Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive releases November 18th

Started by Grim.Reaper, September 28, 2021, 11:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwolf

To me it looks good. Among other things they don't seem to do iconitis (instead use text labels).

It is IGOYGO, right? How is it decided how long your turn lasts?

solops

I'll probably get interested in this title at some point, as I have bought all of Vic's other games. But right now I begrudge any time taken away from polishing Shadow Empires, which has turned into one of my favorite games. I am not interested in navies and since I play only solo the air forces are not something I use as the AI cannot handle them. But there are lots of other things Shadow Empires could have polished up plus a few bug fixes.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

demjansk1942

Is Shadow Empire an easy game to play?  Thought of getting something different.  Getting tired of all the war 2 games

W8taminute

Quote from: demjansk1942 on November 03, 2021, 04:35:06 PM
Is Shadow Empire an easy game to play?  Thought of getting something different.  Getting tired of all the war 2 games

There's definitely a bit of a learning curve to Shadow Empires but once you get the hang of it the game is fun. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

solops

Quote from: W8taminute on November 03, 2021, 06:03:38 PM

There's definitely a bit of a learning curve to Shadow Empires but once you get the hang of it the game is fun.
+1. And if you ever played hex-map board wargames then you are already 75% of the way there. It shares a lot of common characteristics with Advanced Tactics. The scope of the game can be controlled by what size planet you choose. Also, disable aircraft in the game set-up, further reducing the load. The AI cannot handle them and it gives the player an unfair advantage, at the cost of more management :)  Air assets probably shine in multiplayer.

I will want a good Bulge game sometime and Vic may have made one, but I am just not focused that way right now.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Rayfer

Quote from: solops on November 03, 2021, 07:52:00 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on November 03, 2021, 06:03:38 PM

+1. And if you ever played hex-map board wargames then you are already 75% of the way there. It shares a lot of common characteristics with Advanced Tactics. The scope of the game can be controlled by what size planet you choose. Also, disable aircraft in the game set-up, further reducing the load. The AI cannot handle them and it gives the player an unfair advantage, at the cost of more management :)  Air assets probably shine in multiplayer.

I will want a good Bulge game sometime and Vic may have made one, but I am just not focused that way right now.

For me the learning curve was quite steep....it's a great game and has some really good YouTube 'how to play' videos available to help, but it is a game that requires a big time investment.

kludger

The main thing making look forward to this is the improvements like recon and change to battalion scale, which is much more up my tactical game preference versus the strategic scale of earlier WW2 DC titles. My anniversary coupon won't arrive until April so will try to stay patient, but I like what I've seen in YT videos so far.

devoncop

Definitely on the fence here,

Despite being a fan of the previous games the map seems very cluttered and I am not sure I really like the smaller scale on such a large map.

Maybe it's just me.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

devoncop

Watching the You Tube presentations this one is winning me over.

It is presented beautifully and seems to have an excellent UI.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Rayfer

Is it safe to assume it comes without a Steam code but will get onto Steam some time later?

bobarossa

Quote from: Rayfer on November 18, 2021, 12:32:47 PM
Is it safe to assume it comes without a Steam code but will get onto Steam some time later?
Have the other Decisive Campaign games made it to steam?
Will buy day after Christmas when my Anniversary Coupon arrives!

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Redwolf

Zulu1966

Have to say - stunning game. Absolutely recommend purchase.

If people get to work in the editor that seems a fully featured tool.

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.