Main Menu

Starfield

Started by Zulu1966, December 11, 2021, 04:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DetCord

"No, it's a rock. No indigenous life."

That's very hive like to me. I wonder if it's in the Zeta Reticuli system....





Quote from: SirAndrewDYou'll have time to learn from the mistakes of all of us who go in early.

My deciding point of Premium was the future DLC being included as well.  By all that's said and done it'll cost about the same for me either way and at least this way I'll get an extra weekend to waste.

Same here with regards to the first expansion. I also did it to get an early jump into modding it, which I've been doing with BGS games since F4. My first mod, which is already in progress, will be a simple retex for the default shoulder patch transforming it into several UC Colonial Marines variants. Started as a personal project, will likely release to the public.

This is also the first game I've pre-ordered in at least six years, and only did so after hearing my buddy with a review copy gush over it. Also, preload is live.    

SirAndrewD

Quote from: DetCord on August 29, 2023, 10:18:43 PMSame here with regards to the first expansion. I also did it to get an early jump into modding it, which I've been doing with BGS games since F4. My first mod, which is already in progress, will be a simple retex for the default shoulder patch transforming it into several UC Colonial Marines variants. Started as a personal project, will likely release to the public.

This is also the first game I've pre-ordered in at least six years, and only did so after hearing my buddy with a review copy gush over it. Also, preload is live.     

Sweet.  I'll be checking it out.

That's always the thing with BGS single player games, the modding possibilities are endless.

And preloaded!  Though it's not like that means much anymore in this era of download speeds and NVME drives.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Destraex

Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 29, 2023, 11:28:10 PM
Quote from: DetCord on August 29, 2023, 10:18:43 PMSame here with regards to the first expansion. I also did it to get an early jump into modding it, which I've been doing with BGS games since F4. My first mod, which is already in progress, will be a simple retex for the default shoulder patch transforming it into several UC Colonial Marines variants. Started as a personal project, will likely release to the public.

This is also the first game I've pre-ordered in at least six years, and only did so after hearing my buddy with a review copy gush over it. Also, preload is live.     

Sweet.  I'll be checking it out.

That's always the thing with BGS single player games, the modding possibilities are endless.

And preloaded!  Though it's not like that means much anymore in this era of download speeds and NVME drives.

I look forward to your reports good sir. Straight from the bridge of an imperial ISD (looking at your profile pic ;) )
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Destraex on August 30, 2023, 01:19:29 AMI look forward to your reports good sir. Straight from the bridge of an imperial ISD (looking at your profile pic ;) )

LOL, that nightmarishly accurate AI generated image of me.  It's still a bit frightening but I'm endlessly amused by the horror of it.

Yeah, I'll be posting impressions this weekend.  I'm excited.  This is to me what I've been waiting for since the olden days of Starflight and Star Control 2.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Destraex

Looks fine to me. You look a bit worried that Darth might swing by to ask about your progress any moment. :P
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Grim.Reaper

Reviews are flowing...seems like good but not necessarily great....but that isn't necessarily bad thing.  Although I was considering buying premium to start early but not sure if I will.  Look forward to more impressions

SirAndrewD

It'll be a late night.  I only scheduled one bloc of work for my podcast tomorrow and I'll be topping off my whiskey and steak tank before 7pm rolls around but I'll try to work in a few first impressions.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

I dunno. It sounds like a solid game, but not a Star Citizen killer like some have speculated.

We'll see. I upgraded to premium. Wife is working overnight tonight and I'm stuck with the kids, so I'll be lucky if I get any playtime this evening after release.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 31, 2023, 02:36:37 PMI dunno. It sounds like a solid game, but not a Star Citizen killer like some have speculated.
 

See, I didn't really expect a Star Citizen killer.  I more wanted a space based RPG, which I just never felt any of the current Space Sims quite cover as well.

I want the next great Starflight or Star Control 2.  Remains to be seen if that's going to be it, but the early impressions from reviews seem to encouraging.

More or less everything I've heard about it is what I was hoping for, but we'll see tonight.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Skoop

It's definitely not a Star Citizen killer but possibly a squadron 42 killer.  Hoping starfield will be the wake up call for CIG to focus on what it has that no other game in the genre has, the PU.

Gusington

This just popped up in my feed. There are some glowing reviews and some not so glowing.

https://www.pcgamer.com/starfield-scores-critic-roundup/
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Well, it's time.  After I'm done spending my last few precious minutes with the girlfriend this will be me...

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

Well, impression number one.  No 32:9 support, no brightness settings and no HDR and no FOV settings.

Very upset about the 32:9.  Can't play at all in full screen on my monitor because it squeezes the image up into "full screen" section in the upper left. 

Playing in borderless fullscreen shoves it into 21:9 with black bars and some distortion. 

Seems weird. 90% of the games in my Steam Library from the last 5 years have 32:9 support or can scale effectively to it.  This has been an issue with Bethesda games for a while, they're the only studio that doesn't adopt it.  Probably not an issue for many but it will be for me. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Skoop on August 31, 2023, 04:41:57 PMIt's definitely not a Star Citizen killer but possibly a squadron 42 killer.  Hoping starfield will be the wake up call for CIG to focus on what it has that no other game in the genre has, the PU.

I think CIG is about 10 years beyond any chance of a wake up call.

SirAndrewD

Already a hex edit mod available to fix 32:9.   Still a bit mad about this since Bethesda showed off Starfield playing on my monitor, a G9 in the resolution at Gamescom.

Now if only I could turn down the awful brightness.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback