the sentiment that had been carefully built up in the preceding 90 minutes.  Not to mention the overt Christian propaganda; always irritating in any film.  Bah.  Oh well, one to chalk up to experience.

First time I've ever seen Daniel Radcliffe properly act, mind!

mirth

So my 7 year old was quite insistent I buy Jurassic World on DVD for him. Apparently his school buddies have all seen it and have told him all about it.

I caved in picked it up for him yesterday. He's already watched it 3 times and now quotes it incessantly. Clearly they knew who they were target audience was and it wasn't me.