Old World from Soren Johnson

Started by RedArgo, April 14, 2020, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^Angry Badger sounds a little too high...that's angry!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

I am officially calling the final tutorial a stalemate. I may restart it to see where I went wrong or I may dive in to a brand new game. In the meantime while slogging through it I converted ancient Greece to Judaism  :bd:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

...and literally the very next turn the AI founded Christianity  :dreamer:

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Watching this tutorial I think I have found what I was doing wrong in Greece vs. Rome...I thought I was going to have to take every tile around a city (hamlets, farms, etc.) when I really just had to take the one central urban tile, and wasted so many resources in doing so that I just exhausted Greece into a stalemate. I also did not take civics boosts when I had the chance. Now I'm tempted to try it one more time.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Yes lots of nuances to the game as has been said .

You can do Gus.....I have faith !

I now have a real cliffhanger on my hands as with 16 turns to go I need 7 more VP's to win by reaching 58 points but the Persians are coming up fast on the rails with just 1 point less than my Egyptians. I have a couple of Wnders building and have reached the end of the tech tree in a couple of places all of which  should accrue me points but only one more city is due to upgrade in tine so I may fall short...I thought I had an Ambition sorted to have peace with every faction but just as the Vandals were about the be the final piece of the jigsaw in a diplomatic initiative by my Ambassador,  the Egyptian King died...his heir is a stroppy cow who the Ronans hate so they abandoned their Peace agreement  ! :pullhair:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

devoncop

I got the win !

Score victory on turn 195 out of 200 :)

The statistics tab on the victory screen is well worth looking at later. It not only shows you where you are ranked in various categories but also exactly how all the others have done (I was 4th on military units created....Rome had created 164 to my 64 but Rome had lost 130 in its perennialnwars with the Babylonian/Persian alliance).

The moral of the story is you can play a diplomatic game and win but if you can sweep up some cities from the weakest AI nation at some point it helps a lot with VP's as those cities can then develop.

Advice for a first game is play on " The  Good" level but set AI to just the one starting city but increase its aggressiveness to "normal".

EDIT:

New game is on the Good level again but this time as as Carthage with normal  rather than passive AI aggression but playing on the Old World full map v all other AI.....

Geezer

Congrats!  I'm still working through the tutorials and should have them done by now but RL keeps getting in the way.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

devoncop

Quote from: Geezer on May 28, 2022, 06:16:28 AM
Congrats!  I'm still working through the tutorials and should have them done by now but RL keeps getting in the way.

Real life is overrated  ;)

Gusington

Well done! Is this a specific type of victory or all-around points victory? Sounds like the latter.

I am going to start the final tutorial later today. May be cheating since I have studied up so much on it but hey whateva...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on May 28, 2022, 11:07:48 AM
Well done! Is this a specific type of victory or all-around points victory? Sounds like the latter.

I am going to start the final tutorial later today. May be cheating since I have studied up so much on it but hey whateva...

Yeah points victory...I got to 58 points which all the factions were aiming for. I had 8/10 ambitions done but missed out on a few.

Gusington

^Nice. I hope to get to the meat of the game later today  :nerd:

I am thinking of trying out either the Hittites or Assyrians in my first game...civs I never really have had an interest in...before trying out the others like Persia, Carthage, etc...that I have a very deep interest in.

Is there a roadmap available anywhere of where Old World is headed? Very curious about future development. It definitely seems to be a hit and loved by most.

This vid, same YouTuber as I posted above, shows how to properly take cities in Old World for anyone who needs *ahem* assistance...like me.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Be interested in how you get on as the Hittites or Assyrians...

I am starting my Carthage playthrough tomorrow morning but have been considering doing the "Rise of Carthage" Campaign instead as they play very differently to other factions, being able to buy up and recruit tribesmen in large numbers but only being able to put Generals on them if those Generals have some of the same tribe bloodline. In the Campaign I am hoping that the specific Carthaginian mechanics may be walked through a bit . The tribal recruits only have 2/3 of the standard movement though so are less useful for quick strikes.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk