40Cent @ the movies

Started by Centurion40, February 10, 2012, 09:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Quote from: Windigo on December 22, 2015, 01:07:36 PM
The last time I was into dating, whether or not the woman liked Princess bride was one of my evaluation questions
Same.  :) 

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 22, 2015, 03:39:12 PM
I've never seen it in its entirety.  Just bits and pieces here and there. 
SDR, I weep for you. 

However, I think the OCD nature of gaming nerds means that I've had pretty much the whole script repeatedly quoted to me since the film's release.
I can believe that easily.  ;D 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

I've never seen it in its entirety.  Just bits and pieces here and there.  However, I think the OCD nature of gaming nerds means that I've had pretty much the whole script repeatedly quoted to me since the film's release.

INCONCEIVAwait, sorry, I've done that joke already.  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

^  It had to be done, though.  :D 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Windigo

Saw three really good movies of note over the holidays on Netflix;
Nightcrawler - very atmospheric and creepy in a non-horror way. Great acting by the catcher from Brokeback Mountain. 34/40
Meet the Millers -laughed my ass off at this one. Schmaltzy and very funny... and even though I don't like Jennifer Aniston she was great in this one. For what it is, script and direction were top notch. 32/40
Elysium - predictable dystopian sci-fi thriller, but very well acted and directed. Matt Damon continues to be a solid actor. 32/40

and as bonus, best of the bunch - Kingsman: The Secret Service - a wickedly good action/adventure/comedy spy thriller. Samuel Jackson et.al. are on top of their acting game, the story line is fun and action packed. Seriously witty and you can identify easily with the characters. A top-shelf movie. 37/40

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Martok

Quote from: Windigo on January 04, 2016, 04:50:41 PM
and as bonus, best of the bunch - Kingsman: The Secret Service - a wickedly good action/adventure/comedy spy thriller. Samuel Jackson et.al. are on top of their acting game, the story line is fun and action packed. Seriously witty and you can identify easily with the characters. A top-shelf movie. 37/40
I really want to sit down and watch this one.  It's been on my list since I first the trailers for it. 

Windigo

Quote from: Martok on January 05, 2016, 06:43:25 AM
Quote from: Windigo on January 04, 2016, 04:50:41 PM
I really want to sit down and watch this one.  It's been on my list since I first the trailers for it.
Watch it... yesterday is too late.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

undercovergeek

watched it yesterday, i can honestly say one of the last shots in the film is truly spectacular

BanzaiCat

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 05, 2016, 04:30:10 PM
watched it yesterday, i can honestly say one of the last shots in the film is truly spectacular

Yeah, that shot was a little...well, there was a crack in its logic, let's just say. It kind of just suddenly reared itself up.

Huw the Poo

Finally saw Spectre.  Wow.  How bitterly, horribly, embarrassingly disappointing. :(

undercovergeek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 28, 2016, 05:20:10 PM
Finally saw Spectre.  Wow.  How bitterly, horribly, embarrassingly disappointing. :(

now, im not going to accuse you of such nefarious doings my old friend but what seems to have happened when the film came out was a weird gushing of over hyped praise for the film, and now it seems trendy, hipster if you will to kick the film in the goolies - i wasnt overly impressed so was never in the gushing crowd but i have seen a lot of negativity towards the film now that critics think their embarassing overexuberance has been forgotten

Huw the Poo

Heh, well, since I knew I'd be buying it on release I stayed away from any and all coverage, including critical reception.  All I'd heard was what my colleagues in work had said (they all praised it and they're all going to get a bollocking today).  I fully expected it to be brilliant, which is why I was so disappointed. :(

I genuinely think it's worse than Quantum of Solace.

BanzaiCat

Huw, I applaud you for getting through the entire thing.

I've tried three times and I can't get but maybe ten minutes past the acid trip intro with the horrible music. The Honest Trailer for Spectre is pretty much dead on. The opening action sequence is decent enough, but it's standard Bond fare so it's nothing special or amazing. The rest of the movie seems boring as shite.

Huw the Poo

I'll have to watch that honest trailer.

Boring is the right word.  Hubris also springs to mind.  I didn't even like Craig in this one; I get that he's always portrayed Bond as being closer to a cold killer than anyone else has, but he took the piss in Spectre with empty dialogue and no character or charm.

Spectre sucked, and I'm pissed off about it.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Huw the Poo

The new hotness in horror is The Witch.  It opened last night and I went to see it with some friends.  It was very, very good - but there's a caveat: it isn't what some people think of as a "standard" horror film, and has been unfairly attracting criticism from some quarters as a result.  Some people expect jump scares and rivers of blood in horror films, and The Witch has neither.  Instead it is a painstakingly researched, beautifully shot period piece which is genuinely unsettling and downright horrific in places.  The mood throughout the film is menacing and paranoid.  Within the first fifteen minutes it goes somewhere few films dare to go.

I won't say any more, except this: if you like genuine horror films and don't need jump scares to be entertained, go see it.  It's a work of art.