Windows 11 leaked Windows 10 set to retire 2025

Started by Destraex, June 18, 2021, 08:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Destraex

Windows 10 was supposed to be the last version of windows. It appears that has changed with what many people seem to think is windows 11 leaked. Along with this leaked news we have an end date for windows 10 now. 10/14/2025 being the retirement date for windows 10.

June 24 is the date the new version of windows is set to be shown by Microsoft I believe.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro

https://lifehacker.com/dont-install-the-leaked-windows-11-build-1847115234

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

al_infierno

And after all that hoo-hah about "upgrade you bastards, it's the final Windows version we swear!!"  ::)
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

Phantom

"Last version of windows" sounds like "it will all be over by Christmas" to me.

Destraex

Yeah. I think the original plan would have been to keep updating windows while using advertising, subscriptions, xbox and other money making avenues to subsidise it. I also remember when windows was leaked with a 3D interface, that never came to fruition. Will be interesting to see how much more they screw the GUI. I hate windows 10 baby simple style that makes you dig for the real menus.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Redwolf

They can play with the GUI all they like. As long as the APIs stay stable and my games continue to run.

Or do they play to drop 32-bit support like Apple did? :)

Yskonyn

Well hold your horses. We don't know any upgrade facts yet. Perhaps its a free upgrade, who knows.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Anguille

Didn't expect this...i though we wouldn't to upgrade anymore... :pullhair:

al_infierno

Windows 11: Meet the new OS, same as the old OS (or close enough)

AKA sounds like the upgrade doesn't get you much...

https://www.theregister.com/2021/06/21/windows_11_column/
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

CapnKirk

Quote from: al_infierno on June 21, 2021, 04:52:16 PM
Windows 11: Meet the new OS, same as the old OS (or close enough)

I keep naively hoping that Windows 11 will be a significant change from 10, but I know that's more than likely a pipe dream.

Can we just bring back windows 7 with the the option to have a windows xp/classic looking gui?

solops

Quote from: CapnKirk on June 21, 2021, 10:51:06 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on June 21, 2021, 04:52:16 PM
Windows 11: Meet the new OS, same as the old OS (or close enough)

I keep naively hoping that Windows 11 will be a significant change from 10, but I know that's more than likely a pipe dream.

Can we just bring back windows 7 with the the option to have a windows xp/classic looking gui?
+1
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.

Yskonyn

See, no need to panic. You'll get a free upgrade from 10.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

One thing to be aware, right now Windows 11 seems to have a new requirement of having a TPM chip installed on your motherboard and enabled.  Many people are being told their computers are not compatible for the upgrade because of not having it or not enabled.  I ran the health check on my PC and I indeed have the same issue.  My computer is only a couple years old and at the time was considered pretty decent.  TPM has to do with using hardware for added security protection, which seems in the past was more applicable for business users.  My motherboard appears to have the header slot for it, but not the actual chip (sold separate).  Seems like the average price is $20-$30 to add.

Maybe Microsoft will dial back the requirements before launch, but if not you'll want to check if your motherboard has the capability and then ensure it is actually turned on within the BIOS.

CapnKirk

Hmm I know TPM is required for things like bitlocker.  I wonder if M$ is trying to push people to encrypting their disks. 


Grim.Reaper

I did find a way around it.  Appears that modern CPUs have another feature called PTT built into it that serve a similar purpose.  When I enabled that in my BIOS, my computer became compatible.  Still an odd requirement as I wonder how laptops and other devices will handle it.

Destraex

So far I have just had a look at a consumer basic video and it seems it's about market share through android support as well as moving start buttons and interface stuff which would be better off being a customisation option for the user. I find myself often confused by the CEO's sentence structure, he seems to start a sentence and then change the meaning at the end. He often sounds to me like this to me, "we are doing aircraft and very excited about it, but not doing aircraft, you see".

Put simply I kind of expected a 3D interface and a revolutionary virtual reality way of operating. Nothing I see is anything special so far.

I will look at some technical videos when I get time.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"