Back in the water!

Started by MarkShot, August 23, 2012, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kushan

Quote from: Herman Hum link
Once you have H3, you don't need the later versions unless you have a fervent desire for multi-player battles.

So for someone completely new to Harpoon, you suggest starting with H3, not ANW or HUE? Does H3 work on 64-bit Win7? Part of my frustration with trying to get into Harpoon are all the various versions that are floating around with differing opinions of each.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Nefaro

Quote from: Kushan on October 01, 2012, 02:12:26 PM
Quote from: Herman Hum link
Once you have H3, you don't need the later versions unless you have a fervent desire for multi-player battles.

So for someone completely new to Harpoon, you suggest starting with H3, not ANW or HUE? Does H3 work on 64-bit Win7? Part of my frustration with trying to get into Harpoon are all the various versions that are floating around with differing opinions of each.

Harpoon3.6.3 works fine on Win7-64 here. 

The only thing from the past 8 years or so that doesn't work is the Scenario Editor in the Harpoon Classics because they don't jive with 64bit Windows at all.   :-[  But the game itself runs just fine (I'd say the best of all choices) on the latest & greatest.

Herman Hum

Quote from: Kushan on October 01, 2012, 02:12:26 PMSo for someone completely new to Harpoon, you suggest starting with H3, not ANW or HUE? Does H3 work on 64-bit Win7? Part of my frustration with trying to get into Harpoon are all the various versions that are floating around with differing opinions of each.

You will have less problems with H3 than with ANW or HUE.  Once you learn the basics with H3, then you might want to try ANW or HUE; they use the same basic commands as H3.  The problem with ANW and HUE is that they often behave in less than rational manners.  If you start with ANW or HUE, you might end up scratching your head and asking yourself, "Why the heck did THAT happen?"
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

MarkShot

Ah, the Harpoon virus has taken over this thread. Now, I don't have to worry about keeping naval warfare alive here.

Well, if I play, I'll post some feedback here.

MarkShot

Noch tiefe!

Creak, moan, creak, moan, ...

Herman Hum

All your naval are belong to Harpoon.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

Nefaro

I dunno... with the Steam & Iron campaign beta being released, it could easily go that way too. 

So the next naval warfare wargame I'll be tinkering with (again) will be that one.  :-*

MarkShot

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MarkShot

Go ahead, Herman, I know you want to say it!

I'll say it for you ... "if AGSI and Matrix has been in charge of convoy organization and defense during WWII, the Allies would have lost The Battle of the Atlantic".

What I want to know is whether Sir/Herr Hum would have found himself cracking codes at Bletchley Park or with Uncle Karl at BDU HQ?  I wonder who tolerated bug reports better Winston or Adolf?  (Perhaps, you would have spent your time engaged in the land war against the Man of Steel's unter mensch.)

Nefaro

Quote from: MarkShot on October 02, 2012, 04:58:37 PM
I wonder who tolerated bug reports better Winston or Adolf? 

LOL!

;D

Herman Hum

Quote from: MarkShot on October 02, 2012, 04:58:37 PM"if AGSI and Matrix has been in charge of convoy organization and defense during WWII, the Allies would have lost The Battle of the Atlantic".
You are mistaken.  If AGSI and Matrix were in charge, they would be telling us that there was no war, that we had won it. and that we should just shut up and enjoy our ration of sauerkraut and bratwurst .

Quote from: MarkShot on October 02, 2012, 04:58:37 PMWhat I want to know is whether Sir/Herr Hum would have found himself cracking codes at Bletchley Park or with Uncle Karl at BDU HQ?  I wonder who tolerated bug reports better Winston or Adolf?  (Perhaps, you would have spent your time engaged in the land war against the Man of Steel's unter mensch.)

Since Adolf didn't accept ANY bug reports, Winston must win in that category.  Maybe i would be one of the USN submarine skippers complaining about their faulty torpedoes.  And, having the same bug reports fall on deaf ears within the Ordnance Department.  What a fiasco that AGSI/Matrix repeat daily.  :)

MarkShot

Herman,

The torpedoes are fine it's your tactics that are at fault. Now, close with the enemy and do battle!

Herman Hum

You are absolutely right.  In the latest version of Harpoon (HUE v3.10), submerged submarines are able to board and capture nuclear-powered aircraft carriers without ever coming to the surface!

Maybe AGSI and Matrix should concentrate on writing television screenplays for the networks, instead.  They certainly could not do any worse than that Last Resort nonsense.

MarkShot

No gaming for me tonight, but some reading WWII subs. The detection ranges in this article are interesting:

http://uboat.net/articles/52.html

A year or two ago I had read declassified manuals of various systems of post WWII USA diesel/elec subs. Some really interesting reading.