Distant Worlds 2 Formal Announcement

Started by Jarhead0331, January 26, 2021, 09:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

solops

#150
Anyone else disappointed with the changes to ship design? The old system was not perfect, but heck. I am not sure I would recommend DW2 in its current form. DW1 is still great. I have to admit, I never had much of a problem with the DW1 UI.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.

fran

It is good that it sounds like a positive release. Not a first day buy for me, but maybe on the sales.

Ian C


SirAndrewD

Yeah, I'm going to need to take some time on this one. 

Not sure if I got the RNG gods mad, but my first run was starting to get somewhere, building mining bases in my home system and I even had my first military ships, and then....boom, four pirate factions popped up with massive starfleets demanding more money than I had for "protection" from the others. 

Pretty quick end from there.  I guess pirates are a real terror. 

Going to stay at it though.  This looks pretty deep and potentially rewarding if you get things going.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

bobarossa

I'd suggest turning them down or off for first couple games.  I turned them down but still got two pirates in succession just as I researched frigates.

W8taminute

Yeah I turned off pirates and space monsters in the game I started. 
I like to just concentrate on empire building without the added stress of pirates and monsters. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

SirAndrewD

Yeah, next start will be with them reduced, then off if it's bad again.   

I guess I underestimated the Pirate concept.  I thought they'd be a nuisance and a way to get my first combat experience, not facing down the Borg.   :arr:
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

bobarossa

My early comments.
- the pre-warp start leaves you the ability to scan/mine your home planet's vicinity (asteroids and moon).  I might have been able to reach it's Mars equivalent when it was close.
- your first warp drive gives you the ability to scan the whole system but beware trying to do two outer planets in one try.  Your fuel will run out and I can't find any way to make a tanker
- I think it's your second warp drive advancement that lets you reach neighboring systems.  I didn't get to find out as I had multiple pirates arrive right after discovery and decided to restart.
- don't see much benefit to the 3D models as it's still a flat system/galaxy.  Just seems to boost GPU usage (81% GPU on my NVIDA 1660 super overclock). CPU usage is low.
- need to find out how to manage those popups!!!!   The pirate warnings were buried under a bunch of useless crap (advisor messages, yet more scientists, etc). 

Jarhead0331

I've found that starting a game in the pre-warp era or even the early warp era leaves very little to do in the early game and I've found it to be exceptionally boring overall. I either need to speed up research in the game creation options or just start with this technology already unlocked.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


devoncop

#159
Still playing my first game and its going well.

Paid off 2 of the first 3 pirate factions and have managed through gifts and accepting minor trades to get non aggression with one of them and a military refuelling treaty with another both of which cancel the payments I was making. Repaired a bad ass Cruiser which is now the pride of my First Fleet and trying to win over the Ackdarian indy colony I have come across but being the Cat Folk this is not easy.

Some minor victories in space battles so far but nothing major but I enjoy seeing them play out. My top notch shields are a huge help.

Just a Human Empire visible to me so far and they are surly bastards so I can see issues ahead :-)

By no means on top of everything and STILL can't find any bloody Silicon sources but I am having a hoot.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Tripoli

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Millipede

Quote from: Con on March 11, 2022, 10:08:06 AM
Its been years since I played DW1 - Any suggestions where to start?
These four guys are all DW aficionados with tons of experience. They were beta testers for DW2 and received the release version a few days prior to release for the rest of us. They successfully got me into DWU and so far, so good with DW2. Check 'em out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOs9jzjQ6uc

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSgMOSrhbsUZDxrueQihlZFJeV6PgiFYk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeXicFqtQvo

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzEZx9zuF9_4A73QcBvN5hvdce2f2EM8s

W8taminute

Quote from: SirAndrewD on March 11, 2022, 02:48:58 PM
Yeah, next start will be with them reduced, then off if it's bad again.   

I guess I underestimated the Pirate concept.  I thought they'd be a nuisance and a way to get my first combat experience, not facing down the Borg.   :arr:

LOL!  Yeah I don't want to face the Borg.

Although playing with pre-warp techs at start may be boring at least it's giving me time to focus on reading all of the help text associated with the different screens.  Maybe next game I play I'll try early warp tech start.  We'll see.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

FarAway Sooner

Yeah.  Assuming it plays like the pre-Warp start in DWU, the pirates are OP at the beginning of the game.  They are much less likely to be able to keep pace with a growing star empire, but that doesn't mean that they won't seriously screw you at the start.

A good way to wrap your brain around the game is to set everything on full auto the first time you play and just watch.  Think of yourself more as a fan of that empire than as the Emperor!   <:-)

Jarhead0331

Pirates is really a misnomer in DW2 and I'm not sure why they held on to the title. They've been somewhat reworked in DW2 and rather than a band of listless renegades, they are more like independent spacefaring empires that can actually be beneficial to befriend through diplomacy. They can possess advanced technology that the colony/planet based Civilizations lack.  I gather they are a much more significant presence and force this time around.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18