Total War: Troy - FREE to claim on Epic Games for first 24 hours after release

Started by al_infierno, August 11, 2020, 01:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

There's a write-up about the game over at the Wargamer and they don't seem too excited about it either.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mbar

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

My first impression is generally good.

After a few turns, I definitely like the new resource system.  It makes the choice of buildings and units more difficult yet separate, at least early on, since the more obvious choices are also limited by the less plentiful resources (stone and bronze).  Units also require upkeep of the same.  So should, hopefully, limit how many of the better units you can field while still encouraging you to fill out the rest with lighter ones which only require Food.  Really hope means the AI armies will also have a mix, although past AI army builds in TW have been wonky as hell.  Perhaps they had to adjust it due to the new system.

Don't have much opinion on the battles yet.  The battle terrain is an improvement, and more interesting.  The speed of units is like that of Three Kingdoms, which I wasn't crazy about, but I'll just pause when it gets too twitchy.  One thing I've hoped for in all TWs is more, perhaps soft, limits on army sizes in battles.  TW needs some kind of Command Limit mechanic or soft-cap penalties for reducing micro-management hell in multi-army battles.  I've not gone far enough in Troy to see if that happens, per usual, in the later game but I expect it like all the others.

The religious system looks like it will be pretty powerful.  Choose your favored God(s) wisely and build to keep up the Favor.

The Units aren't anything unusual in TW but the aesthetic of them, the UI, and the game in general is rather sexy.  It's growing on me.  Like hair or a fungus.

I mean.. its FREE.  I half expected it to be a failure, but thus far the new additions have been a plus.  Will see how it holds up in the late stages of a campaign.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

WYBaugh

Yeah I'm a game ho.  I gave in with Borderlands 3 came out (I couldn't wait until release on steam) so I've been collecting all of the epic free games.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on August 13, 2020, 11:54:27 AM

I mean.. its FREE.  I half expected it to be a failure, but thus far the new additions have been a plus.  Will see how it holds up in the late stages of a campaign.

Seriously, even with them giving it away for free...there are still people who will find a way to complain about TW.  :buck2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I've been trying to snag a copy but the servers have been jammed all morning.

W8taminute

Not really interested in anything Total War these days as I'm just burnt out with their stuff.  But if EPIC ever does offer something like Grand Tactician or Gary Grisby's War in the West/East for free then I might join. 

Otherwise I'm just too lazy to put energy into signing up for another game site.  Those of you who use EPIC I offer this challenge: convince a lazy, tired, old man to go through the effort.   8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: W8taminute on August 13, 2020, 02:15:35 PM
Not really interested in anything Total War these days as I'm just burnt out with their stuff.  But if EPIC ever does offer something like Grand Tactician or Gary Grisby's War in the West/East for free then I might join. 

Otherwise I'm just too lazy to put energy into signing up for another game site.  Those of you who use EPIC I offer this challenge: convince a lazy, tired, old man to go through the effort.   8)

Let's put it this way, you could have signed up for an account and downloaded/installed the client in roughly the same amount of time it took you to ask the question and say your lazy:)

Silent Disapproval Robot

W8taminute

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 13, 2020, 02:20:01 PM

Let's put it this way, you could have signed up for an account and downloaded/installed the client in roughly the same amount of time it took you to ask the question and say your lazy:)

Ah but writing a post on a forum I've been going to for years is easy.  I've already put the energy into figuring out how to do that years ago.  It is I guess challenging to burn brain cells trying to figure out a new system when so few brain cells remain after years of drinking.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Jarhead0331

I'll give you 51 reasons. The list of games I have obtained through Epic for FREE:

Aztez
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Carcassonne
Borderlands 3
Observer
Total War Saga: TROY
AER memories of Old
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
ARK: Survival Evolved
Assassins Creed Syndicate
Bad North Jotunn Edition
Barony
Borderlands 2
Borderlands: The Pre-sequel
Crashlands
Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition
Darksiders Warmastered Edition
Death Coming
Everything
Faeria
Farming Simulator 19
For the King
Grand Theft Auto V
Horace
InnerSpace
Into the Breach
Jotun Valhalla Edition
Just Cause 4
Killing Floor 2
Lifeless Planet: Premium Edition
Metro 2022 Redux
Nuclear Throne
Offworld Trading Company
Pathway
Remnant: From the Ashes
Ruiner
Samurai Showdown
Civilization VI
Squad
Steep
Stranger Things 3
Sundered Eldritch Edition
Superbrothers
Tacoma
The Alto Collection
The Escapists 2
The Wold Among Us
Torchlight II
Tormentor X Punisher
Totally Accurate Battle Simulator
Watch Dogs
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

W8taminute