Main Menu

Sengoku Themed Games?

Started by Giappy, April 30, 2020, 09:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Giappy

I was curious what people's opinions were for the best Sengoku games?  I have enjoyed the limited time I have plsyed Nobunaga's Ambition, but have not tried Total War Shogun or others. 

I'm reading a book on the unification of Japan and am getting the itch... although with kids it might be 5 years before I can play much...  Thanks!

Jarhead0331

#1
https://www.slitherine.com/game/sengoku-jidai-shadow-of-the-shogun

Really depends on the level of complexity and scale you're looking for. I enjoyed this one quite a bit and it's pretty light so you can jump in and play a few rounds while the kids are napping.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Anguille

I fully agree with Jarhead, Sengoku Jidai is a great game.

May i ask why you haven't played more time with Nobunaga's Ambition?

I have a sweet spot for an old game, Takeda 3, from 2009. What i liked most is that every castle in the game is different so i really liked to conquer every one of them myself. Beware, the graphics were already old then. The major difference to Total War games is that the battles take only a few minutes.
It's on sale right now:
https://www.gamersgate.com/DD-TAKEDA3/takeda-3

I also think that the first Shogun Total War, with it's board game strategic map is better suited for people with limited time (i also have kids).

Dammit Carl!

Can always opt for the game Sengoku and live your best Crusader Kings' kinda life, but in Japan!

Gusington

Shogun 2 is beautiful with a cutthroat AI. You can play one turn at a time if you want to.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Giappy

Thank you, everyone, for replying:

@Jarhead0331:

  • Sengoku Jipai looks good; thanks!

@Anguille

  • I played Nobunaga's Ambition (Iron Triangle) probably 12 or 13 years ago on the Playstation 3.  I basically did the tutorials and did some playing, but for some reason got sidetracked.  I really enjoyed what I did play.
  • I have Sphere of Influence, and sometimes I load it up just to admire the map (great map!), but I have yet to delve into it. This is my top "to play" game when (if) things lighten up, unless another Sengoku game looks more interesting
  • Thank you for mentioning Takeda 3 (and the link)!  It looks really interesting.
  • I enjoyed TW (1? it was Great Britain, maybe 16 years ago?) and Empire...I haven't tried Shogun 1 and 2 (but see below).

@Dammit Carl!

  • For some reason I couldn't get into Crusader Kings...I only played the first one, but it sounds like the second one is better.  I will look at Sengoku. Thanks!

@Gusington

  • TW Shogun 2 is free today on Steam!  It's in my Steam account now.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

I think we have mentionned all the available games on the subject!

Gusington

Shadow Tactics takes place in the Edo period of Japanese history. I haven't played every mission, only 3 or 4, so I can't say if any of the missions take place during the Sengoku Jidai or not. Might be one or two other stealth or FPS games that also take place during or around the same time.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Giappy

Quote from: Gusington on May 01, 2020, 03:07:53 PM
Shadow Tactics takes place in the Edo period of Japanese history. I haven't played every mission, only 3 or 4, so I can't say if any of the missions take place during the Sengoku Jidai or not. Might be one or two other stealth or FPS games that also take place during or around the same time.

I was thinking strategy games, however this game looks really cool.  I had not heard of it .  I enjoyed "Commandos" a while back, and this sounds a little similar.

I always thought I did a decent job following gaming news/game releases, but I guess I don't.

I read online reviews (Gamespot, Subsim, Wargamer, etc) but it's crazy how many games I miss (even older ones, like Takega mentioned above).

It feels like there are lots of games released all the time...before the internet was big I sort of had the illusion that I was up on things (i.e. via a magazine like Strategy Plus or CGW or PC Gamer)...however now when I look at the Steam store I realize I'm pretty out-of-touch.

I guess it makes community forums (like this one) all the more important.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

Quote from: Gusington on May 01, 2020, 10:06:22 PM
It's a Gaming Golden Age!

It really is in a lot of respects. Digital distribution is a major boon to niche projects.
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

Definitely. Thinking about the changes in gaming I have seen since I started as a kid (1985) and now it is just mind bending,
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

I really wish Pdox would do a proper Sengoku 2, based on CK2/CK3 gameplay.  The original looked great and was a promising start, but was far too thin on content.

Highly recommend jumping into TW Shogun 2.  One of the best Total Wars out there.  Although I tend to at least use a mod that slows down the real-time unit speeds a bit.  Possibly one that slows down the Realm Divide campaign mechanic, or whatever it's called, to relax the soft time limit on the campaign and provide a longer & more laid back go.  TW Shogun 2 is probably my favorite go-to.

Nobunaga's Ambition: SOI was enjoyable when I played it, although the battles weren't.  Fortunately the battles can be auto-resolved so not a big deal.  I recall running into problems finding enough Lieutenants to run all my provinces and do projects after expanding a bit, however.  Perhaps there was a game setting I didn't adjust to provide more.

Sengoku Jidai is a great game focusing on turn-based battles, but also has a relatively simple campaign layer.  Recommend as others have.