Astartes is now working with games workshop - 40k stories coming

Started by Destraex, March 10, 2021, 04:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Destraex

Does everybody here remember astartes? The person that blew all of our minds with 40k videos that actually looked like we had all imagined the universe. Well for better or worse he is now working for games workshop! I hope this does not compromise hos hard hitting no bullshit approach. I look forward to hopefully seeing a movie. One that does 40k justice.


https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/03/10/introducing-the-next-wave-of-warhammer-animations/
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

SlagDog

That would be A M A Z I N G! <insert drooling emoji here>

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

Just looking at the page and there are a number of collaborations in progress. I hope this does not lead to what happened with their games.... huge variations in quality.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/03/10/introducing-the-next-wave-of-warhammer-animations/
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Geezer

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Jarhead0331

Yeah...I'm skeptical. Just seems like the majority of anything GW touches that crosses over from the table-top experience into digital media of some form or another turns to shit.

Hoping for the best though.  O0
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


hellfish6

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person left in the world who absolutely does not understand the appeal of Warhammer stuff. Even as a kid it just struck me as ridiculous. It's like death metal for wargamers. Looks ridiculous, tries to be hard core and end up just being a bunch of weirdos in makeup and skull-shaped accessories.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: hellfish6 on March 10, 2021, 07:32:58 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm the only person left in the world who absolutely does not understand the appeal of Warhammer stuff. Even as a kid it just struck me as ridiculous. It's like death metal for wargamers. Looks ridiculous, tries to be hard core and end up just being a bunch of weirdos in makeup and skull-shaped accessories.

Weirdo.  :idiot2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Destraex

 :2funny:
Yeah I am not a fan of the tabletop game but have never played it. I owned the epic version at one stage but never got around to playing it.
I am however a fan of the Dawn of War game series and some of the novels. I also did not mind final liberation the computer game.
I did not mind the movie ultramarine either.

The universe is cool but very dark. I don't think I could get too deep into it. It's pretty depressing even if you are a giant superhuman marine.

I can understand hellfish6 why you think it is ridiculous. The Orks make it a bit comical. But once you understand how they breed and what they do and how they came about it kinda comes into focus a little more.

Astartes videos actually made 40k look kinda legit like a lot of the art does. Some 40k art is spot on while especially the older stuff makes it comical and kiddy.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

It looks like they took the whole series off youtube and it is only available direct now. Hellfish take a look at astartes work. It's 12 minutes long:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/warhammer-animation-astartes/
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 10, 2021, 05:43:52 PM
Yeah...I'm skeptical. Just seems like the majority of anything GW touches that crosses over from the table-top experience into digital media of some form or another turns to shit.

Hoping for the best though.  O0

Amen.

-And, without looking at the linky bit about colabs, they'd better damn well have Dan Abnett involved in there somewhere.  That guy "gets," WH40K in my opinion.

Gusington

^From my admittedly limited selection of reading compared to others here, I have always enjoyed Abnett's WH40K books the most.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SlagDog

I owned the original Rogue Trader and enjoyed playing in college. I love the gritty dark future fluff. The books are like reading fun action movies - it's just stupid fun reads. But my real love is old Fantasy Warhammer. Now there was a great tabletop game. Me Ork Boyz rulld da gulackz! And they always won! Da Orks celebrate the games I won and the games that "I won" but don't talk about.  >:D

But then GW screwed it all with the apocalypse, or whatever the hell they called the destruction of a great game. What was GW thinking. Oh yeah $$$. <sigh>   

The weird thing for me is I loved fantasy WH but thought the fluff was meh and think the WH 40K is ok but love the fluff. Especially anything that Dan Abnett writes - he is a GENIUS author.

I'll always root for some quality 40K goodness!

al_infierno

Quote from: hellfish6 on March 10, 2021, 07:32:58 PM
It's like death metal for wargamers. Looks ridiculous, tries to be hard core and end up just being a bunch of weirdos in makeup and skull-shaped accessories.

To me, this is exactly the appeal of Warhammer 40K.   :2funny:
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

undercovergeek

Quote from: SlagDog on March 11, 2021, 01:50:02 PM
I owned the original Rogue Trader and enjoyed playing in college. I love the gritty dark future fluff. The books are like reading fun action movies - it's just stupid fun reads. But my real love is old Fantasy Warhammer. Now there was a great tabletop game. Me Ork Boyz rulld da gulackz! And they always won! Da Orks celebrate the games I won and the games that "I won" but don't talk about.  >:D

But then GW screwed it all with the apocalypse, or whatever the hell they called the destruction of a great game. What was GW thinking. Oh yeah $$$. <sigh>   

The weird thing for me is I loved fantasy WH but thought the fluff was meh and think the WH 40K is ok but love the fluff. Especially anything that Dan Abnett writes - he is a GENIUS author.

I'll always root for some quality 40K goodness!

You know they're redoing the old world this year/next year