Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

I do believe she could make me talk. And possibly beg, roll-over and any number of other tricks.

Curious, we know the Afghan War sapped the strength out of the old Soviet Union but does anyone know how popular/unpopular that war was in the minds of the Russian public back then? I know they didn't get all the facts and couldn't speak freely, but did the average Ivan on the street support that conflict like today's group support the Ukraine War? Or is this conflict more of a strictly Russian thing in their minds?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

^Read a book titled 'Afgantsy' by Briathwaite - it answers all your questions.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

Paraphrase for those of us who didn't, please!   :Party:

My understanding is that, over time, the number of burnt-out Soviet vets coming back from Afghanistan added up.  I think it was one of the contributing factors--along with an effort to liberalize Soviet civil and academic society--to the decline of popularity for the Communist government.  But I know just enough here to be dangerous.

Skoop

Quote from: SirAndrewD on July 24, 2023, 12:49:47 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 24, 2023, 12:33:58 AM
QuoteThe West sent too little and too late. [/

The UAF though needed armor and airpower.  Both could've been given earlier and weren't, and a lot of it was avoidable and was the pressure of lobbies I won't go into.

Pressure of lobbies you won't go into ?  Darn, I wanted to hear your take on that.  But it seems you may have been respecting devolving the thread into muddy politics.  Unfortunately, it'll go there with the looming 2024 elections.  I'm pretty sure Ukraine will play a part

Gusington

Because I love you fellers:

Afgantsy by Sir Rodric Braithwaite
https://shorturl.at/xBVW7

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

And we love you too. Not the, 'I'd share a toothbrush with you' kind of love but if you came by, I would give you a beer and bring-out the good party nuts.  :Hug:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

FarAway Sooner

When Gus hears the phrase "good party nuts", I think his mind might go somewhere different than the rest of us, Slash...   :beermug[1]:

Gusington

Always comes back to the party nuts...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Windigo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 24, 2023, 12:33:58 AM
QuoteThe West sent too little and too late.

the release of cluster munitions seems to be have quite the effect right now.

Trenches? Pffft

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Windigo

What I don't understand is why the russkies seem to cower down into their dugouts and trenches not moving at all. Are they scared shitless? Absolutely no training at all? Both? Maybe shell shocked too?

Another thought is why are their trenchlines so freaking messy; garbage everywhere. Might as well advertise that there is a position there.

JasonPratt

Someone in Russia: y'know what, let's hit the absolute farthest western Ukrainian port area, show them we mean business, no one is safe anywhere!

Variably sane person in Russia: but, well, lots of NATO ships transit that area, too, like Romania.

Someone: who the hell cares?! If they don't want to be hit by our drones they shouldn't be anywhere near Ukraine, even on a river border!

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Windigo on July 25, 2023, 02:32:21 PMWhat I don't understand is why the russkies seem to cower down into their dugouts and trenches not moving at all. Are they scared shitless? Absolutely no training at all? Both? Maybe shell shocked too?

Another thought is why are their trenchlines so freaking messy; garbage everywhere. Might as well advertise that there is a position there.

what else are they supposed to do?  they mostly dont seem to have any armor or ifv support and the Ukrainians are getting pretty good at shelling very specific areas that are getting assaulted.  an no, they arent trained properly.  as for the garbage... again what else are they going to do?  any trench line is going to be spotted by uav's and whos going to risk going above ground for a garbage collection point.
one of the more prolific russian shills today posted a video of "massive train of russian equipment heading to the front".  it was maybe a dozed trucks, 2 mine clearing tracks, 1 bmp, 1 tank and some farm equipment.  :idiot2:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.